Open Challenge #15: ARPs & LFOs [VOTING OPEN!]

Welcome to Open Challenge 15! @bodymechanics and I have a new trial for everyone.

For this challenge, create a song using only ARPs and LFOs.

1. You can only use one trig per sequencer/track
    For example, if you are using a Model:Cycles, which has 6 tracks, you may place one trigger on each of its 6 tracks.
  2. All other effects/notes can only be triggered using LFOs and ARPs
  3. You can use as many devices as you wish.
  4. Must be recorded in one take. No multitrack editing or overdubs
  5. Keep submission to 3 minutes and under

This Challenge is open to the entire community and voting will be open to the entire community regardless of whether or not a piece is submitted.

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: July 30th midnight UTC -10

26 Likes

Does that imply its elektrons only?

3 Likes

No you can use any synths/machines/devices you want.
Just apply the 1 trigger rule to any use of tracks/sequencers

The idea is to use LFOs and ARPs to generate any evolving sequences.
The option to use 1 trig or sequencer note is for the ability to start the LFOs or ARPs.
But only 1 trig per track/sequencer so you only elaborate on it with LFOs and ARPs

3 Likes

That’s a cool idea. I doubt I’ll make anything myself but I’m looking forward to seeing what y’all come up with

3 Likes

Nice challenge, @sleepside and @bodymechanics! I’m looking forward to taking part. Seeing as how there wasn’t a round of voting last time and I just used my god-like powers as Challenge host to nominate you two as co-winners, I’m feeling like you should absolutely be included in the voting pool for this round.

3 Likes

I had a blast with the last challenge.
First one I have done.
Been on this forum for years, but never participated in anything like that

2 Likes

if time allows i’ll try cook something for this challenge. been a while since i last joined one.

3 Likes

So, that one Trig can’t be a Drone?

3 Likes

It most definitely can
It’s mainly about using LFO’s and ARPs

I would add if it’s a drone with no LFO or ARP it’s kind of missing the point.

But yes, a long drone with LFO modulation is totally fair game

2 Likes

So for the single trig/track, that trig can repeat as the pattern cycles or anything like that right?

Trying to make sure I have a thorough understanding of what is meant by a single trig per track.

2 Likes

The idea behind the 1 trig is mainly to keep from relying on the sequencer for programming anything elaborate.
You’re limited to one trig or sequencer entry on any sequencer any way your gear allows you to manipulate that one trig.
Trig conditions, it re-triggering per bar, is all fair game.

If you have 10 synths with 10 sequencers, you can put 1 trig on each

1 Like

Part of the thinking behind LFO and ARPs only was learning how Human League used to program the Roland System 100 to get complex rhythms.

4 Likes

Ahhh ok that makes sense thanks.

This is a fun idea!

2 Likes

So basically just fire up Mother32, 2 DFAMS, a Subharmonicon. Have the matriarch as clock. Patch trig and clock.

This battle is made for semi modular.

So you wanna get nuts, Let’s go nuts.

I’m assuming it’s only hitting play once though. So no run/stop?

1 Like

Incorrect. Each step on those things is a trig.
Triggering envelopes and notes.

2 Likes

Oh.

1 Like

There’s really no rules outside of what’s posted.
The 1 trig example works as stated in the OP with the Model:Cycles.
Whatever sequencers you have available, you can only use one manual trig or entry on it.
If you can place one trig on a sequencer and have it generate stuff on another, that seems within the rules.
If you have a gazillion sequencers, you can place 1 trig on any of them anywhere.
If you can use Bomes to translate 1 trig on a sequencer, to create trigs on other sequencers, that’s fine too.

The main goal is to not rely heavily on placing a bunch of trigs to generate something rhythmic, melodic or evolving.
For that you should rely on LFOs and ARPs

People with modular and semi-modular should be used to this kind of thing.
So if you’re creative you can definitely bend some rules.

Same with recording a live take.
Keep people from relying on a multitracking method, or sliding clips around in a daw to structure and arrange songs.
It’s about structuring and planning based off LFO’s and ARP’s and at most 1 trig per sequencer to record your live take.

2 Likes

One last clarification.

Can you still use performative actions like tweaking filters and detaining oscillators, or is this a hand grenade.

Set it and forget it.

1 Like

Thats totally fair game.
You can definitely manually modulate parameters to create whatever you need

2 Likes

So, I can do an entire beat with retrigs as long as there’s only one Trig per Track?

2 Likes