Using Digitakt as an iOS audio interface

I finally got around to updating my Digitakt to 1.20A and found that the manual was really very vague about how it would behave with various apps, how the inputs are prioritized, etc.

Has anyone else been using the DT as an audio i/o for iOS? What are the pitfalls? What works like a charm?

Personally I would like record video with the audio coming from the DT’s inputs, but the camera app only seems to record audio from the Digitakt sequence. Does anyone have a workaround?

Have you enabled monitoring of the inputs?

1 Like

I have monitoring on and I hear both the DT and the external soundsource through the DT’s headphone jack, but listening back to the video on the phone I only hear the DT. It could be some quirk in the iOS camera app, documentation on that is kind of all over the place with how frequently they update it.

I’m sorry to inform you, but this is not possible.
There is already a long topic about this.

I’m still very dissapointed about it.

I will happily check out that thread, but I couldn’t find it with a cursory search. Do you have any more details? or even just a link. :sweat_smile:

This would work with digitone but not with digitakt unfortunately

1 Like

found it:

1 Like

Fortunately I have one of those lying around, thank you for the work around.

@DreamXcape thank you for the link :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No probs :+1:

2 Likes

No problem :slightly_smiling_face:
Have fun recording with the Digitone!

1 Like

Who had a Digitone just laying around!?

1 Like

I have a very modest living arrangement that doesn’t permit me to have all my stuff set up at the same time. The DN is a favorite and it’s on the never sell list though.

It just sounded funny. Like you have oodles of gear just laying around your house. A 2600 for hanging your dirty clothes on… Access Virus bookends… You know. :smiley:

2 Likes

Well those are actually pretty dope ideas for still life paintings!

I know a couple people like that, with modular systems so big you could step inside them and volcas on the coffee table. I have fond memories of synth meet-ups from the before times. Until it’s safe to hang out in person again I will have to make do with social media :stuck_out_tongue:

I have to admit I also have a Digitone lying around… somewhere… in one of those nice Elektron bags.
If people knew what more is just ‘lying around’, I would probably get banned for gear neglect. :shushing_face:

2 Likes

HI man,

you recently helped me out greatly in another topic regarding USB; but i cannot reply over 3 times…
Had one last question;
If i manage the find a normal USB-B to USB cable with OTG, would it be fine to just use an USB to USB-c adapter to fit it in my android? Or would that remove the OTG or something?

Thanks!

1 Like

i would also like to know this.

Disclaimer: Not every phone has the function enabled for this to work, so check that your phone accepts external USB devices first!

Do you mean Micro-USB with OTG to USB-B?
Cause those are pretty rare.
The OTG adapters(Micro-USB to USB-A) are a lot easier to find.

Do you mean USB-C to USB-B?

Technically USB-C doesn’t have OTG, since OTG is a USB 2.0 thing and with USB 3.0 there’s no need for it anymore. USB-C is always USB 3.0 or higher.

So no, your OTG would not be removed and technically this should work.
But that’s where the whole mess of combined standards begins and a lot can go wrong.
So no guarantee this will work, which is why I advised the little USB-C to USB-A 3.0 adapters.

I know DJTechTools sells good quality cables(USB-C to USB-B 2.0) for audio use which should work, but I haven’t heard of anyone testing these with phones.

Btw; it works but its very fragile.
at first it won’t work; but when I open the Camera app; record a small video and play it back then it works. After I do that I can record Youtube, spotify etc.

I am not bothering and ended up using my laptop.