Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 29 | Jon Lucien - You Are My Love

Welcome to another new edition of our bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza!

Thank you all for joining @natehorn and I for another week of sampling goodness! Before we get into our artist and track in focus, and in case you aren’t already aware, there are some other Mission Briefs/Challenges currently taking place that you may also fancy spending some time on here:

Sincere apologies for the slight delay in getting this posted for @everyone, as the niece and nephew caught me mid-dig Saturday afternoon, and demanded every ounce of attention from that point on. As a result, the “deadline” will be extended an additional day. The sample track for this week is a smooth, soulful jam, Jon Lucien’s “You Are My Love.” It is the fourth track from the album Song For My Lady, which was released in 1975 by Columbia Records (PC 33544).

Here is what little I could find about Jon Lucien from Wikipedia and various sites:

Lucien Leopold Harrigan (January 8, 1942 – August 18, 2007), known professionally as Jon Lucien, was a singer from Tortola in the British Virgin Islands. His parents were Eric “Rico” Lucien Harrigan and Eloise Turnbull Harrigan of Tortolan families. His father was a musician whose main instrument was a three-coursed Latin guitar-like chordophone known as a Tres.[1]

Born in Tortola in 1942, Lucien was raised in St. Thomas. As a teenager, he played bass in his father’s band. During the 1960s he moved to New York City.[2] While performing at a party, he was discovered by an executive from RCA, which released his debut album (I Am Now, 1970) of pop and jazz standards.[2] Lucien said the label attempted to market him as a “black Sinatra”. His second album, Rashida, contained only songs written by Lucien, with “Lady Love” receiving radio airplay.[2] Dave Grusin received a Grammy Award nomination for his arrangements.[2][3] He recorded two albums for Columbia before making guest appearances on Yesterday’s Dreams by Alphonso Johnson and Mr. Gone by Weather Report.[2][4]

His daughter drowned in 1980, and he spent much of the decade struggling with drug addiction.[5] He returned to music with the albums Listen Love (Mercury, 1991) and Mother Nature’s Son (Mercury, 1993).[2][4] Another daughter died in the crash of TWA Flight 800,[6] and Lucien dedicated his album Endless Love (1997) to her.[2]

He died of respiratory failure in Orlando, Florida, on August 18, 2007.[7]
- from www.wikipedia.com

This is Lucien’s first album with Columbia. After making three albums for RCA in five years, he didn’t attain superstar status, but this, as well as early-'70s efforts I Am Now, Rashida, and Mind’s Eye made Lucien one of music’s most respected though sluggishly selling acts. This 1975 effort deftly mixes cover versions of well-known songs as well as Lucien’s always-creative originals. With a switch to a bigger, more influential label, the changes are minimal. The instrumentation and production are little more palpable, but not by much. The biggest difference here is Lucien’s voice; it became warmer, more polished, and accessible. But while that looks great on paper, with an artist with a strong persona like Lucien, it’s either going to be hit or miss. He is undoubtedly on his game here, and like the rest of his catalog, this is alternately eccentric and romantic. Due to the production and his focus, Song for My Lady became the album which all of his subsequent efforts were measured against. On his brilliantly arranged and sung cover of Antonio Carlos Jobim’s “Dindi,” Lucien uses all of his registers, from the high-pitched sighs to the croaky lows. His take on Bernard Ighner’s “Motherland,” however, went on for one minute too long. That being said, everything Lucien did on this effort was at least interesting. “Maiden Voyage” is a remake of Herbie Hancock’s classic instrumental. Although “helping” a woman through her “first affair” wasn’t hinted at on Hancock’s original, Lucien saw a prime opportunity. With lyrics like “Time for your debut,” and “Soon you’ll cry, lovely things you’ll say,” Lucien was inspired enough to turn in one of his most assured and fulfilling vocals. He also succeeds with the uptempo offerings. “Soulmate” and “Creole Lady” both display odd production values and his almost naïve though likeable takes on love. The atmospheric title track has him crooning such lines as “Tell her that I care, tell her spring is here,” like it’s pure poetry. Song for My Lady didn’t make Lucien a giant star, but it’s simply one of the more visionary and satisfying albums of the jazz/R&B genre.
- Review by Jason Elias for www.allmusic.com

Here are two versions of the track available on YouTube, in case anyone experiences regional playback issues:

Here is a link to the FLAC version of the track and a version that has been converted to 16bit/44.1KHz wav, please delete it after using:

JON LUCIEN - YOU ARE MY LOVE (FLAC)

JON LUCIEN - YOU ARE MY LOVE (WAV)

links are active for one week from today (11/05/23)

Album Photos:

images from google search

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family, and even the talented artisans who prepare the dough at your favorite local pizza shop.

Mission:

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

Deadline: Monday , November 13, 2023

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Monday, November 13, 2023, or be faced with a brief moment of self-loathing for not participating. Submissions entered on later dates are also welcome!

Compensation:

Hearts and compliments from the community
(not guaranteed)

You can use as much or as little of the sample track as you like, you just have to use it. No winners, no losers, just good times!

Every two weeks we will post a track from our record collections, ideally something you’ve not heard before. Jams, full tracks, noodles - share whatever you like!

11 Likes

Lunchbreakhouse

6 Likes

@proskynesis the groove keeps blossoming like a beautiful flower :fire: Started us off on a strong note man thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

That sample is great, for some reason my network adaptor on my laptop isn’t showing any connections, so I can’t download it.
Which is annoying when you’re eager to chop it. :joy:
I’ve rebooted half a dozen times, hopefully it’ll come back on or I might have to use koala

2 Likes

Great groove! My car’s subwoofers say thank you

3 Likes

This is the universe charging you up with frustrated energy, so that you can transfer it into a massive beat! :wink: Hopefully, it comes back soon man that’s one of the worst feelings. Idk what data rates are like in your area, but can always try downloading on your phone and transferring to the computer? File is a bit juicy though at almost 40mb, so wouldn’t want you to eat your monthly cap up with a single file.

1 Like

Cheers for the advice buddy.
I’ve already started on Koala on my phone.
And out of desperation I’m system restoring my laptops last update and hoping for the best it’ll find the WiFi adaptor.
Diagnostics is saying my network adaptors driver may be missing so I thought I’d give that a go.

If it’s still like it tomorrow I’ll Just plug a lead into the router (if I can find a lead) to download stuff, the router is in the hallway so it’s not somewhere I chill out haha

1 Like

The psychedelic side of Jon Lucien:

Stems of the original song here:

5 Likes

@Enrico_Pallazzo Is this a full on production with you playing the instruments out man?! Such an amazing, heavy track :exploding_head: Thanks for sharing with us, and also for providing the track stems man!

Really wish my computer could provide those for @everyone, but continues to have a stroke each time using the stem splitters, unless it’s only stripping the vocals :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

My computer would take about 5 hours to stemroll this track. I usually work with the OGtrack but sometimes I just chop out like a bar or a short part if I want the vox or something and feed it to stemroll. Just a tip!

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I did, I tried it first with koala but the quality was terrible and then my laptop took about 90 minutes to separate about 25 seconds of it

1 Like

3 Likes

Here is this weeks entry.

I decided to get silly and smashed everything up into a shiny breakbeat granulised, chop up mess.

I’m not sure it’s art, but I enjoyed it.

5 Likes

@proskynesis Your tracks are really nice.
Now I have a question: your Bandcamp says that these songs were released May 2, 2023, but this challenge was born just 3 days ago: how do you explain this? I’m confused

1 Like

Thanks Enrico. I guess its when the bc album was created. Bandcamp is a mystery to me.

Clever workarounds for the stems guys will keep that in the head for the future thanks for the :fire: tips!

@proskynesis man you’re working like a :fire: factory lets go man! :muscle:

@monquixote man that was a groovy journey and those buildups are some serious candy flaves! Thanks for sharing man :beers:

2 Likes

Cheers dude.

I’m just in such an old skool place at the moment that it’s just all about the 808s and 303s

2 Likes

Here’s a remix for an artist that sadly just found out passed away in 2003 to some unfortunate circumstances that a lot of people don’t seem to agree with (suspicious suicide a year after releasing his second album). I thought he was still alive this whole time. He’s actually one of the earlier hip hop artists to release his album on his own label, and sold 50k copies! Used to hang out with Nas/the Firm. RIP Half A Mill :beers:

3 Likes

Nice stuff everyone :slightly_smiling_face:
I made one, started it in koala and finished it in Ableton.

3 Likes

@Yabba This beat is shiny and that was a fun ride! That’s neat that you used Koala on this one man what was that like for you? Thanks for sharing :beers:

1 Like