PSA: Digitakt inputs not routed to main in Class Compliant USB mode

No, that’s what this whole thread is about. You can’t.

2 Likes

That explains what all the fuzz is about. I thought the problem was just that you couldn’t monitor them like a normal audio interface as two separate channels.

It’s very weird, because this means that what comes out of the main outputs and headphones jacks is not the same as the audio sent over usb.

Thanks for clarifying.

As i understand it, the DT sums to mono when you utilise the sampling, so

yes - you can record anything the DT did before the update (i.e. no stereo signals from the external ins)

The main feature CCA brings is stereo playback audio from your computer to the DIGI and the pre-update DIGI mains to the computer

Neither device has inputs appearing separately to mains, that would need more channels - it’s strictly 2in 2out with the caveats as described

CCA doesn’t equate to Audio Interface, just as USB midi doesn’t equate to MIDI interface

1 Like

Now I’m confused.
I have 2 opposite answers to my question.

So, when monitoring the inputs while using the sample recorder, does the audio from the monitoring get sent to usb(summed together with the master) or doesn’t it?

I don’t care about the mono summing, just sampling over usb.

I thought that it did not from what I had read.

avantronica, are you saying that if you connect the DT to an iPad or whatever, and have another synth connected to the Digitakt inputs with monitoring on, you will hear that synth through the stereo channels coming into the iPad?

i can’t imagine this isn’t the case - i don’t know how the DT works wrt sampling and auditioning, but if you can hear it on the headphones/outputs in realtime (mono) it must be part of the main and will be sent

all the CCA is doing is Tx main (whilst Rx computer)

neither are audio interfaces, but they do route audio internally just as before the update

i can’t attest as i don’t own - but clearly the issue is that it’s more hassle on DT for less payoff

edit : clarified as not supported below

1 Like

you’d think so but this is not the case. audio sent into DT’s inputs and live-monitored (audible via DT) is not passed onto the class-compliant device.

4 Likes

well that is so strange indeed - it chimes with the tone of the debate, but i can’t see why this is - perhaps it’s because the DT can also sample from USB, maybe this creates some headaches and they cut a link - otherwise odd that it’s not what you get on the device, perplexing - there must be a reason

sorry to muddy the waters

2 Likes

it’s… counter-intuitive, to put it politely…

3 Likes

Thanks for all the answers so for. Can’t believe this isn’t possible. Feels almost like a curse, cause this would mean much more hassle, re-routing and devices… I was this close to a real minimal Jam machine.

2 separate stereo tracks via USB (Class Compliant – not Overbridge) would be the bomb. But 1 mixed stereo track including the Audio inputs via USB CC would be highly appreciated (as in… it’s gotta be done ;))

2 Likes

It may not be technically possible within the limitations of the hardware. I would like for the inputs to come through in class compliant mode, just as I’ve hoped for stereo monitoring to be supported. Elektron is working for us, not against us, and so if they can’t include it despite our hopes, that’s how it is. Fingers crossed!

5 Likes

If there was a toggle for including the ext inputs as part of the Main out to USB when in ClassCompliant Mode, that would suffice.

It doesn’t need to be 4 In - 2 Out; 2 In - 2 Out with external inputs mixed into the 2 In would be perfect.

As it stands, unless I need a separate interface for for external input, which makes the entire feature moot.

1 Like

I guess you’ve missed the following answer of an Elektron employee from further above which already explained the details a while ago:

1 Like

how are they heard normally if monitored (presumably on the DT headphones and main outputs) and if they appear at mains normally how is it that they are not part of that stream - there’s no detail on this

if we’re being pedantic, it states …

inputs are not connected to Main in the Digitakt device either

‘either’ implies just like the DN and those inputs are not specially routed per se (but are available under normal usage routing)

so if one is sampling on the DT and listening only to the audio via CCA - how can the user sample effectively

that doesn’t sound like a workable arrangement

we’re talking about different things - i’m commenting on the ambiguity about which point the ‘main’ audio is streamed from

the post linked is alluding more to the perceived omission of audio interface features and general routing constraints inherent in the intended functionality - there’s no explanation at all about why the os1.1 mains can pipe a mono summed ext input to the mains and the CCA piped mains isn’t

people even thought the DN wasn’t using its external inputs to begin with because they assumed CCA equates to an audio interface, it’s reasonable to speculate the same applied to DT owners

if these … inputs are not connected to Main in the Digitakt … end quote … how do people hear them then

i hadn’t as it happens, although it’d be easy to miss that i was third to like that post a while ago

i don’t take anything as gospel - my hunch is that there’s a considered reason why it is this way - or it could possibly be an oversight - that’s why (having never touched a DT) i shared my thoughts

the totality of the thread doesn’t make this seem especially clear - it’s evident it isn’t behaving as one might expect (if simply swapping analogue ‘main’ outs for CCA outs)

2 Likes

Thanks for the write up! That was exactly what I was finding strange.

@Ess could you maybe hop in and clear things up?

I can see why you would think that, it has a ADC built into it and the OS upgrade advertises “Capture the Audio Recordings from your unit on the fly”
Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 7.30.03 PM

I record the main out and I hear the Digitakt inputs when I record the headphone outs but not the USB? Seems like something they should address.

2 Likes

Such an interesting topic I couldn’t help but to give my 2 cents.

I’m very happy they given us the ability to record the Digitakt inputs in stereo using Overbridge, but in an ideal world the inputs would be handled the same way as its sibling, the Digitone.

I don’t think there are any hardware limitations that would prevent this. The hardware and OS are similar sans an extra board for FM/DSP stuff on the Digitone. Porting the input handling from the Digitone firmware to the Digitakt seems feasible.

They make such a great pair and the Digitakt as master makes more sense for me as it can handle more midi sequencing. Being able to route the Digitone trough the compressor would be a lot more useful than running the Digitakt trough the Digitone effects. Specially when you’re just using the pair.

I understand mono monitoring is for sampling but an option would be nice. Maybe a toggle between sampling and monitor modes in the settings menu. With it set in monitor mode we get the same functionality as on the Digitone and in sampling mode nothing changes. Or have it all enabled by default and once you start sampling it switches to mono.

Right now monitoring/recording the Digitakt inputs in stereo is only possible with Overbridge (and a computer). It would be amazing if this was possible without a computer involved. Even if its only working in usb-audio mode without the ability to run the inputs trough the effects or control/pan a stereo source or 2 mono sources like on the Digitone.

4 Likes

You can understand why people only have one or the other though, right? So then why should I buy the FM synth to record the audio inputs over class compliant USB? This is a function I associate with samplers, which record audio.

If the two devices are really so codependent on each other, maybe sell them as a package or maybe make an octatrack-sized device that is exactly a digitakt and a digitone.

As it stands, splitting functionality like this between the two devices just feels arbitrary from a design standpoint, unfair from a owner’s standpoint, and greedy from a prospective buyers standpoint.

But I’m probably making too much of it. This inconvenience might go away with a firmware update, or everybody just adapts and buys/sell another piece of gear on their path to musical nirvana.

1 Like

Ignorance is brave and daring, so let my ignorance run wild here…
The class-compliant audio interface feature is great.
The fact you can’t record any audio is a huuuge inconvenience. What do you do if you want to add a guitar?. Record the DT on to a track. Turn off everything. Unplug. Plug another audio interface. Record guitar. Turn off again, back to DT, etc… nightmarish. In that scenario you just avoid the audio interface feature and use the other one with DT as plain audio… but then you need midi sync… sort of dumb.
Here’s where my daring ignorance comes in… only 2 outs so I assume the limitation might come from outputting the live guitar AND the sequences tracks. That makes sense, more than it being a hardware problem.
If you can record/sample a guitar while you listen to it you should be able to get it “out”. If record it and then play it back it’d be a case of outputting that small buffer on the go. Yes, you couldn’t listen to the backing tracks… but there might me ways around this.
a) a “live input” mode where the DT would act as a regular sound card and won’t play the internal sequences
b) in “live input” mode have the jack input go to out1 and the DT sounds to out2 summed mono.
c) add a 3/4 out!. Even if just for outputting the monitoring inputs.
As I said, when you monitor in the sample recorder you’re routing that signal to the output. It’s hard to imagine why you can’t output that via audio interface.

Hi All,
To keep the desk tidy and benefit from digital audio out, I playback the DT and DN using USB, like they were audio cards (Settings > System > USB Config > USB Audio/MIDI, not Overbridge). In macOS I then aggregate them into a virtual audio card together with the real audio card that is connected to the monitors. Incredibly convenient and easy.

However, when I do so, monitoring the recorder’s playback on the DT does not work. The signal comes in (I can see it, or hear it using jack cables), but it is not passed on to the L+R output on USB.

Is this a bug? Or it is intended for reasons I can’t guess?

This is not the same problem described here. Overbridge works fine.

Thanks,

G.

1 Like