Octatrack Grain Engine Petition

I’m all for this! Sign me up! :smiley:

I need to hear this put in a different way. I do not even begin to understand what you are doing but it sounds brilliant.

what about pitch shifts in the delay feedback loop for that shimmer verb sound? it seems like that’s the kind of sound a lot of people are referencing when they say granular.

i just wonder if a delay with a more complex feedback path even if it took two slots might be a more realistic development?

1 Like

haha yeah i love the cue method. can work well cueing up a track with a ton of delay at or near feedback. play that sound back through another track with a different short delay at or near feedback…! the time control can act as a tune control. fully wet reverb is nice too.

it gets interesting if you use re-trigs in the flex machine and micro timing on the record trig, but still…it would be nice if we didn’t have to pre-slice the sample and could set shorter record times

1 Like

fascinating!

i like the idea of granularness for the OT, if the code structure allows for it.

talking of new effects, i wonder if a ‘talkbox’ effect could be easier to pull off with the OT, compared to a ‘vocoder’ effect. similar, but different.

edit: i love how Borderlands Granular works its magic … admittedly an iPad app that relies heavily on the touchscreen, but the concept is cool. very cool.

X <---- my mark.
I’d love it.

I think really they have all that’s needed to realize this, maybe just make a copy of the flex machine with the retrig section switched to grain size and grain density parameters (those must be available inside the flex engine already, any timestretch-algo has these), that would be enough for me. I can do retrigs using the sequencer so that’s an omission I can live without.
Monophonic, or rather duophonic (two grains are crossfaded, this is how flex works right now) granular synthesis is quite powerful.

lol yeah that’s a good point about the time stretch. reduce the resolution of that to be closer to like old akais ! :slight_smile: and instead of automatically adjusting to the tempo, let it be user adjustable. maybe i’m assuming wrongly, but i’d think that would use less DSP power. it would be great if you could lock it. i think that would be a fresh take on the granular type of sound.
t
hat reminds me, you can get some nice stuff by setting the tempo of samples wrongly and pushing the time stretch by changing the BPM. tbh the time stretch not being super abusable seems out of character to me, because elektron usually takes what makes old devices interesting and updates it…

Thanks all that listning to my granular stuff. don’t really know how to explain…
Basically I’m using the octa more as a modular, routing sounds, samples, from track to track, using the sequencer and more…

I could mail or post my projects if any one is interested and show where i can upload them…

And of course I would love a grain machine… :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Anders

1 Like

Anders is da man!

His pioneering Octatrack+guitar work inspired me to get my own Octatrack. It’s not a perfect machine, but there’s no other hardware that does what it does. He really inspired me to stop looking for what it can’t do and just get to work…

1 Like

Hell yes!!!

Let’s figure out a way for you to share your projects with us. Or I can PM you with my email.

I’m blushing…
PM and I will mail,

1 Like

fascinating!

i like the idea of granularness for the OT, if the code structure allows for it.

talking of new effects, i wonder if a ‘talkbox’ effect could be easier to pull off with the OT, compared to a ‘vocoder’ effect. similar, but different.

edit: i love how Borderlands Granular works its magic … admittedly an iPad app that relies heavily on the touchscreen, but the concept is cool. very cool.[/quote]
oh i forgot to say, yeah you can do the pitch shift feedback shimmer thing with re-sampling and pitching up that track. it’s tricky to setup right, i find the octatrack doesn’t like to feedback as much as the machinedrum, but it can do some pretty cool tricks.

2 Likes

signed the petition, and bump now :slight_smile:

Pretty please with sugar on top.

A granular engine would make a lot of us happy.

100%

+1

The RYTM hasn’t received an OS update in over a year, and you think the Octatrack has a chance of seeing a granular engine update? Highly doubtful, even though I’ve been interested in maybe picking one up. I’d get one for sure if I knew this type of update was coming.

achieved an enjoyable harmoniser kind of effect by setting the chorus or flanger at a super fast speed … different speeds for different pitches … not sure of the settings as i’m a bit of a gypsy atm and don’t often write down settings.

1 Like

I had interesting grainy results with the Timestretch trick for Rytm.
With short recordings or samples, I place trigs with microtiming counts (2 or 4) at each step, and then I use and saw lfo on start, depth set to 64, start set to 32.
The results are the original sound if you adjust the lfo speed properly, or grainy things.
Does anybody worked on it ?

To achieve good grainy things, instead of signing that petition, my wish would be enveloppe triggering for the Retrig function (RTRG/RTIM), to obtain smoother grains. It works with microtiming trig counts but you can’t modulate it.

I wish regular fade in / fade out for recording, because actual fades a totally crappy and unusable.