Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 20 | Chocolate Milk - Action Speaks Louder Than Words

Welcome to another new edition of our bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza!

Thank you all for joining @natehorn and I for another week of sampling goodness! Before we get into our artist and track in focus, and in case you aren’t already aware, there are some other Mission Briefs/Challenges currently taking place that you may also fancy spending some time on here:

AND

@everyone please take a moment to honor our fellow OG naut @sezare56’s recently departed furry friend, Salidou, who was taken from our world recently, and has embarked on his new journey in the eternal cat kingdom.

Time for some action @everyone!

This week we’ll take a closer look at a group that seems to have “skirted” by history. Chocolate Milk, and their hit song, “Action Speaks Louder Than Words,” is the first track on the band’s first album of the same name, which was released in 1975 on the RCA Victor record label (number ALP1-1188).

There isn’t much information online about this band, unfortunately. But, that’s not to say they weren’t exceptional in the music they created. Here are some bits about Chocolate Milk from wikipedia:

Chocolate Milk was formed in 1974 in New Orleans, Louisiana, after the emergence of the bands Kool & the Gang and Earth, Wind & Fire. The eight-piece band included Frank Richard (vocals), Amadee Castenell (saxophone), Joe Foxx (trumpet),[1] Mario Tio (guitars), Earnest Dabon (bass),[2] Robert Dabon (keyboards/piano) and Dwight Richards (drums/percussion). The band also worked as the studio group for songwriter and producer Allen Toussaint, following the tenure of the Meters as Toussaint’s band. Chocolate Milk backed Toussaint as a live band and on his album New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival (1976), and also recorded with Paul McCartney. The band then signed with RCA Records.[3]

Their first of eight albums released on RCA was Action Speaks Louder than Words, an album that included a political message. The title cut, “Action Speaks Louder Than Words” (1975), has a break beat that has been sampled numerous times in hip hop music, including “Move the Crowd” from the 1987 album Paid in Full by Eric B. & Rakim, and “Don’t Let Your Mouth Write a Check Your Ass Can’t Cash” (1991) by Stetsasonic.[4]

The band became known for “Action Speaks Louder than Words”, and other hit songs: “Girl Callin’” (1978), “Say Won’t Cha” (1979), and “I’m Your Radio” (1980). The band was also known for their versatility in musical styles, later adding elements of disco, prevalent on their 1981 hit, “Blue Jeans” which peaked at number fifteen on the soul chart.[5] Chocolate Milk broke up in 1983 due to the waning popularity of disco, numerous personnel changes, and changes in producers after splitting with Toussaint in 1980.[2]

Here are two different youtube user uploads in case there are regional playback issues:

Here is a link to the hi-res .flac version of the track, please delete it after using:

CHOCOLATE MILK - ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER THAN WORDS

Album Photos:

from google search

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family, and even the UFC crew responsible for setting up the battle of the billionaires.

Mission:

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

Deadline: Sunday , July 2, 2023

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, July 2, 2023, or be faced with a brief moment of self-loathing for not participating. Submissions entered on later dates are also welcome!

Compensation:

Hearts and compliments from the community
(not guaranteed)

You can use as much or as little of the sample track as you like, you just have to use it. No winners, no losers, just good times!

Every two weeks we will post a track from our record collections, ideally something you’ve not heard before. Jams, full tracks, noodles - share whatever you like!

9 Likes

I was just hearing the song in my head the other day, wondering if it was on an old breakbeat bootleg record I had.

Now instead of digging for it (It would be close to my copy of Camp Lo’s Lucini/Uptown Saturday night) in my own collection - I get to play with this on the digitakt.

Thanks

3 Likes

This is it.
what?
Luchini fallin from the sky.
Let’s get rich, huh.

3 Likes

This time I’m going techno. Think it’ll be a fun challenge given how funky the track is. Looking forward to hear what everyone else does.
Thank you big time @aarb420 for putting this on.

2 Likes

This will be a good way to try out an always on background recorder I just picked up… Its called Rewind Monkey. You run it standalone, and it records all audio, then you can export the wave… so no more using the Maschine or the 404 to record YT videos. (It’s actually like the 404’s skipback function, but with an hour recording time.)

Records midi as well in the background.

2 Likes

I RIPXed the song. Here are some stems if people want/need them.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wEF5E67hJpcP0V7AlZtTav8qWqIgdJlF?usp=sharing

4 Likes

Glad you guys have some ideas brewing and hopefully the album art will not distract too much! :innocent:

@surfacescan I don’t think I got a chance to welcome you on the last battle, so welcome friend, and thanks for hanging out with us, and sharing your complex equations with us :beers: That’s one record I keep forgetting to pick up, as funny as it sounds, nice one!

@jdaddyaz aiiiiite! Thanks for joining us man and looking forward to what you put together! :man_scientist: Also thank you for providing stems!

@BLKrbbt sounds like a neat tool for the MIDI recorder aspect that sounds fun! Looking forward to hitting up your upcoming challenge with @natehorn man :muscle:

Good luck @everyone and may you all be blessed with sweet grooves in your journeys ahead!

2 Likes

What a classic, nice selection @aarb420

2 Likes

Fair play to you guys who can switch it up like that, I wish I could make something else aside from hip hop but I can’t.
I’ve tried, and I’m terrible at it

1 Like

Done a quick one, I was going to put an acapella over it as it’s a bit plain but I’ve gotta do stuff and I probably won’t come back to it

Only used the sample, made in Digitakt as usual

Cheers again, :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes

@Yabba nice one already! Dope bassline man your beat would certainly make an acapella pop :muscle:

2 Likes

Nice pick @aarb420 look forward to hitting this in the week! :raised_hands: :raised_hands:

RIP Salidou this one’s for you

200w

1 Like

@everyone if you’re having trouble layering samples I’m going to drop this awesome playlist that was shared recently by @flippantminister when hosting the Library themed Hip Hop battle.

It contains a lot of fun samples Bruton Music Collection

2 Likes

Just a little something… made a loop, and got caught in a dead end… Just waiting on my new midi controller, halfheartedly making music.

The fact that my creativity aligns with gear acquisition means this G.A.S. is DEISEL.

I’m actually have been a little looser with my rhythms… not hitting every 1 and 3 with a kick and a snare on 2 and 4… going unquantized more too. So there is a bit of a trainwreck element to the beat… Where the beat clashes depending on how you come out of it … but always recenters into its own thing.

5 Likes

@BLKrbbt dope energetic groove man and neat transition @ 20-33 seconds :beers:

1 Like

Thanks!

To be honest, I was about to lay some more over it with Diva, but thought “No! Wait for the new controller!”

1 Like

@surfacescan gave me the inspiration… just another sketch. It Bangs at the halfway mark.

5 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

5 Likes