2 questions about sample usage

Hello comrades, been on an AR binge since i got it some weeks ago (so obviously got lots to learn). There’s so many purposes, especially with the lfo, that i might be overlooking some functionality, so i’m wondering if the following is possible:

Say i’ve sampled an arpeggio in 120 bpm, is there then a way that i can alter it’s pitch while the tempo remains the same?

Also, do people generally find that it’s worth it,in certain cases, to sample in stereo, with l & r channels seperated, or would it be satisfactory to use mono + methods to “spread” the sample (perhaps with panning or something).

a) there is a way, but it’s very audibly crude. You can simulate time-stretch/granular behavior with the start/end parameter on the sample.

On the first step of your pattern, lock start to 0, and lock end to something like 2. On the last step of your pattern, lock start to 118, and end to 120.

Then, enable parameter-slide for step 1 (hold the sequencer button for step 1, press bank d/h).

now if you hit play, the start/end parameters will scan over your sample, synced to sequencer tempo. If you change sample pitch, it stays in sync. But yeah, sounds clicky/glitchy :slight_smile:

b) personally I like it, but don’t really do it very often. After all you need to duplicate parameters/sequences between 2 tracks whenever you tweak something…

If you don’t need the delay for anything else, a quick&dirty stereo thing is to set delay time to 1, feedback to 0, pan the delay hard to one side, and the sound you wanna stereofy to the other side, and send it to the delay.

Hi void, thanks a lot for your answer!
I’ll investigate, i understand what you’re writing and am curious about how it will sound.
The alternative would be to painstakingly load quite a few differently pitched samples (treated in the computer so bpm will stay the same). It won’t be much fun though plus i’m afraid that the AR +drive will get sucked dry pretty quick.

And i’ll give stereo samples a shot, but will narrow it down to a select few that i feel that really will benefit from it.

I recall being pleasantly surprised at the viability of this (or very similar) nifty workaround …

also like the sound of the easier to set up glitchiness in void’s trick, must try that :+1:

Wow thanks! Will check asap. And agree about Void’s tip being super nice