Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 27 | Viejas Raíces - Mira tu

Welcome to another new edition of our bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza!

Thank you all for joining @natehorn and I for another week of sampling goodness! Before we get into our artist and track in focus, and in case you aren’t already aware, there are some other Mission Briefs/Challenges currently taking place that you may also fancy spending some time on here:

This is a surprise find that comes from a much less friendlier era in Argentinian history that was the the last military dictatorship in Argentina (also one of the bloodiest periods of that country’s history). If you don’t know who this band is then we share something in common, today. Let’s find out more about Viejas Raíces, and their track “Mira Tu.” The song comes from their 1976 release, De las colonias del Río de la Plata, which was released on the Trova label (DA-5009).

Here is what little I could find about the album, and some of their band members, from Wikipedia and various sites:

Essentially the brainchild of Argentinian jazz’s leading figure Jorge López Ruiz, the project Viejas Raíces marked Lopez Ruiz’s departure from the traditional forms of jazz. The trio that recorded this album, consisting of López Ruiz joined by his life-long friend drummer Pocho Lapouble and gifted Chilean pianist Matías Pizarro, created a thrilling blend of jazz and Uruguayan candombe, surrounded by an undeniable cinematic feel spurred by López Ruiz’s long experience in the soundtrack field. When read as one element, the cleverly chosen combination of group name and album title (in English: ‘Old Roots of the Colonies of the River Plate’) readily hints at the kind of sounds the listener will be challenged with when diving into this LP.

Recorded in 1976 in the wake of the “Proceso de Reorganización Nacional”, the bloodiest period of dictatorship in Argentina, the album was initially frowned upon by critics and public alike, both still firmly rooted in jazz traditionalism and obviously not ready for the new ideas that musicians like López Ruiz were experimenting with. Despite being a commercial flop upon its release, the album has been enjoying a growing reputation over the last two decades, acclaimed by jazz enthusiasts who value it from a different historical perspective and embrace its experimentation during this revolutionary period of change.
He was a regular participant in a series of informal folkloric improvisation and experimentation meetings at Eduardo Lagos 's house , humorously baptized by Hugo Díaz as folkloreishhons , which, in the manner of jazz jam sessions , used to bring together Lagos, Astor Piazzolla and Díaz, with other musicians such as López Ruiz himself, Oscar Cardozo Ocampo , Domingo Cura and Oscar López Ruiz , among others. 2 With his quartet he was awarded by the Konex Foundation as one of the 5 best jazz groups of the decade in Argentina. -from www.diggersdigest.com

Jorge López Ruiz ( La Plata , April 1, 1935- Buenos Aires , December 11, 2018) 1 was an Argentine musician , composer and double bass player, performer and arranger of various genres of popular music, especially jazz .

In his work, El Grito (1967) and Bronca Buenos Aires (1970) stand out , banned by the military dictatorship . In popular music he has been an arranger and composer of songs for Sandro , Leonardo Favio and Piero , among others. -translated by google from www.wikipedia.com

“One of the coolest records we’ve ever heard from this legendary Argentine pianist – a set that has Jorge Lopez Ruiz playing lots of Fender Rhodes, and mixing it in with both rootsy Latin percussion and a number of other keyboards too! The set’s almost a South American version of some of Herbie Hancock’s work with the Headhunters – with more traditional percussion passages in the mix, but blended with sounds that include Arp and mini-moog too – which gives the whole thing a criss-crossing vibe that alternates from the surface of the planet to the deeper ranges of the cosmos! Ruiz is wonderful throughout – often very spacious, in a thoughtful way that only makes each note have more power” - -from www.dustygroove.com

There is only one version of the track available on YouTube, so I hope no one experiences any regional playback issues:

Here is a link to the FLAC version of the track and a version that has been converted to 16bit/44.1KHz wav, please delete it after using:

VIEJAS RAICES - MIRA TU (FLAC)

VIEJAS RAICES - MIRA TU (WAV)

links are active for one week from today (10/14/23)

Album Photos:

images from google search

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family, and even the stunt double for legendary actor, Christopher Walkins.

Mission:

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

Deadline: Sunday , October 15, 2023

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, October 15, 2023, or be faced with a brief moment of self-loathing for not participating. Submissions entered on later dates are also welcome!

Compensation:

Hearts and compliments from the community
(not guaranteed)

You can use as much or as little of the sample track as you like, you just have to use it. No winners, no losers, just good times!

Every two weeks we will post a track from our record collections, ideally something you’ve not heard before. Jams, full tracks, noodles - share whatever you like!

7 Likes

Love this track!

2 Likes

Glad you like it man! Working on a funky remix, and hopefully I can get it out soon to charge you guys up a bit. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised :older_man:

Had a late night random moment of inspiration that continued on to today with a silly sample, but I decided to roll with it lol and hope finds you all well.

7 Likes

A quick and dumb. Octatrack, ableton and heavy fiddling on the retroverb filter.

5 Likes

@proskynesis Providing a surge of energy like a lightning bolt :muscle: This is such a fun jam and had me hopping around in my chair this morning! Thanks for sharing man :beers:

2 Likes

I have some ideas for this one but a crazy schedule, will try and fit it in at the weekend!!

3 Likes

Had another chance to play around with this one. I really hope that others didn’t have a hard time playing with this sample because I myself wound up, as my father would say, “having to squeeze rocks for water,” while trying to find sampleable parts. Anyways, wishing everyone a lovely rest of the weekend :beers:

3 Likes

This is hard mate and I really dig your blackstar track too.

@proskynesis this is cheeky as, I love it.

Not an easy sample to mess with for sure @aarb420 but it’s a good challenge and I’ve been giving it a go. Gonna submit something later even if it’s not much. Haven’t done any music in over month as the old mental elves have been kicking my arse (brain. My arse brain?!) again but it’s good to have a play again :raised_hands:

1 Like

@looms Thank you man! :beers: Yeah I initially got excited about sharing the song because it had the solo keys, then some solo drum parts, but ultimately wound up not even being able to use much haha. There are other tracks on that album that are great, as well, and idk why this one stood out the most, at that moment. Once in a while, the source song/sample just sounds pleasant to listen to, and winds up playing mind tricks on these digs :rofl: Speaking of, wishing for those booty elves you speak of to mind their own business (get back to making cookies, damn elves!), and to allow you to drop those hits we’ve come to know you for! :muscle:

1 Like

Thanks for your words on those pesky mental elves mate :slight_smile:

It’s an awesome song! I think it changes up time signatures in different sections which is pretty confusing for us largely 4/4 mortals haha.

Here’s some… audio. Started with chopping in Serato Sample, doing some drums on the SP-16 then throwing the whole lot on the 404mk2 and got messing. Also some outside samples, one from an ooooold beat battle here (the chugging guitar-like sound in the background) and some one shots/fx from this which was a freebie some years ago. Live takes recording into Ableton triggering one shots and effects so it’s sloppy and not mixed or anything, Fun experimenting though.

3 Likes

@looms man that first track is a voyage through the cosmos :ok_hand: Those sweeps that came at the 3:50ish mark were lovely to listen to on the first track, and has the makings of a heavy movie/show scene backing track! But you played us with that first drop, while setting up that spike for that second track :wink: Both dope man, the second is a fresh beat that keeps on building, and thanks for sharing those raw flavors! :beers:

1 Like

Cheers mate! Yeah the second one comes in a bit bang bang levels wise after the first :hear_no_evil:

1 Like

@looms the levels sound cool on my Sennheiser headphones :ok_hand: Lots of energy in that beat and a dope melody crafted with the guitar sounding sample! :beers:

Also, @everyone thank you for hanging out and joining @natehorn and I for another round of sampling this past week, and for sharing your wonderfully designed tracks with us! Hopefully, I’ll be able to provide a more suitable sample-worthy track on the next dig, as this track was a little lite with the fruits. Until then, I hope you all have a great week ahead, and make some sweet strides in whatever life steps you’re currently navigating! :beers:

4 Likes

I actually love this track and I’d love to do something with it, but I’ve been a bit slow getting around to it.

I love weird time signatures so I was thinking if I could do something with the 7/8 section.

I sometimes wonder if anyone will be interested if the deadline has lapsed.

1 Like

@monquixote as long as you feel good/ have fun when creating your track, every other thought that follows is just extra man. The deadline is there to keep things fresh, and so that we can keep searching for the next sample that’s going to bring the most joy for @everyone - both makers/listeners :muscle: You are always welcome to submit a track whenever the inspiration strikes/ life events allow you to man, and likely should not be met with any gripes regarding upload time, unless there is some wildly random racist agenda somehow laden in the track (or similarly ridiculous scenario in nature), in which case the gripes are to be expected :older_man: I speak for myself, but I’m always interested in seeing where the familiar faces that hang out here are at in their respective creative voyages, and what future combinations are going to be stitched together by them :beers: Idk about @everyone, but when I hear a beat come out of these threads it genuinely excites me that you guys are able to see and paint different environments that weren’t considered myself in my own process.

1 Like

I quickly boshed one out in an hour just for lols

I thought I’d go with the theme of folks struggling to write a 4/4 banger against something that’s in 7/8 and make a horrible 4/4 7/8 polymetric mashup where the riff keeps moving against the beat and it doesn’t know what time signature it’s in.

Not sure it fully works, but it amused me :rofl:

4 Likes

@monquixote that’s a :fire: jam, and had all the atoms dancing in the body out of nowhere when those naughty drums and bass came in! Thanks for sharing and charging us up man :beers:

1 Like

That’s a great head fuck right there mate. Nice!

2 Likes

I also did a version that’s actually in 7/8

What do you prefer 7/8 or Polymetric?

3 Likes