Elektronauts Hiphop Beat Battle #17: The Legend of Zelda Edition

All the entries are dope!

I didn’t enter the battle because I didn’t follow the rules but I was really digging the idea for this… since a Syntakt is my first Elektron device and what brought me to Elektronauts, I thought I should try to use it in whatever I made if I was going to participate. But then I thought about trying to interpolate some of the Ocarina music instead of sampling so I could keep it all Syntakt.

It ended up being a cool challenge to program some of the music to the best of my abilities. I definitely didn’t do any perfect covers, it was more like treating interpolations as samples… I didn’t feel like entering would be right since it’s a sample challenge as I understand but hopefully it’s cool if I share here.

8 Likes

Wow. Can I change my vote ? I vote for woolsee in #1 :smiley:
Seriously, your syntakt sound much better than what I heard previously on other channel. Nice job you kept the spirit of occarina of time. :fire:

1 Like

That’s probably the nicest bit of syntakt music I’ve heard.

Great work.

1 Like

Strong hazy groove, woolsee! Makes me wanna hear a synthbap challenge at some point (plus wavetables for the sampler-only folks)

1 Like

Yeah it would be interesting to do a synthesized only challenge.

2 Likes

There is this abandoned challenge that could be posted to

Someone could come up with their own new challenge/ mission brief

Rules deadline theme or any other specifics could be laid out

The winner of this or another battle could put in some sort of a synth element in their brief for the next one, or just go full on synthesized.

These started as a grassroots movement and some tradition in the battles ie format etc has been passed down, hiphop and sampling go hand in hand so that is very natural - but it dosest have to be that way. At least not every time. There is no explicit statement that the HH beat battles need to be sample based.

I enjoy sampling and it works so well for these. I also love synths and wouldn’t mind a little detour into that relm for one of the battles, or something on the side

Start your own movement see what happens. Anyone wanting to go that direction in whatever way they see fit I will probably be there

3 Likes

Sorry I’m late y’all, weekend got away from me.

1. Is 9 - got my head bumping, and the boss level beat was perfect

2. 4 - nice job with the ocarina lead

3. 3 - gritty and rough, very cool transitions

7 Likes

I think if we end up with too many challenges on participation may suffer.

Perhaps it could be one of your adhoc briefs or you could incorporate it into the DnB challenge or something?

If there was another challenge stream it should probably cater for another genre like House, or Techno given we have DnB and Hiphop covered really well :smiley:

I think the same thing. The Biweekly Sample Extravaganza is pretty open, and you don’t have to use hardly any of the given sample, and the DnB challenge doesn’t have a sample only restriction, or ant genre restriction if you really come down to it.

I’m going to take down my other post.

Missed what BLKrbbt 's post said, simultaneous challenges have already split my time, but people can only join the ones the want to.
A longer deadline like a month or so may give time to get more people in. Or just a one off, or open post your music based on this here thread.

Hiphop battles have had great attendance/support which keeps things going nicely but the open challenges weren’t getting too many people

Not trying to shake anything up just saying there is room for all.

Maybe I’ll start a county music challenge, and no one will join

Either way I like this side of the forum and hope more nauts make their way over here

I’ll stop derailing this thread and patiently wait for jedilicious to unveil the results

2 Likes

Yes that’s what I was thinking, just a little something to mix it up, flip mode - and then back to the samples.
Synth only HH battles wouldn’t have the staying power of a sample flip. Let’s please keep the sample flow here but I am ok with a little remix.

To the host and players of this game, sorry for going on a little side quest.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programing

2 Likes
9 Likes

I fuckin miss Dilated Peoples. Also the Executioners.

1 Like

me too. Recently listened to this album after quite a few years. So great.

1 Like

I forget where I read or watched a video about it, but there is a direct correlation between the rise of DAWs and the decline of turntablism. We should be on track for a nostalgic resurgence since it’s seems saturated with DAWs right now.

Not that I have any turntablist skills, and I never had a daw, but scratching is a big part of the atraction of hiphop to me. For the Tarantino battle I scratched the pulp fiction soundtrack on cd and it just felt weird and wrong. Need to get my turntables set up again sometime

Babu kills it. I like the little HH gem reminders being posted here.

If anyone finds a way to scratch a n64 cart let me know and I’ll go back in time and remake me beat

2 Likes

Temples have been explored, bosses have been battled, grass has turned into rupees and chickens have been caught. And most importantly, votes have been counted.

Votes were both very decisive and extremely close. It was a close battle for the top four spots. Decisive because these top four tracks together were good for 47 (!) out of the 54 points in total. Also, it was a tie for the third place.

1. Master Sword goes to @Yabba - 16 points
  2. Kokori Sword goes to @Unifono - 11 points
  3. And @aarb420 and @1-2 complete the triforce and both get a Deku Stick for 10 points

Congrats everyone, I really enjoyed all your submissions! There was a great Zelda vibe to all of these and all tracks had something different that spoke to me.

For now, the remaining question is if Yabba - being a frequent winner - wants to host or if he wants to pass the mic to someone else?

I also enjoyed hosting the battle and would be happy to go for another hosting round some other time If the winners don’t feel like it. That said, I do think it is time for another creative perspective for the next battle.

Also, a little suggestion from the hosting side: should we maybe do the voting privately first (send votes to the host first, only share publicly later) so that people don’t unconsciously influence each others votes?

I might be nerding out a bit to much, but as a (former) academic in psychology I feel that there are definitely some methodological flaws to our research methods :wink:

ps. I did write some short notes on all tracks, but I can’t seem to find them now. Will share if I do!

13 Likes

This is a good idea. It puts a little bit of burden on the host, since it’s easier to scroll over a thread to keep track of votes. Plus it solves the separate thread to vote dilemma.

Congrats @Yabba @Unifono @aarb420 @1-2

Not really a surprise, to be honest.

Forgot to thank @Jedilicious!

Beast Squad

6 Likes

Serratto and Traktor both emulate decks to scratch audio files. Even have hardware controllers.

The SP404 has a stopper effect that does it as well.

4 Likes

Thanks @Jedilicious
And well done @Unifono @aarb420 and @1-2
And everyone else

Just a traditional rundown on the making of my beat.

The beat, as usual was made and levelled, eq’d etc in Digitakt.

The only other processing once recorded from the master onto laptop was the vocal sounds from the Ocarina sound effects, then some waves L2 limiter to maximise the volume on the whole thing.

The Rhodes type sound is actually the last sustained note that Claid used for the intro to his beat, played as notes on the Digitakt with a bit of pitch lfo effecting the start so it sounds slightly like it’s bending into each note.

I might host on the next one as I haven’t since the Morricone battle, I have got an idea and I think most will be happy with it unless @Unifono has an idea that he wants to get out there of course.

11 Likes