Open Battle #12 - Eff 'em! No Static At All

So here’s the parameters for the next challenge:

1. Record up to 3 min of audio from your FM radio or internet radio if necessary, chop it up as you please but only use one continuous recording for your final track. Make one single recording and only use that. Do not make multiple recordings and then pick and choose the best parts.

2. ALL other sounds must be made with FM synthesis

Can use any hardware or software, I believe most DAWs have a built-in FM synth. If you’ve needed a reason to dive into some FM sound design this is a great opportunity but presets are fine too.

Contrary to the title, please DO use static as a sound source.

Here’s to hungry reggae and funked up muzak!

Deadline will be 20 Oct. 2022, Submit your entry to this thread. Please also include the recording from your radio. Would be cool to hear random stations from around the globe.

Looking forward to hearing what you come up with!

13 Likes

Just when I put my hands back on the MM|MD duo… Accurate brief :thup:

5 Likes

A cool VST that can tune in streaming radio from all over the world, I’ve had a lot of fun with it.

Also, looking forward to using some combo of my new Opsix, Model:Cycles, Ableton Operator, and FM8!!!
[edit]
Oh I just remembered I picked up Ess’s new Max4live-based FM synth, Glänta. Definitely will have to use that too.

4 Likes

I have nothing good to add here, just wanted to say I LOVE THIS IDEA! Brilliant :clap:

1 Like

Hate to be that person… but to clarify do you mean " your FM radio" as in a sound from an FM radio device that you own. (This would mean for me using the radio in my car and probably recording static as all the radio stations here are shit)

Or… do you mean any FM radio accessed via the internet, in which case I can access Gander Airport traffic control in Canada, for example.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah that needs clarification. I will update the post. I wanted folks to just record whatever they pickup of their local FM dial and then work with it. However if it really is just gonna be static then use the internet. The main point is to use what you get and not to “dig” for the perfect sample

3 Likes

I’m not sure to understand static meaning. This definition below ? Can it be the noise when you change the radio frequency ?

crackling or hissing noises on a telephone, radio, or other telecommunication system.

That’s why OT Static machine is clicky ? :content:

Oh man, not @sezare56 and his octa jokes again :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Choped or continous ? I don’t get it.
Sorry, my english understanding is limited !

The questions are serious…

Yes the noise between the channels, if you have a rotary tuner this can be very musical

3 Likes

Make one single recording and only use that. Do not make multiple recordings and then pick and choose the best parts.

1 Like

Yep. I bought a cheap FM radio only for that. And I could control it with A4 CV ! I suppose AM radio is ok ? (Nicer sounds imho).

Ok thanks for clarification. I suppose we can change stations during the recording…

The theme is FM so please no AM radio

5 Likes

This is pretty wild - I had a similar idea in my back pocket in the unlikely event that I’d won, complete with the Steely Dan reference. Was thinking about pairing it with stereo panning usage inspired by John Chowning’s paper on Turneas but we did that already. The FM radio sampling is a new twist - I’m tempted to use old airchecks, which is a no-no ruleswise - but I’m not quite capricious enough to use it as an excuse to get an OP-1.

2 Likes

:scream: Best static though ^^

1 Like

Yes ! AM radio for another battle then, with AM sounds, in the morning only (AM).

2 Likes

Remember to use Fm chords only!

10 Likes

So you make one recording, but you can chop it up and use whatever parts you want?

1 Like

Yes