Open Battle #09 Summer Shake-up

As the winner of Open Challenge #08 I have the privilege of coming up with the mission brief for Open Battle #09.

It’s raining and +10 degrees celcius outside here in Finland, so summer must be approaching. Hence the theme I picked is Summer Surprise Shake-up.

The mission brief reads as follows:

1. Pick a summer themed song. The Boys of Summer, Summer of '69, Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days Of Summer, Cruel Summer, Summertime Sadness… You name it!
  2. Include a recognisable bit of that song in your track. This can be done by various means: you can sample a snippet of the song OR play a melody from the song yourself. Just remember, the bit you’re lifting from a song must be recognisable.
    Edit: Should probably note that the idea is NOT to make a cover version of the song but take one or two bits and build a track of your own on top of that.
  3. Your track should not be longer than 3 minutes.
  4. Post your track in this thread. You can use Soundcloud, Bandcamp, Youtube or upload an mp3 file directly into your post.
  5. Also post a Youtube link to the track you’re using elements from, preferably by using the Hide Details function (if some people prefer not to spoil the surprise part).
  6. Let’s try to make this a slightly shorter Open Battle cycle by setting the deadline for July 4th.
  7. The winner will be decided by a vote and gets to host the epic Open Battle #10.

Hope lots of people are onboard for this one! Have a fun Open Battle everyone!

13 Likes

If I can get a decent means of sampling sorted in time then I’m in.

1 Like

Oh yeah, summer time!
:heart: :peace_symbol: :sunflower:

Joplin’s mine!
^^

Oh nevermind, another one came to mind:

3 Likes

knee jerk 15 minute horror mash up before i saw your edit for creating an original track around a summery sample choice. see this as an atonal nightmare that everyone can improve upon.

fearboys

https://youtu.be/_OIPDU8kCNo

13 Likes

It aint summer here in the southern hemisphere. So expect something cold dark and moist from me.

6 Likes

Sounds cool, just like the Finnish summer.

2 Likes

Three of the (imo) best indie rock songs of the 90s have “summer” in the title so I knew what I had to do. It took way longer than I thought it would but there was NO TURNING BACK. (I apologize… I couldn’t quite make it under 3 minutes but I got close!)

Here are the 3 songs:

4 Likes

Honestly I don’t know that it needs improvement. I love the demented pitch-shifting!

1 Like

Nice challenge. My sunny shake up.: :desert_island:

YouTubeLink

Who Loves The Sun (Mono) (2015 Remastered) - YouTube

9 Likes

Get that BPM up and you’re good. :joy:

1 Like

Started my summer holiday today, as NOT evinced by this melancholy track.

Based obviously on this beauty

Don Henley: The Boys of Summer

https://youtu.be/LeBTFjSUNMM

8 Likes

Over 20 degrees plus in Finland now! We go crazy! (What a sneaky way to bump this topic, right?) Anyone who uses bits from this song in their battle track is (almost) guaranteed to get my vote.

great job! I’ll be voting for you just for going with the VU!

1 Like

20 days to go! Still plenty of time to hop on board this challenge. Cos this time we’re not extending the deadline (who am I kidding?).

@Fin25 You got the OT? You’re in now, right? :wink:

2 Likes

I’ll do my best

1 Like

I’ll never do one of these challenges ( lazy / time / miotivation ) but if I won my new challenge would be - unheard tracks.

Make a track which you’ve never heard.
i.e program beats , melodies etc but never actually listen to it until it’s been uploaded and submitted .
The only indication that there is actual audio would be the display of a wave form or the blinking of leds on a mixer.

I see so many ‘ unheard mixes ‘ released, or ‘ unseen footage ‘ videos posted and that description is nonsense. In every case someone has looked at it or edited the video before uploading.

This challenge would at least be a little more truthful.

2 Likes

About a week till the deadline. Come join us!

2 Likes

A couple days left if my melted brain can still keep count. Four entries so far (same disclaimer).

2 Likes

Might miss this one.

Here’s mine:

Summary

https://youtu.be/GQQbjpomexo

3 Likes