:elot: Comb Comp Contest!

Hey all!
New challenge : nothing plugged, no samples, no fx except Comb Filters and Compressor !
Master track allowed.

Recorders and live resampling allowed, no audio editing, except fade in / out, normalize after track recording.

My last track as example :

The principle is to record inputs ABCD with max GAIN, add compressor, comb filters…

45 Likes

Wait a minute my friend. How do we use the OT without samples?

1 Like

Read my previous posts! :smile:
If you record inputs with nothing plugged and max gain, you get noise : here we go !

Mixer > Max Gain for AB, CD
Recorder 1 > inputs AB, CD
T1 > Flex, max Level, max VOL > comp / comb

9 Likes

You’re too fast :fast_forward: Nice example! Hope somewhere this week i find more time and join the challange

3 Likes

Cool track! I need to focus on the OT comb filter- it’s, apparently, an elusive beast

Edit: I’m in awe of how in awe I am of that track- so beautiful(it’s a shame it’s not eligible)

1 Like

Yeah you can make a lot of different sounds, like drums, flute, saxophone…:wink:

Once you get your noise source, apply short Amp Release with minimum Hold, and here is the magic!

8 Likes

That is so cool! I was imagining Mick from Crocodile Dundee in the bush there tripping out. :joy:

4 Likes

Oh snap. It’s on! Maybe Sunday I’ll work on this. It’s funny how simple contests like this make you get excited

3 Likes

Okay this is going to be my first participation in the OT challenge. :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

This is straight out of the OT? You didn’t put anything on the master buss?

Sounds good man! :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah, nothing plugged, no samples, recorded in OT. :wink:
Some say OT can’t do synthesis…:slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Does ‘no samples’ include no resampling? E.g can I record using the no input method then use that as a sample, still using no fx apart from comb filters? Or are we talking 100% live?

Resampling, but 100 % live!
No audio editing. Normalize would change the game.

I changed rules to make it more dynamic and tasty with Compressor !

2 Likes

First try, to give an idea of some possibilities.
I came up again with something weird and surprising. :sketchy:
No filter fx of course but I found a way to filter sounds ! Have a guess…:content:

Your turn to experiment ! I’ll make another one from scratch later.

25 Likes

Too much heat bro! I gotta finish work but you got me hyped already.

1 Like

wooow, this first track sound amazing!!!

edit: wait a minute, are you sure there are no other fx, like reverb?

1 Like

I respected the rules of course ! :slight_smile:

2 tracks are recording / playing input ABCD (stereo evolving noise), filtered by a misterious parameter. :thinking:

I used Cue Rec / Play with feedback and 1/32th delay (swing =75 for all trigs, thanks again @gbravetti :wink: ) to emulated short delay / cheap reverb. There’s also a pitched delay with same principle.

7 Likes

nice work, you have my respect :slight_smile:

1 Like

making a track without reverb feels like eating pizza without :cheese:

2 Likes

or :cheese: without :wine_glass:

4 Likes