Bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza | 25 | Shirley Scott - Soul Song

Welcome to another new edition of our bi-weekly record-diving sampling extravaganza!

Thank you all for joining @natehorn and I for another week of sampling goodness! Before we get into our artist and track in focus, and in case you aren’t already aware, there are some other Mission Briefs/Challenges currently taking place that you may also fancy spending some time on here:

Alright @everyone here’s a dig that pleasantly surprised me this morning, and I hope finds you all in a similar fashion. The sample this week is Shirley Scott’s, Soul Song, which is the 5th song on the album of the same name.

THE TRACK WAS RECORDED ON SEPTEMBER 9, 1968 (55 YEARS AGO, TODAY),

with the album release following shortly after in the same year, on Atlantic Records (SD 1515).

This track alone boasts an all star cast, including: Scott dropping wild organ riffs, her husband, Stanley Turrentine on tenor sax, Roland Martinez laying down some incredible basslines, Eric Gale on guitar, and that’s all over some drums by Bernard Purdie.

I highly recommend checking out Scott’s work, as I wasn’t expecting to see such a huge catalog, especially seeing her reining as band leader/arranger (a difficult feat at that time).

Here are some bits about Shirley Scott, and her album from Wikipedia:

Shirley Scott (March 14, 1934 – March 10, 2002) was an American jazz organist. Her music was noted for its mixture of bebop, blues and gospel elements. She was known by the nickname “Queen of the Organ”.[1][2]

Life and career

Scott was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Her father operated a jazz club in the basement of the family home and her brother played Saxophone.[3] At the age of eight, Scott began piano lessons.[4] After enrolling at Philadelphia High School for Girls, where she was awarded a scholarship, Scott switched to trumpet and played in the all-city schools band.[3]

She studied for bachelor and master’s degrees at Cheyney University. Later in life Scott would return to the university as a teacher.[5]

As a performer in the 1950s, she played the Hammond B-3 organ. Her recordings with Eddie “Lockjaw” Davis included the hit “In the Kitchen”. Influenced by gospel and blues, she played soul jazz in the 1960s with Stanley Turrentine, who became her husband during the same decade; the couple divorced in 1971.[6]

Although organ trios declined in popularity during the 1970s, they resurged in the 1980s and she recorded again. In the 1990s, she recorded as pianist in a trio and performed at venues in Philadelphia.[7]

Scott won an $8 million settlement in 2000 against American Home Products, the manufacturers of the diet drug fen-phen. She died of heart failure in 2002.[7][8]

There is only one version of the track available on YouTube, so I hope no one experiences any regional playback issues:

Here is a link to the FLAC version of the track and a version that has been converted to 16bit/44.1KHz wav, please delete it after using:

SHIRLEY SCOTT - SOUL SONG (FLAC)

SHIRLEY SCOTT - SOUL SONG (WAV)

links are active for one week from today (9/9/23)

Album Photos:

images from google search

THE BRIEF

YOU have been selected by the notorious Global Sound Syndicate for a top-secret operation. Not really, please, share with your friends, family, and even Tony Montana’s tailor.

Mission:

-Sample any part(s) of the track we’ve nominated
-Spend no more than 1 week turning it into music
-Post your creations here for us all to enjoy

Deadline: Sunday , July 30, 2023

Submit your entry no later than 11:59 PM, Sunday, September 17, 2023, or be faced with a brief moment of self-loathing for not participating. Submissions entered on later dates are also welcome!

Compensation:

Hearts and compliments from the community
(not guaranteed)

You can use as much or as little of the sample track as you like, you just have to use it. No winners, no losers, just good times!

Every two weeks we will post a track from our record collections, ideally something you’ve not heard before. Jams, full tracks, noodles - share whatever you like!

3 Likes

nice one @aarb420 i’ll have a quick chop before i get on with my sunday tasks, if i dont post anything within the next 90 mins or so then it didnt go well haha

1 Like

I only used the sample.
I can barely hear the filtered main part through my phone speaker now I’m playing it back, so that’s annoying as I’ve probably got it filtered too low 🫤

3 Likes

This is awesome mate. The filtered part sounds great on my laptop.

2 Likes

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

I can hear it myself now I’ve turned my fan off :joy:
It’s amazing how that low drone in the background just makes your mix sound totally different

2 Likes

@Yabba I second what @looms said, and your beat has a tasty jazzy element to it! Very well done, or rare, whichever tastes better :wink: Cool grooves man and thank you for sharing! :beers:

2 Likes

this might be a painful on the ears, haha. falls in and out of time a bit. usual laptop speakers only. excuses excuses :joy:

4 Likes

@looms Awesome smoove remix, and it sounds like she sang for this track originally! Thank you for stopping by and sharing man it’s nice to hear from you again! :beers:

Also, I’m not trying to hype it up, but it was almost like the universe dropped all the elements in the lap for this challenge. I was riding the high of the song being produced on the same exact day, like Scott’s soul was present and it was the first record I pulled out from a random batch. Lot of strange coincidences happened the other day, and I’m still not sure what to make of it :baby:

2 Likes

Thanks man, these are always fun to join in.

That is mad grabbing the record the same day it was recorded :point_right::ringer_planet::point_left:

Sick album cover too!

1 Like

Man it tickled lol the universe came through for us this week :mage: The sitcom detective in me is trying to understand what it means, but it was a pleasant experience and I wanted to share that with you guys because it wouldn’t have happened without your presences.

Will join in soon, already have a finished song but I need to clean it up a bit as my bass track is muddying the other tracks up too much atm and needs some filtration :man_mechanic:

2 Likes

That’s great that is mate, sounds ok to me, really nice work

2 Likes

Cheers man! Sounds a bit piercing with the high notes and muddy/flat when listening in earphones to me but it’s good to be back on the beats even if briefly haha

Also wishing I’d used some drum fills and stuff from the original now. But gotta walk away :joy:

2 Likes

Great track! reminds me of this one:

Here’s some biggie smalls remix on the OT:

4 Likes

@malus_mons man that is an unexpectedly fun track on the ears! Thats a fresh formula and man nice glitchy tricks over there on OT man! Thank you for sharing :beers:

When I heard that Cannonball Adderley album (actually not that long ago, think earlier this year) but that intro blew me away for being a sample I’d been hounding to find since wearing out DJ Premier’s Crooklyn Cuts back in the day! He uses this as one of the transitions on one of the tapes, but I can’t remember if it was tape C/III or D/IV. :older_man: That was the coolest thing I’d heard back then and I couldn’t tell if it was a line from a movie for the longest time :rofl:

edit: btw idk if you were playing off of that for your beat but it’s a great intro, although I listened to your beat first :baby:

1 Like

Great sample and some real bangers from our regulars here - gonna break me out of my temporary retirement with this inspo

3 Likes

Here’s a remix of a group called Brothaz Bent (later the Arch Druids) out of LA back from late 2000s that I really wish saw more success. If it weren’t for these guys, I don’t think Roc Marciano would have had as strong of a career, imo because they used to hang out in the days the group was active (Roc was still very new, talking late stages of myspace). Unfortunately, one of their members passed away from an overdose and I think the group was already on a dwindling stage, prior, but that was the last I had seen of them. They had really awesome boom bap beats/production, and their lyrics were always :ok_hand: I recommend checking out their album as it’ll bring lot’s of nostalgia, especially this song’s original version samples the classic Cella Dwella’s “Land of the Lost.”

4 Likes

This is doooope mate. Really like the wideness/panning makes it tickle the old earholes in a pleasing way :smile:

2 Likes

@looms Thanks man! :beers: It’s for those worn out ears in the world listening on 127 :tongue:

Stacked too many samples on that one and something was throwing the low end freq’s off (wanted that bass a lot thicker lol). Really recommend that group though man they were super clean on their production and OG style with the Akais/SP1200!

2 Likes

@malus_mons a masterclass in how to get the most out of a short chop. Very smart.

@aarb420 nice one fella, that’s a great remix and I’m definitely gonna check that group out

2 Likes

@Yabba Thanks man they’re one of the few LA people in later times that I’ve come across that had some really neat lyrics/production but it’s mainly nostalgia on my end :beers:

1 Like