Hi from a found-sound-using Octatrack newcomer and workflow convert!

Hey! I’m sure there is a better way on the forum to introduce myself, but I assume fellow Octatrack users will appreciate a hello and yet more agreement that it’s an amazing bit of kit!

I spent a long time looking for the right sampler, and I was always told that the Octatrack is a really daunting machine to learn. But I am loving the hell out of it!

I use found sound and I wanted to get away from my computer, but still have the power of a decent virtual sampler, which some more tricks in the bag, and the OT really has it. I’ve also been inspired by its limitations.

Recently, I’ve been challenging myself to use one sound to make bite sized jams, which you can check out on my instagram or soundcloud.

Any other found sound users on here? Show me what you got! :grin:

14 Likes

Great stuff on your IG!

My Rytm might need to go to repair, so I was already filling up my OT with a bunch of slice chains. But it also looks fun to just work as much from just one sample, will try out.

1 Like

Not sure if it corresponds to a found sound, but we worked on one sample based songs here.

Cowbell
OT Science Lab - 1 year study - 11 - More Cowbell :cb:

OT metronome recording
Octatrack Metronome Only Warp Experiment Science Lab

OT inputs noise recording (no samples, nothing plugged to OT)
:elot: Comb Comp Contest!

2 Likes

Really nice stuff on your instagram! And I think we may have the same washing machine…

2 Likes

Thanks @lesstalkmoredisco! I’m enjoying the sound of your setup on IG too. That modular rig!!
Would love to hear what you come up with on the OT. :grin:

1 Like

Hey @sezare56! Really great challenges. I like the restrictive rules. I might have a go at the cowbell and post my results. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks so much @tr909! It’s a decent machine/instrument. :wink:

I was actually surprised about the amount of sounds you can get from a simple short field recording, to the point it almost looked fake to me lol. But I understand it’s not - I guess you can crop in so far that you can find sounds at the detail of single cycles. I’m sure I’ll try my hands at it some time :grin:

And yeah thanks - my 6U is great, especcially in combination with a powerful Elektron.

1 Like

I’ll take that as a compliment :laughing:

The first reel I uploaded, I resampled a track using a pickup machine and split the clip across 2 tracks, so I guess there was a bit more processing involved there.

I’ve tried to involve little outside processing - cut extreme freqs, resample in RX (bit of noise reduction to avoid repitching BG noise, but fades also work nicely in the AED). I would show more of the process, but I doubt most people on IG would hang around for that. But maybe one day I’ll do a video on YT? :thinking:

The very tight cycles in the editor are pretty cool! I like seeing the node appear when I find a zero-crossing point - so handy! I do rely on that quite a bit - and the filter.

The TLDR is: I’ve basically been really getting used to editing in the OT audio editor and just seeing what I can get out of those limitations.

1 Like

I have modular envy! I’ve made a wishlist of modular gear, but I will need to bankroll some more funds before I sink into it.

1 Like