PSA: Digitakt inputs not routed to main in Class Compliant USB mode

For everyone posting about this in the Digitakt bug thread, in the new firmware thread, etc. Just posting here in a visible place to clear up confusion.

7 Likes

So the inputs are not working with usb audio in 1.20 is a bug. Audio ins do not work with my Linux system and in iOS. I wasn’t sure that I had things setup correctly on the Digitakt.

No, it’s not a bug. It’s just not supported currently and probably won’t be imho.

7 Likes

I disagree. I can’t imagine a technical reason why it couldn’t work. Do you have a reason for your “not a bug, never will” logic?

Well, a bug is an error in a program. This isn’t an error. It’s a design decision. The fact that you don’t like it doesn’t make it a bug.

11 Likes

Well that’s too bad if the audio ins won’t work with usb audio. I was hoping to use the Digitakt as an audio interface. Oh well…

Again. More opinions without a hint of why this is believed. Does it say that somewhere? (I don’t need it. Just curious where the confidence comes from)

Just adding some info to clear things up. It is correct that that the Digitakt audio inputs are not connected to main over USB when it is used as a Class Compliant divice. The reason for why it is like this is rather simple. These inputs are not connected to Main in the Digitakt device either. They can only be heard when you monitor them as inputs for sampling. This is how it is designed.

But I hear you, it would be nice if they did connect to main as the audio inputs do on Digitone. No idea if this is posssible or not, but I’ll mention it to the dev crew :slight_smile:

39 Likes

This also must be why we don’t have stereo input monitoring at the moment. Maybe mention that to them too…:slight_smile:

3 Likes

You do if you use Overbridge.

2 Likes

Overbridge only works on a couple OSes and might not remain supported long-term due to the ongoing development costs. Class-compliant USB support is required for everything else, and for future-proofing the hardware in general.

I was hoping to use my Digitakt as an audio interface too, but it sounds like I can’t… because Overbridge isn’t compatible with any of my computing devices.

2 Likes

Well, it works on the two primary operating systems used in music production. Are you using Linux?

3 Likes

I’m referring to standalone operation. I didn’t know why DT doesn’t allow stereo monitoring like my DN does. Knowing that the DT inputs aren’t directly connected to the outs explains why this hasn’t been an option.
I probably heard that before actually but didn’t remember.
Either way, it would be a huge boon for it to be implemented

no, please not like on the digitone where the inputs are not seperated // mixed to the mains! :stuck_out_tongue: True stereo for multitrack recording, pleaaaase!
It would make all the mono pain go away.

1 Like

That would be amazing but I’m pretty sure that was stated as impossible. I hope I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure they put that to bed awhile back.

That would be really great and would make a lot of things easier when I connect a lot of devices together.

1 Like

The new class compliant mode is great for iOS, but it’s one frustrating step short of being a solid solution. If you can’t have 2 simultaneous audio interfaces on iOS and you can’t access the inputs on the digitakt, you can’t record a phisical input. Right?. That means no vocals, no bass, no guitar… that’s a huge flow and vibe killer in my case.
A second set of inputs usb3-4 set to phisical inputs on the digitakt would make the digitakt-iPad combo a truly standalone and killer combo. Hope it’s possible in the future.

6 Likes

Rather annoyingly discovered this!
I guess the appeal of being a Class Compliant Interface is that it can interface with my other gear. If I can’t get external audio in, then I need another interface, and that defies the whole point…

Hearing reports this works on the Digitone, so unsure why the decision was made to not enable it here?

1 Like

nothing was added to the DN for this release in this regard - the DN uses its inputs differently by design - it is only because the DN has external inputs mixed at mains (per pattern) that this is possible - the inputs themselves are not opened up in the driver - it’s just that the main outputs may include the mixed inputs - this is a per pattern setting, so it’s not enabled by CCA or a feature per se

DT didn’t do that before, it’s not held back

What happens when you just monitor the inputs in the sample recorder?

Since that is normally sent to the master, can you record the audio from that over usb?