Generative music with OT and non-modular hardware

Good, isn’t it? Yeah, it’s tape. I can’t imagine the labor that would have gone into making it. No PCs and Octatracks back then. The last 10 minutes or so (the later part of the second “movement” of Kontakte) is my particular jam. Love the variety of sounds and the montage, for lack of a better word.

That’s a fantastic idea. I will try that tonight. My method for generating ambient so far has also been limited to long, meandering arpeggios. When I read your post I was thinking: what about having an arp running on my Digitone AND one running from the OT to DN via MIDI? I’m curious to hear the results.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but I have found this useful (not me):

7 Likes

I’ve spend many, many hours with this and the octa can really do everything you’d want except easy manipulation of the actual beat. i want to push and pull midi and the only way I’ve had much luck with is using samples that have silence at the start so I can then manipulate that to randomize my trig placement. Otherwise the octa is so full of possibilities. Don’t neglect to set the key for your arps too!

I have plenty of octatrack work that is midi only. No use of the audio engine at all. it is a very capable creative sequencer.

3 Likes

Stockhausenish generative attempt.

OT only, no samples, midi loopback.
Midi tracks controlling audio tracks, recording inputs with nothing plugged.
Lfo on arp speed, Comb Filter’s pitch, Release…

14 Likes

Nice as always @sezare56

It is a great piece. Must listen properly.

From skipping around here’s my findings: I would load up 4 or 5 tracks of slices and play with rate plus manual tempo changes. I like to set the original tempo of a sample lower than the Master tempo and start playing with the rate from +32. That way I can make the sample go faster.

1 Like

Selected notes and speed (randomized values)

9 Likes

@sezare56 hat did you use to create this? Really like it. Fantastic creativity and variety.

1 Like

Great work! I like it a lot. It sounds like fun to explore this direction more …

1 Like

:smile:
I used an Octatrack. Same principle as previous record.

OT only, no samples, midi loopback (midi cable between in and out)
Midi tracks controlling audio tracks, recording inputs with nothing plugged.
Lfo on Comb Filter’s pitch, Release, Filter Env / Decay, AMP attack, Dark Reverb…

More details here :
:loopy: :elot: Comb Comp Contest!

I spent all evening trying out the comb filter. I’d love to get some feedback on this! Also, a question about MIDI loopback–what CC values are you automating?

7 Likes

Interesting, funny fast melodies…:slightly_smiling_face:

I mentioned some above. Anything I didn’t use with the 3 lfo dest of the audio track. Random lfos on CCs, Hold mode to avoid too much midi data. TRCs

1 Like

I wrote once up notes on Cenk’s tricks on the Digitone sequencer, which should mostly apply to the OT as well. Maybe this give some inspiration along the lines of evolving, seemingly non-repeatative pattern:

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/evolving-pattern-arp-tricks-design-arpeggiator-learning-from-cenk/60443

3 Likes

I’m using the Octatrack to record different patches from my guitar rig then letting them loop freely, then setting up a bunch of scenes. Listening to them play uniquely with each other is very rewarding and surprising at times. This method is very simple and easy.

4 Likes

I’m also a great fan of using unsynced loops to generate ambient textures.

• Combining them with slow lfos to let them fade in and out of existence.
  • Maybe even let one lfo modulating another one for more variety.
  • Add some probability based sparkles (melodic notes) here and there.
  • … and then go slowly but wild with scenes … guilty pleasure :smiley:
5 Likes

Ooooo @tnussb you always tickle my fancy! Going to have to get the OT back out for some of this or use miRack’s midi capabilities.

1 Like

Generative jazzish drums and upright bass with OT.
Midi tracks playing slices, arp speed variations.
Edit : I edited the track and kept the most “natural” part. I have to tame randomness and extreme settings.

1 bar pattern, variations with FILL, changing Arp Speed or each midi track.
Lacks velocity control…

12 Likes

Short version, edited…

8 Likes

I love this track! Very inspiring, thanks! I will have to get an octatrack again I think. I sold the last one only to get money. It’s truly the greatest machine ever!

1 Like

…king of combfilter at it’s finest again… :wink:

1 Like