What are you trying to learn today?

For all the OT padawans out there (and for the more seasoned users as well): what are you trying to learn / accomplish with your OT today?

A thread to express your despair when you hit one of the famous OT roadblock, and to celebrate when you suddenly break the wall.

I’ll begin: lately, I’ve been craving doing some old school jungle. So, today, I’m learning break processing with the OT, from sampling these dusty old breaks to cleaning and giving them some attitude. Then, mangling to oblivion! Lots of resampling and neighbour tracks involved.

6 Likes

Playing and recording slices with midi piano controller and midi processor…

3 Likes

:thinking: I’m trying to find something to learn…:pl:

10 Likes

“The man who became the Octatrack…”

6 Likes

I put my brain in a human body for summer.
Some ideas :

7 Likes

I’m working on Pick-Up Machines and looping…

3 Likes

Spinning the Octatrack on your finger with only the front corner (like a Basketball)?

7 Likes

Trying to figure out what changed about my workflow that’s making the relationship between PUM and sequencer tempo behave completely differently after a two week break than it did for months in the exact same project.

2 Likes

Fuuuuuu##, having a hard time with the compressor right now. :cold_face:

I’m going to try to make a techno set up tonight off the cuff (on internet radio), just cue add a track, cue add a track…with the monomachine and m:s stereo thru. it’ll either suck or not. but, i need to learn the hard way.

3 Likes

To draw as well as Kim Jung Gi. I just got a brush pen, so the rest should come easy, right? Guys…right?

4 Likes

You’re 99% there!

How to get thrown under the bus by project managers who I have spent 3 years delivering a project for… and not be mad.

4 Likes

Oh also OT MK2 midi and tru machines

I don’t think I’ve found the right flow for cutting up samples in the sample editor yet. Feel like it’s more painful than it should be. Probably just need some little tweak to my process, or button combo I don’t know yet… The dream is for it to be as fast as the Korg Microsampler, where you could play the sample back and just hit a key to generate a new sample split at that point, mapped to that key…

3 Likes

Record a loop on a flex machine using one of my thru machines as a source.
and also figure out the auto channel so I can use my midi keyboard to place chord trigs/live record like I do when I just hit TRK and cycle through the tracks on the DT

2 Likes

Damn! OT is a beast! I’ll be happy to get to the point where I’m as fast as I am with the DT on the OT - JUST using it to the level of the DT. If that makes sense. But there are just so many ways to use it.

1 Like

Honestly, I’m often having a hard time with the compressor. I’ve never really used one before, and just can’t make sense of the one on the OT, aside from boosting the gain

1 Like

Purchased an OT and an AH, after owning the DT for a couple months and coming to the realization that I actually need slices. I’ve made several projects/beats using the OT alone, but now I’m looking to team up the whole unit, although I’ve never used MIDI ever aside from connecting a controller to Maschine/Ableton via USB. I’ve done a bit of research and the macprovideos on “Connecting Multiple Boxes” seem to help with connecting OT to DT, so I’m thinking I should MIDI in and out the DT and OT to each other (OT MIDI out to DT in, DT MIDI out to OT in) then MIDI thru from the DT into the AH.

Also, I’m waiting for the tape deck I ordered so I can make my first beat tape like my pops and his crew back in '96 :sunglasses:

4 Likes

With a rec trig on a flex recording the output of the compressed track, you can get a crude visualization of the way the compressor reacts.

Even so, I have trouble setting the release correctly. It pumps like a mofo whatever the settings.

1 Like