Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 14 | Stanley Clarke - Journey to Love

Welcome to another new edition of our bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza!

Before we get into our artist and track in focus, and in case you aren’t already aware, there are another few Mission Briefs/Challenges currently taking place that you may also fancy spending some time on here:

Thank you for joining @natehorn and I for another week of sampling goodness! Today is a special holiday, and hopefully @everyone has had/will have a chance to embark on a practical joke towards a loved one, or friend to celebrate April Fool’s Day!

This week our artist in focus is the extraordinary Stanley Clarke, with his track “Journey to Love.” This is the title track which comes off of the album of the same name, and was released in 1975 on the Nemperor label (NE-433).

Here is a brief interview with Clarke about the album, along with some light wiki-info about the wonderful career he continues to amass:

“This is a cool record and a special one to me, because it started my relationship with Jeff Beck. After my first album came out, Jeff came out to my house in Long Island. He drove up, got out of his car with his long hair and everything, and told me that he was playing one of my songs, Power, in his life shows. He wanted to record with me.”

“It’s a fun, funky record, and I had a great time making it. Lots of cool playing, and it was new, too – I was exploring different bass sounds on my Alembic, putting the bass way out front. You can really hear it on this record."

"Jeff exposed me to a lot of rock, and I did the same for him with jazz. A great guy, and a heck of a musician.” taken from this Music Radar interview

Stanley Clarke (born June 30, 1951) is an American bassist, composer and founding member of Return to Forever, one of the first jazz fusion bands. Clarke gave the bass guitar a prominence it lacked in jazz-related music. He is the first jazz-fusion bassist to headline tours, sell out shows worldwide and have recordings reach gold status.[1][2][3]

Clarke intended to become the first black musician in the Philadelphia Orchestra until he met jazz pianist Chick Corea.[14] At the time, Corea was working with Stan Getz putting together a new backing band for him and writing music for the group; these pieces first surfaced on two albums recorded in February/March 1972 in New York, Captain Marvel (credited to Getz, released in 1974) and Return to Forever (credited to Corea, issued in Europe in 1972). Clarke’s playing and improvising was prominent on both albums; the band also played a couple of gigs with Getz in Europe. At this early stage, the band as separate from Getz was mostly a studio side project, but the members soon realized that it had potential as a regular live band, and so the band Return to Forever had been born.

Clarke is a 5-time Grammy winner, with 15 nominations, 3 as a solo artist, 1 with the Stanley Clarke Band, and 1 with Return to Forever.[4][5] Clarke was selected to become a 2022 recipient of the National Endowment for the Arts Jazz Masters Fellowship.[6]

A Stanley Clarke electric bass is permanently on display at the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, D.C.[7][8][1]

Here is a Lossless FLAC link to the track, please delete it after using:
Stanley Clarke - Journey to Love

Album Photos:

(note: pictures taken from google search)

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family, and even Gene Hackman.

Mission:

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

Deadline: Sunday , April 9, 2023

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, April 9, 2023, or be faced with a brief moment of self-loathing for not participating. Submissions entered on later dates are also welcome!

Compensation:

Hearts and compliments from the community
(not guaranteed)

You can use as much or as little of the sample track as you like, you just have to use it. No winners, no losers, just good times!

Every two weeks we will post a track from our record collections, ideally something you’ve not heard before. Jams, full tracks, noodles - share whatever you like!

10 Likes

Fine, I’m in. Can’t not do it after hearing the prompt. Stanley is a homie. Kinda. And a favorite. I’ve seen him live twice. Once at UNT Jazz fest where we kicked it for a bit at an after party in town that my homie threw for him.

#jazzschoolkinfolk

So consider my arm twisted. Prepare your backsi… Nevermind. His live performances are unforgettable homies.

1 Like

I didn’t go to Jazz school. I went to Texas Women’s University. But I have lots of friends from the one o’clock lab band meritis alumnus.

1 Like

You know what these things need is more 15 minute long drones. Perfect for bedtime. Here is my interpretation of Stanley, hitting the waves of some far off beach. What’s interesting about this song, is when you stretch it right on out, you get these wave like soundscapes.
Here’s the process.
Samples created and stretched with help from PaulXStretch (frequency modulation, and ratio mixing).
Samples then ran through the following over convoluted efx chain.
Raum
Line 6 DL4
Alesis Quadverb into a Alesis Midiverb2 into a Midiverb 4, and finally a 3rd Dimension. (Some panning, frequency mod, verb, delay, pitching, light chorus). Or was it the other way around?
Some Big Sky Shimmer for extra dreamy emphasis.
Mixing of samples, with limiting, eq’ing, slight compression and saturation done in Ableton using stock effects, and Uhe Satin.
Art generated by our AI overlords.

13 Likes

Wowsers

1 Like

That sounds like a lovely time :ok_hand: I really wish I could have witnessed an original Return to Forever concert just from how deep they get with their songs. Sadly, that wish is no longer possible, since the passing of the great Chick Corea, RIP. Stanley’s solo albums are incredible!

@jdaddyaz Woah man already, nice! Your track is so haunting in the beginning, and that transition right in the middle around 8mins is beautiful. Definitely riding waves on here, and this is straight up movie/game soundtrack worthy! Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the challenge! :beers:

2 Likes

Obviously I’ll turn in a more polished turd before deadline.

4 Likes

That’s the other time I saw him live. I’ve got the ticket somewhere still. I hope.

No wait, this is incorrect. My Dad saw Return To Forever. I saw Chick Corea and Friends and Stanley sat in.

Amazeballs. The jazz is thick with this one. That’s what she said. :rofl:🪷:cherry_blossom::sunflower::purple_heart::blossom:🪻:hibiscus:

1 Like

@Funk_Illuminati Neat idea incorporating your body’s energy into the song! Smooth loop too I like where you’re headed with this :beers:

1 Like

:heartbeat:

1 Like

I’m gonna leave the loop playing like a seed whilst I sleepeth. More ideas will bloom. :tulip::rosette::sparkle::purple_heart::blossom:🪻:hibiscus::heartbeat:

Hibiscus :rofl:

1 Like

This is like. A strange and magickal force of awakening visiting you in the noise of your soul. A drop of ambrosia hitting a chalice. A purple chalice. This is an ancient magic spell. A triumph. A howling phoenix. A wilting flower returning to form in time lapse reverse… A single tear rolling down a stone embankment. A rose growing from out of the cracks of concrete in a terrible neighborhood. Thickness in the air. A galloping giant bird with feathered heart touching your open hand. Thank your soul for this jdaddy. Bless.

I am on my third meditation with this. I need to get off the interhaven now. Too much heartthrob. Holla atcha ninja turtle. Amen amen hallelujah. Spock penned the hymnal.

3 Likes

What an amazing track.

I’m on holiday this week so I probably won’t be able to participate. Good luck with it fellow sample flippers.

2 Likes

Nice one @aarb420 great selection as per usual
I’m gonna do an hour or so on it now and hopefully post something shortly after.

I quite the idea of doing these spontaneously and posting the result regardless how it may turn out

2 Likes

@monquixote & @Yabba Glad you guys like the sample!

Enjoy your holiday @monquixote :sunglasses:

@Yabba as long as you’re having a good time man that’s all that matters :muscle:

I was so caught up in it being April Fool’s Day yesterday, that I was going with this track initially:

hopefully, the right decision was made :tongue:

4 Likes

Haha, love it. well both tracks are on par with each other in their own way.

1 Like

@jdaddyaz answers the question of whether you can add too many reverb effects to a chain with a resounding “nope!”. Nice drone!

My favorite Stanley Clarke trivia factoid: “ His first score, for Pee-Wees Playhouse, was nominated for an Emmy Award.”

2 Likes

Woah, lovely sample @aarb420 :fire:

1 Like

Here’s my morning effort, I might do a different one later in the week I love the sample.

15 Likes

It’s time to get back up on that horsey

4 Likes