Timestretch

So sorry you don’t have AR anymore, wish you’ll get one soon.

2 Likes

this idea changes a lot for me. Timestretching in Rytm, I never thought it was possible…

3 Likes

Thanks for this awesome technique. It’s limitless.

Just an add-in tip : for finer timestretching, you can create the first trig that triggers the LFO, and set the very next trig (not triggering the LFO) with retrig on 80 steps and INF (press the trig and then the upper arrow to enter the retrig settings). You get more increments and it eliminates the need to enter trigs on every step.

Cheers

12 Likes

The AR has timestretch !
Fantastic tip thank you

This idea really opens up the AR sampling side of things and with a few other obvious ideas it’s like a new sampler machine

Things I tired today:

:notes:As above, lock in retrigs - instead of one @ 80 try a few at different speeds
With retrigs it’s a different sound, I prefer the org trick

:notes:Lock in start and end times plus random Lfo - pretty obvious
Lock in different samples and highlight some at higher level with overdrive
Kinda becomes like the crtl al md trick crossed with the monomachine grains timestretch trick. Trig mutes also.

:notes:Bpms to turn up and down, different scales, different lengths, record the note thing

:notes:Time for me to Try a random arp from a key step, next

:notes:Cut and paste the track onto 3-4 tracks and change the sample

:notes:Fade in the drumsynth sound or lock it in on different steps

:notes:Resample via overbridge into ableton - timestretch again and quickly drop it back into the AR

quick demo of a tr606 sample chain that went a bit otherworldly

5 Likes

Another variation on this tip is :slight_smile:

Set up the lfo to sample select
Random lfo
High settings overall

Set sample to loop
Hold delay infinite in amp

Plock record a shit load of parameters - tune, start, end, lfos
Get the samples changing weirdly

Now mute the track

Next hold retrig on the track , full, infinite
Get out of the mute screen and trick the ar into sustaining the retrig

The retrig page should be still up in the corner of the screen - keep it there

Go to the lfo and you can muck around with the rates and depth and fadings
Half works well
And at the same time use the arrows to push the retrig up and down - so you can go from1-80

You can sample select scan with the lfos and latch onto random sounds and Scan thru the sample bank - use the lfo fade to lock onto something nice
Heavy reverb and delay will result in almost poly sample play like events.

In each screen you go to the retrig should be there, so head over to the sample section and mess around

For example Press the retrig up and down while changing the start at the same time

Enjoy

5 Likes

So many times i revisit projects with loops at a particular bpm this will be a great help in the future thank you all :smile:

Another trick for timestretch with minimal setup. I think I either read this somewhere else on the forum or was inspired by another post… so sorry if I don’t know who to credit here. It’s just 2 p-locked trigs!

For a 4-bar loop:

> Put your pattern scale in advanced mode
> Set your master length to 16, and your track length to 32
> Turn sample loop on
> Put a trig on step 1, p-lock sample start to 0 and sample end to 1, enable parameter slide
> Put a trig on step 17 (step 1 of page 2) and p-lock sample start 119 and sample end 120

You’re now ‘tricking’ the AR into windowing through the sample without using up your LFO. The concept works for 4, 8, or 12 bar loops but not 16. You’ll have to play with sample tune settings to get it to work, and it works best if your samples are faster than your track tempo

7 Likes

Hi. Is there a thread about this technique on Octatrack forum ?
I tried it on Ot and got really interesting results, using Retrig or Microtiming Trig Counts.
Plocking lfo speed to crossfader scenes, you can get crazy things. Thanks !

3 Likes

not work for me =(

I agree

Still making music? What are you using? This was an amazing discovery for me after 8 months of using the RYTM MK2. This technique on just one channel alone takes the RYTM into a basic Octatrack slicing territory.

I found something interesting with that technique :
Use a sample with a truncated loop, 120 steps instead of 128. Plock missing steps with steps 56-64.
You can also use several loops in the same sample :
64 steps, 16 steps, 16 steps, 16 steps, 8 steps.

No need to tune, easier plock and lfo values.
Can’t tell settings, need to check.

4 Likes

I’ll never stop making music. :slightly_smiling_face:

Using a Toraiz SP16 for drums, but did recently buy an OPZ as the sequencer looked interesting.

Crazy to think this idea stuck around for so long, but I’m glad its still useful for some, and its always interesting to see peoples variations, or alternate methods etc.

3 Likes

There’s not much buzz about the Toraiz SP16. What do you like about it? I wonder if this video was inspired by your technique… because I love this video.

1 Like

u r wizard
just buy another Elektron box and go back to finding awesome tricks dude :pray:

2 Likes

Hello,

I have some problems with these trigs which you need to put every steps.

If i understand good, for a 4 bars loop (64/64) sample, you will have 64 steps activated.
But each steps start again the loop.
Even if i P-Lock the first step of pattern 1 with the LFO, step 2 is with a normal trig function.

So i don’t understand how fix it ?

Thanks again.

Welcome. What are your lfo settings?

posted this elsewhere before but good to include in the timestretch thread.
it’s kinda been alluded to but this is the simplest method i use.

pseudo time stretch that frees up the LFO and uses just one trig so opportunity for trigless trigs etc, using Retrig
The sample should be a perfect loop (and you could prob do some interesting stuff with a chain and LFO shifting the start point within the chain)

turn off velocity to volume on the chosen track
in the velocity mod menu set one of the 4 modulation options to sample start point
set this start point modulation to +120 (maximum sample end setting)
place a trig on step 1 with 0 velocity
enable retrig on this step:
1/16 or 1/32 or higher (experiment changing resolution for different results)
length 16 (or length of the loop)
+127 vel

press play, change bpm

4 Likes

So my LFO for the track is off but only ON for the first P-Lock with this settings :

SPEED : +4
MULTIPLIER : X4
DESTINATION : SAMPLE START
WAVEFORM : RAMP
TRIG MODE : HOLD
DEPTH : +120

By the way, other trigs so these 63 others are without settings, i just put it on.

I’ve seen your post as well and I’ve tried it.

The loop is sync to the tempo but i have a problem…
During the first loop bar the volume is very low and increase to maximum.

It seems,
First step = 0 Volume or Velocity
Last Step = 127 Volume or Velocity