Open Challenge #14: Title Redacted

Watching videos of Drum Battles on YouTube is the inspiration for this Open Challenge.
Challenge:

• Your piece of music must have two “drummers”

• Each drummer must have a drum solo of at least 8 bars in length

• If using samples you must chop, slice, or otherwise rearrange and recompose. Using an unedited 8 bar sample of a drum solo is not allowed.

• The contents of each drummers “Kit” is open to creative interpretation.

• The remaining instrumentation of the piece is open to creative interpretation.

This Challenge is open to the entire community and voting will be open to the entire community regardless of whether or not a piece is submitted.
Submit your piece to this post and voting will take place in the not too distant future.
Whether or not you participate in this Challenge or have fun while doing so is open to creative interpretation.

10 Likes

May I suggest you simplify the brief? Its quite complicated, even for the drummers out there. Open challenge should be approachable to anyone.

4 Likes

You may. The wording? Or the challenge itself?
Two voices doing 8 bars of call and response.
That’s the gist.

The wording.
I could just be picky though. Tis early and my morning cuppa hasnt kicked in yet.

3 Likes

Soon as I’m done raking the yard I will edit the OP.
Always good to have a cranky, under-caffeinated editor reading over one’s shoulder. In fact, when it comes to editing, the red penis your friend.

2 Likes

So if someone makes 8 bars of 4/4 with bassdrum and snare it will be minimal example of what is this about?

After that you just add some synths, basses and are done?

Okay. Original post has been edited for clarity.
@Microtribe
@MetabaronCZ

2 Likes

Oh… I liked the earlier description where you said that each 8 bar drum part could be broken up into a call and response…

I’ll take that as interpretation? Cause I think I’m gonna do something like that

2 Likes

I’m not a drummer at all, and I think I can do two 8 bars, and then do a call and response by chopping up whatever I get made.

it might be fun to use two different boxes and have them “battle”. like sequence the Syntakt and the TR8S against each other for 8 bars each then chop them up for a call and response, using the original 8 bars as samples to maintain a motif.

1 Like

Yes. I like the idea of trading 4’s.

absolutely! go for it. this is the idea.

2 Likes

Oh… and what is the timeframe? Theres a couple battles going on, so I gotta organize the time managment.

Also, I’m sure its okay, but i may make it fast… EDM style… just warning everyone that I’m probably going to throwing some kicks around… maybe hardstyle…

Not to get too into the sauce… but maybe establish the motif in the two 8 bars… then kick the tempo up for a drop that is the call and response!

Thanks for clarification.

1 Like

I was intentionally keeping it loose so as to remain flexible with the other things happening. Id say we are a few weeks out from any sort of deadline, but i wont let it sneak up on ya.

consider us warned!

I blew the deadline for the swamp challenge, but I’m gonna try to go for this one.

Keeping Dave Lombardo’s new all-perc album in mind while I plan it out

1 Like

This sounds like a fun challenge.

I can hear OT Breaks vs TR8-S beats.
Wiv dutty synfs innit.

1 Like

Bumping this…
I know there are deadlines looming for other challenges battles etc, and i would love to see folks get involved with this one if they can.
I know that i dont do super good while working on multiple things at once, and i cant be alone there.

Ive got something going for this one that i like, and i really look forward to hearing what others come up with when the submissions start rolling in…Im also eager to hear whats been going on elsewhere.
:metal:

2 Likes

Except the wacky synth bits…

1 Like

Huh. I had assumed based on one of the other preview tracks that it was some pitch-shifting silliness, but I think you’re right

I’d like to get involved in this one, got a few ideas on the theme I’d like to experiment with but I do need to get the other 3 challenges I’ve got underway finished first.

2 Likes