Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 22 | One Way - Runnin' Away

Welcome to another new edition of our bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza!

Thank you all for joining @natehorn and I for another week of sampling goodness! Before we get into our artist and track in focus, and in case you aren’t already aware, there are some other Mission Briefs/Challenges currently taking place that you may also fancy spending some time on here:

After riding the current of the jazzy high @natehorn blessed upon us during the last challenge, it was hard not to remain on that spirit, which caused some strife in not picking another jazz track. Initially, this challenge was to be focused on a large, but new to me, jazz bassist by the name of Richard Davis, but unfortunately, it was difficult trying to source a decent copy of the song/record online.

With that being said, and in an attempt to provide tracks with nice quality versions online, we’re going to be taking a closer look at the massively funky group One Way, and their track “Runnin’ Away.” The track is the last of eight on the band’s album Who’s Fooling Who, which was released in 1982 on the MCA record label (MCA-5279). This track is for all of us who have learned the difficult lesson that it’s better to have loved and lost, then to never have loved at all (although the lyrics can get a little too real in some sections).

Here are some bits about One Way, and their album from wikipedia:

Detroit vocalist Al Hudson, guitarist Dave Roberson and bassist Kevin McCord founded Al Hudson and the Soul Partners in the mid '70s.[3] Other members included keyboardists Jack Hall and Jonathan “Corky” Meadows, drummers Theodore Dudley and Gregory Greene, Gary Andrews and guitarist Cortez Harris.

They recorded several singles for Atco Records before joining ABC Records and made their debut with the LP Especially for You in 1977.[4] They recorded their second album Cherish that same year and released their third album Spreading Love in 1978 from which the single Spread Love was released. Although not charting in the UK, it became a big hit in the clubs. By that time ABC Records was in the process of being bought by MCA Records and vocalist Alicia Myers joined the group. They released the album Happy Feet as Al Hudson and the Partners in 1979 which contains the R&B hit “You Can Do It” which was co-penned by Myers. The single also peaked at number 10 on Billboard’s Disco Action Top 80 Chart in June 1979, as well as a top 15 hit in the UK.[5]

When the band moved to the MCA label, they subsequently changed their name to One Way featuring Al Hudson. Their next album was simply called One Way Featuring Al Hudson and was also released in 1979. The album included the long 12" version of “You Can Do It”. Their 1980 album was also confusingly called One Way featuring Al Hudson. By 1981 the band was simply called One Way.[4]

In 1981 frontwoman Alicia Myers left the band to pursue a solo career. She was replaced by Candyce Edwards, who served as female lead of the group from 1981 to 1985. Edwards’ debut was on the Fancy Dancer album and she remained with the group throughout their biggest successes. After Edwards left the group, Jeanette Mack-Jackson became the Lead female vocalist of One Way. She still sings with them, She’s been with the group for 30 years and she is also on many albums singing.

They were on MCA from 1979 to 1988. They scored five top 10 U.S. R&B chart hits, with the biggest being “Cutie Pie”, which reached number four in 1982.[3]

They had two more minor hits on the UK Singles Chart with “Music” (1979) and “Let’s Talk” (1985).[5]

They moved to Capitol Records in 1988, where they released their final album, A New Beginning,[3] later that same year. By this time, only Hudson, Roberson, and Meadows remained from the original line-up.

In 2019, after a 31-year hiatus, One Way featuring Al Hudson released their 12th album, New Old School.

Who’s Foolin’ Who is a 1982 album by the Detroit R&B band One Way.

The album includes the band’s highest chart appearance in the United States, “Cutie Pie”, which peaked at #61 on the Hot 100 (the band’s only foray onto the Hot 100), #29 on the dance charts, and #4 on the R&B charts.[3] The album’s title track, “Who’s Foolin’ Who” was also released as the lead single, peaking at number 34 on the R&B chart.[4] It did best in South Africa, where it reached number seven.[5] “Who’s Foolin’ Who” has been covered by the Eurodance band, Double You on their 1992 album We All Need Love.

The album itself peaked #51 on the Billboard 200 and #8 on the R&B charts. Aside from 1984’s #1 R&B album, Lady, this album is the highest charting in their seven-year run.

Incidentally, former One Way vocalist Alicia Myers released a solo album that same year (1982) entitled I Fooled You this Time.[6] It is unclear which album (Myers’ or this one) was recorded first, but evidently, the similarity in album titles was intentional. Specifically, if her album was released first, then One Way’s album title Who’s Foolin’ Who can be seen as a sort of “response” to her album, or vice versa. The songs on Myers’ album were written and produced by One Way bandmembers,[6] so apparently, the whole sequence of events was tongue-in-cheek, and there was no animosity between the two camps.

Here are two different youtube user uploads in case there are regional playback issues:

Here is a link to the best available .mp3 version of the track and a version that has been converted to 16bit/44.1KHz wav, please delete it after using:

ONE WAY - RUNNIN’ AWAY (MP3)

ONE WAY - RUNNIN’ AWAY (WAV)

Album Photos:

from google search

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family, and even the kitchen crew at your favorite taco spot responsible for pulling delicious meats.

Mission:

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

Deadline: Sunday , July 30, 2023

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, July 30, 2023, or be faced with a brief moment of self-loathing for not participating. Submissions entered on later dates are also welcome!

Compensation:

Hearts and compliments from the community
(not guaranteed)

You can use as much or as little of the sample track as you like, you just have to use it. No winners, no losers, just good times!

Every two weeks we will post a track from our record collections, ideally something you’ve not heard before. Jams, full tracks, noodles - share whatever you like!

8 Likes

Here’s a little mix to start things off :beers:

5 Likes

Stuck in a holiday home watching the rain (yes, in the UK of course) so this was a good distraction :smiley:

Made using Koala.

5 Likes

Gritty RIP lyrics/flows of Smif and wessun meets smooth heartbroken original. Love the contrast.

1 Like

Reminds me of that Dabrye type drum programming. He’s a Detroit head too - I imagine he’d approve!

Thanks for sharing

It’s a sunny beautiful day in Montreal today so I’m going to save this for a later time and go enjoy the sun :sunny: and swimming while we can.

Looking forward to playing with this

2 Likes

@mtts nice one man and rain can be nice too for the moods! :beers: I wanted to try koala out a couple of weeks ago when out of town, but never got around to it. Always impressive to see what can be done on that app in capable hands.

@surfacescan Nice man if you do find the time, that would be great!

@everyone on vacation, enjoy the hell out of it!

I hadn’t been on a break in a very long time and it can be a nice, necessary reset from daily life. Needless to say, time away was very welcoming and I’m glad you guys are finding the time to jam on your holidays, and sharing for us to enjoy! :muscle:

4 Likes

@surfacescan and @aarb420 : thanks for the kind words. Never heard of Dabrye before, will check them out.

Had to use Koala because even though I did bring an MPC 500 with me, I didn’t bring an audio interface to record its output and the deadline for this challenge was before I’d get home :slight_smile:

So Koala it is. Which is great for sampling and chopping but the sequencer / piano roll takes some getting used to. It does have an individual EQ for each sample, though, so that’s really helpful.

1 Like

This is gorgeous!! Really want to do something with this going to have to think of something to do it justice, this is one of those where I fear I’ll just ruin the original haha. Cor

@aarb420 @mtts Starting strong!!

1 Like

My ears are to tired to do any more snares. Great track! Good night!

5 Likes

@natehorn this would be a bomba Nate-mixed track :sunglasses:

@proskynesis wow man really like this formula you’re messing with over there, this is :fire:

Got another bit of inspiration today whilst trying to juggle a few other projects :beers:

edit: did some edits

4 Likes

Really lovely track and great stuff from you guys. I’m gonna try and do a quick one with it tomorrow before I’m away for a bit

1 Like

@Yabba nice man if you find the time that would be dope :beers: If not it’s all good man get charged up on vacation and looking forward to a strong return :muscle:

@everyone I was pressed not to share this classic song from the same group that used to get bumped every time it would hit the radio during high school days. This is the first track on the album and was a pleasant surprise as I’d forgotten all about it :older_man:

2 Likes

Worked some more on this one. Almost finished I think. Learned some cool tricks in ableton that I will overuse for a while. Remarks on the mix and flow is appreciated!

3 Likes

@proskynesis such a great jam man lots of juicy elements :beers: May the cool tricks speed up the process on your end and keep you pumping out more jams like this :ok_hand: Those note repeats/build up stutters are executed really well and the return to the main beat is awesome. Ya got yourself some fresh styles over there keep it up and thanks for sharing!

1 Like

When people ask me why I got into synthesizers it’s because of this bassline.
This is the real g-funk rolling in your 64 low rider music.

1 Like

Their “Cutie Pie” song would always be sprinkled between the lonesome cholas, and their heartfelt calls, pouring their endless love to their men tuning in from jail. Beautiful times, and obligable shoutout to Art Laboe for hosting/sharing that experience :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Used to think that song was done by Zapp and Roger until getting the album :baby:

1 Like

“Orale guay, Just wanted to give a shout out to @aarb420 up in Lancaster see you soon homie! This is dedication for you!”

1 Like

Cant sleep so did another one.

4 Likes

@proskynesis Nice man :muscle: it sounds like you’re working with a tracker and not in Ableton!

1 Like

Thanks man! Funny that you say that. Really into some people that use renoise and been thinking about to try that again. But now Im starting to got my head around a method with ableton automations that kind of are in the same ballpark as the effectcommands in renoise.

1 Like