Timestretch

Not sure if this has been done already but here it is anyway. This method requires a little bit of set up, but should hopefully work for everyone.

Settings vary depending on whether you use a 1,2 or 4 bar loop, and on the tempo stability of the original loop. I would recommend getting your original loop as clean as possible (in regards to your chopping/zero crossing etc). This might get revised as I play around with it somewhat.

In this example I’ll use a four bar loop of the Amen Break I downloaded from the internet.

Set the pattern length to 64/64.

I have the TUNE set to -2, and the FINE TUNE set to -22, at 120 bpm. This means that if I set a trig on the first step, I will roughly get a perfect loop when the pattern finishes on bar four. Aim to set the tune so that you get a loop playing as perfect as possible.

Place trigs on every step in the four bars. The fewer trigs you put, the less ‘accurate’ the time stretch will be.

In the TRIG menu, you should have the synth and LFO turned off, along the bottom row. Place a P-lock on the first step of the pattern, that sets the LFO trig to on for that step.

On the LFO Page, set the LFO to:

SPEED : +4
MULTIPLIER : X4
DESTINATION : SAMPLE START
WAVEFORM : RAMP
TRIG MODE : HOLD
DEPTH : +120

For 1 and 2 bar loops, increase the MULTIPLIER (to x16, and x8 respectively). If having problems with double timing or half timing, experiment with dividing or multiply the MULTIPLIER and DEPTH settings.

Press play, and start changing the tempo…

46 Likes

cool. Thanks for tip…

Nice, thanks!

Place trigs on every step in the four bars. The fewer trigs you put, the less ‘accurate’ the time stretch will be.

the sample is retrigged 16x per bar. i tried trigness locks and it had no effect i.e. the time stretching didn’t work

help… :slight_smile:

nevermind…

i was p-locking the whole LFO page…

now it works…

super dope

Wow! Didn’t see this coming! Much obliged :+1:

Nice one good use of Lfo!

can anybody explain why it works?

i’m curious and want to learn!

2 Likes

Essentially, by placing trigs, your dividing the sample into pieces. But instead of retrigging the sound from the start, your using the LFO, which is tempo sync’d, to scroll through the ‘pieces’ at a fixed speed.

Thats why you require the first trig to be P-locked to restart the LFO.

In theory you could use the triangle wave at the correct rate etc, and get the ‘pieces’ to play forwards and then backwards (in sequence I mean) etc.

You can also use it to timestretch a one shot sound over a period of time. But the more you stretch the sound, the more overlapping information you will get. As its not inserting gaps, like a traditional timestretch, but restarting the sample from a constantly moving location.

6 Likes

genius…

kudos!

Hah, clever! I have to try this!

Wow, very clever and works definately much better than I expected. Thank you very much!
By the way, with “decay” and “attack” at around zero you then can also use the “hold” at the amp-page as a stutter for the sample.

3 Likes

brilliant

Thanks so much for this technique! Getting insane results with it, also when adding more trigs with the described p-lock settings and messing with the SPD & MUL values.

1 Like

oh nice one!
Did you tried to set LFO wave to random? :alien:

yes, briefly, but more often tri & sine. Btw this technique also works with loops in sample chains if you alter the depth, speed & multiplier values. Settings depend on the amount of slices of the chain (i think) and with the sph you can then sort of toggle through your loops.

2 Likes

this with sample chains and Plocks on loop and end point and trig conditions, make for some killer “in time” glitches.

1 Like

Thank you for this excellent tip!

I tried it here and credited you of course:

8 Likes

And how it’s possible to timestratch one shot sample over a period of time?

I don’t have my AR anymore :cry:, so I might be wrong, but the settings in my original post should work for one shot samples. But you will need to pay attention to the MULTIPLIER settings, and might need to make some changes on the TRIG menu.

Hopefully, someone who has an AR can help out…

Its interesting to see this thread still catching people’s attention, perhaps when times get better I can buy an AR again and get experimenting.

3 Likes