Open Challenge #15: ARPs & LFOs [VOTING OPEN!]

That’s time on voting for this challenge. Time to announce winners!

1st: @Tchu
2nd (tie): @B_LD and @Annihilation_Squares
3rd: @waftlord

Congratulations to the winners, and well done to the whole crew for making some weird and wonderful entries. Shoutout to my co-host @bodymechanics (who also came up with the original concept for this round).

@Tchu, as winner, you get to set the new challenge and host the next one! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with

8 Likes

SILVER MEDALIST WOO HOO!!!

I had a lot of fun working within the confines of this challenge and I also look forward to @Tchu’s ideas for the next :0)

4 Likes

Oh, I didn’t expect that. Thanks everyone and congrats to everyone who submitted their experiment(s). It could have been anyone because all the submissions are really interesting.

Suggestion for the next challenge : I’ve been thinking about this for several time now and a One Oscillator Challenge could be very fun.

10 Likes

Hey hey! What a lovely surprise. Never participated in any kind of challenge and scoring a second place doesn’t feel too bad…
@Tchu I’m sure you come up with something similarly nice. You can count me in next time for sure!

4 Likes

@Tchu , what’s up with that New Open Challenge, eh?

7 Likes

Wow, has it been five months already? @Tchu don’t be shy, go for it! :grin:

6 Likes

Oh, thanks for the reminder. :rofl:

It won’t be before February, though. I hope I’m not interrupting the process on the way. If anyone as an idea about the next Challenge, go for it (or is it against the rules?).

1 Like

I read that as if you didn’t really intend to take the honor of hosting the next challenge. Which is the rule as far as I know. There might be good reasons preventing you from doing this. Happens to all of us sometimes. No hard feelings. We just need to know.

A good way to handle this might be to communicate openly and ask around if anyone else is willing to take that “burden” from you. At least to me this would feel better than just silently vanishing.

Please also keep in mind that these challenges are big fun and something with real community spirit. Would be a shame to lose them this way, wouldn’t it?

3 Likes

Oh no. It’s just that it won’t be until the beginning of February. I’m preparing a Live Performance and a DJ set right now.

As I said briefly in one of the posts, the Challenge will probably be « A Track using only 1 Voice ».

2 Likes

:clock1230: :clock1: :clock130: :clock4: :new_moon: :first_quarter_moon: :full_moon: :waning_gibbous_moon: :last_quarter_moon: :sun_with_face: :bikini:
This month is flyin by…

2 Likes

@Tchu still got an idea for the Open Challenge? Or should someone else take the reins?

@B_LD, @Annihilation_Squares, you two tied for second place, perhaps you might want to start talking about a concept for a new Challenge?

3 Likes

While @Tchu is not replying it seems we have to find another way.

I’d be willing to host the next challenge if @Annihilation_Squares is joining in (PM me to start finding a theme! :slight_smile: – If you don’t have time/… I would try and run it alone). I have no idea how everything works technically, though.

4 Likes

You can kinda set the stage however you want but if you wanna see how others did in in the past, here’s a list of all the previous challenges:

1. Open Battle #01: “soundtrack // transmission” Create a soundtrack for a video. No drum loops
  2. Open Battle #02: “Buchlaed” Number of steps per pattern must be 5 or multiple of 5
  3. Open Battle #03: ”Collabed” Create a track with another forum member
  4. Open Battle #4 - Mix first, ask questions later(ed) Record a live performance straight to a stereo track. No overdubs, no post processing, what you record is what you submit
  5. Open Battle #5 - A Human Touch No sequencing, no quantization (midi or audio, pre or post)
  6. Open Challenge #6 SUBMISSIONS NOW CLOSED Make a drum pattern featuring a sleigh bell
  7. Open Challenge #7 - Droning On Create a one-minute drone
  8. Open Challenge 08 1:30 or less, only 4 parts/instruments, must incorporate ASMR
  9. Open Battle #09 Summer Shake-up Sample/Reference a summer-themed song in a recognizable way
  10. Open Battle #10: Steamy Shellac Use the supplied train samples in your track
  11. Open Battle #11: Panda Headphonia All sounds must be HARD panned LEFT or RIGHT, ONLY. You must also include a “pan” instrument.
  12. Open Battle #12 - Eff ‘em! No Static At All You can only use FM radio recordings or FM synthesis
  13. Open Challenge 13: The Swamp Effect Make a swampy track (using only one effect)
  14. Open Challenge #14: Title Redacted Drum Battle
3 Likes

That’s a nice list to see what‘s been done already, thanks! :pray:t2:

Just a mere technicality: how do you consolidate all submissions into a single post for voting? Is that quoting or downloading local copy and upload again?

2 Likes

I did it by downloading/reuploading. There may be a smarter way to do it, though

3 Likes

I have an idea but, unfortunately, no time to manage the Challenge. Thanks for taking the lead for the next Challenge.

Sorry for that @B_LD! Thanks for hosting the next Challenge with @Annihilation_Squares!

:heart::pray:

4 Likes

I was definitely in the same boat when i had the honor of hosting my Challenge, but my advice is to cross that bridge when we get there. Someone will help you with the technicalities when the time comes, just get your idea out there and let it go from there. Of course, when i hosted i only had two, thats right, 2 submissions to deal with so it wasnt a big deal. If you dont know how to do the pie chart thing, simple maths will come through in a pinch. Get the creative juices flowing and deal with the bullshit down the line.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

4 Likes

Thanks again for encouragement! Have drafted something and will wait a couple of days for @Annihilation_Squares to reply. Planning to put this up sometime next weekend.

7 Likes

Woohoo! @B_LD has come up with an excellent idea for a new challenge and I’m excited to get into it with you all!

4 Likes

Here we go!

2 Likes