Electronic/Sythesized Hip Hop/Rap Beat challenge

I know there is a monthly Hip Hop Battle already on this forum - I’m really not looking to step on toes.

I just though a one off, all electronic, non sample based challenge would be fun :slight_smile:. It will be very interesting to see what people squeeze out with the limitation (in comparison to the classic sounds of breakbeats and sampling of instruments from vinyl)

The only rule is that the beats and sounds, on the whole, should beIf synthesized. If you want to do some mild DAW or Hardware processing (e.g sticking a few drum buss effects on your overbridge stems in Live, sending through your OT compressor etc) then that is fine, but let us know what you did for transparency.
:slight_smile:

Also - the spirit of this I’d exploring an alternative electronic sound.

Will just keep this as an open ended post your beats in the thread type thing for now, as encouragement and support is cool. If it takes off and there are enough beats posted, I might set a deadline later on, and ask people to choose their actual competition submissions. Post as many beats as you like for now :slight_smile:

Hopefully there is some interest.

Lastly, if you still, like me, have a beat to submit for the current HipHop beat battle (kindly extended by a week), don’t slack on that :smiley:

12 Likes

If I had a syntakt I would definitely join this, great idea though, it could also be cool to have a4 rytm (no samples) or dn one too

Curious to see where this goes

My worry was how many people have Syntakts yet haha - this thread is slower than others he moment for the obvious reason Syntakt is a bit newer.

AR (no samples), Model Cycle, Digitone seem compatible with this challenge…

I have an ST, interested but for the moment I…

If any mod wants to edit/move the thread, I’m happy to make it a more generalised ‘electronic drums/sounds only’. That is mostly what is interesting me.

Maybe that’s lazy and I should do it myself… I can do it later but have to start work. I’m already late starting due to syntakt knob twiddling

Fun challenge! I like the Syntakt focus, because I have one :smiley:. I get that it’s restrictive. If this goes ahead, I’d join in. Gonna go crib some inspiration from old Dabrye records…

1 Like

I don’t have a syntakt but I’d be up for a non sample based challenge if I’m allowed to use a drum synth plugin and a few soft synths…

1 Like

I’d say that’s fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve edited the thread title and challenge blurb :slight_smile:
Not sure if I can move the thread myself?

1 Like

Just sitting in the car on my way to my first real vacation in two years and coincidentally I brought the Syntakt (amongst 2-3 other things) with me so this comes just at the right time.

Good decision to not restrict it to Syntakt only but allow other synthesized sound sources well.
Here’s a hybrid thing I made a few weeks ago, the Digitakt just adds a little extra layer on the drums. Just a loop though, have been swamped in work lately.

6 Likes

so will this be a challenge with a dead line and rules or this just a topic to paste hip hop beats which were mostly made without samples?

I reckon maybe its a warmup to an official future competition.

I need practice haha - I’m so used to a certain routine/workflow of boombap with breaks and samples etc, but I’ve been gravitating way more towards Hip Hop/Rap which is heavily electronic in recent times, and want to have a go myself

Also Hip Hop has some of its roots in the golden age of analog synthesis, back in the early eighties electro was a thing that I really loved and still do to this day, absolutely shed loads of those early electro and rap tracks were chock full of synths and early drum machines like the 808 etc…

5 Likes

One could also argue that Hip Hop has always been a form of electronic music since it used electronic instruments since the beginning. They just happened to focus on organic music as a sample source so it just didn’t sound like electronic music.
Around the 2000‘s there was also a slight shift when producers like the Neptunes had quite an impact with their music which didn’t rely on samples.

2 Likes

Agree with all that!

Technology, and pushing it, has definitely always been at the forefront of Hip Hop.

1 Like

I’m gonna start my efforts with sugarbytes drumcomputer I haven’t really given it much time since buying it but now seems like the perfect time to explore it and have a go at some blip bap…:grin:

I’m down for some synth based tracks. I’m assuming that I can sample the synths though, right?

Yeah.

Since I did away with the idea of it being syntakt only, by public demand, I’ve mostly been sampling it in to Octa and fucking shit up.

1 Like

Got something brewing :slight_smile:

IIt’s helping me get a grip on the Octatrack a bit too :slight_smile: