Octatrack or Digitakt - no computer setup

I just reread the main question and saw this bit. So that seems to suggest OT to me – it’s perfectly possible to do these things on DT too ofc, but for one machine that will be around for many years and excels at controlling other synths, I’m saying OT. Also, you mentioned wanting to play live — OT has insane potential for this over DT.

I just pulled the trigger on a used OT MKII today. I will keep my DT for drums for now, but may end up selling it to keep OT and DN for a more streamlined workflow.

4 Likes

:sunglasses::ok_hand:t3:

1 Like

The paraphonic nature of midi tracks on the OT was the main thing that made me avoid the idea of it as a main midi note sequencer and lean towards a DT. I know you can use multiple tracks of one note to build a poly sequence but you can’t just play in poly notes and expect it to sound like what you played. Digitakt captures the notes with note tails having the ability to cross over each other so you can expect playing into it to sound more similar to what you actually played, notes that start on the same trigger still have to have the same length and such though. Ironically I mostly use the digitakts midi to transpose sequencers on other synths so I don’t really use that function as much as I thought I would… still when I am sequencing one of my polys it is a nice feature to have.

3 Likes

:joy:
There’s something with Excell.
@Rusty, is that OT files secret??

1 Like

Rate is an additional pitch / reverse setting.
+63 Normal speed
+32 Half (-1 octave)
+16 Quarter (-2 octave)

0 Stop

-32 Half Reverse
-64 Reverse

It also has a timestretch mode that lowers timestretch tempo’s reference the same way (half, quarter, etc). With that mode and timestretch off, it does Reverse only.

1 Like

I :heart: Excel. One of the most awesome programs ever developed.

2 Likes

yes, I think the DT is a better MIDI sequencer than the OT.
-not paraphonic
-faster to use
-more directly accessible than on the OT (don’t have to go into a different ‘page’)

the MIDI arpeggiator on the OT is great, but I’m not super into arpeggios so w/e

1 Like

oh yeah and I forgot to mention the mpc also has ableton live export and 5hrs of portability which you will surely use, cause you’re an ableton user and you’ll probably want to dump your stuff easily back into your computer at some point… mpc/ableton export + digitakt/overbridge= a well trained salsa duo

1 Like

DT’s MIDI sequencing is good for monophonic parts like bass lines. Hook it up to a monosynth or two (or eight), and it’s golden.

The DT is terrible for sequencing polys unless you’re doing blocky chord jabs on the grid.

If you play keys and need a free form DAW-like experience, then you’ll be disappointed. Squarp Pyrmaid looks like it would be a better choice for that type of MIDI sequencing.

1 Like

I would go with OTmk1.
Got mine used for 600€.
Took me aboat one year to get flowing on that thing, but the possibilities are just mindblowing :). Its a beast! I made some empty projects with different settings, so i can get started really quickly. First half of year was filled with both joy and pain - as i was facing a lot of issues how to setup up everything with other machines, midi etc etc. Tons of videos, hours of headscratching. But after that first year the manual is now collecting dust and i have lots of love for that machine now!

My setup is OT as master and AR, AK (all mk1), Zoia, OP-1, Matrix 1k slaves.

1 Like

I’ve always been a bit scared of the OT but after reading this thread I really want one!

I think when I started with Elektron boxes a few years ago I was very studio-bound but I’ve been performing more with a small eurorack setup coupled to an A4 and more recently a DN. Really love the DN as both a sequencer and sound source.

I can’t help thinking that an OT could tie it all together, giving me that missing sampling/percussion element and being much more performance-oriented than a DT. Looks like it gives me the two things I’m really missing from the DN too - midi arp and a song mode.

1 Like

hi friends : - )
thank u all for all ur help!! i decided to go with an octatrack, just got it today
i decided that a larger chromatic range of samples is not really that important to me; i also wanted to sequence synths as a large part and the arp on the octatrack seemed appealing. i also like the ease of slicing. i have not performed live, just made tracks, but it is a big dream of mine to get into performing some little shows and things like that, so the live aspect of it appealed to me as well, really excited to learn and try to make some music on it, i have read the manual and i dont think i digested that much of it but i am hoping that once i am able to spend a lot of time over the next few weeks i will be able 2 learn a lot

moving abroad in february so now eyeing cheap small synths i can take with me that would be nice with octatrack :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Not exactly cheap but the DN is an ideal companion, both portable and amazing. My OT is coming Tuesday. That OT Midi arp is going to be abused

2 Likes

I considered the digitone, definitely an option…i am also considering the minilogue xdm or a4 mki (used)…so uhhh not that cheap but i am still looking and unsure…minilogue xd seems nice for the price but I think I want something multitimbral the interface appeals to me though and i wonder if the a4 would be overkill since it will have all its own sequencing abilities …think i just want to go with something newer like post 2000s

1 Like

:content:
Octatrack with just 1 synth for under $400?

Well, you can start with OT only.
Probably the best to learn it faster (the midi part to control external synths is pretty easy).

@darenager’s lab (I have to finish it soon!)
OT Science Lab - 1 year study - who’s up for it? [LAUNCHED]

OT only, saw wav, 6 tracks with rdm midi arp loopback.

Record inputs noise
:loopy: :elot: Comb Comp Contest!

Resampling possibilities! :thup:
Take your time!

2 Likes

hey that sounds really good!! maybe i will wait until around when I leave and see what i think…

1 Like

On OT all you do to back up your samples is copy your audio folder containing the samples somewhere else on your computer. :slight_smile:

Yes, but original poster didnt post that the OT couldn’t back up. Just that the DT couldn’t back up. Hence my comment clarifying that the DT could in fact backup samples.

On the dt it isn’t more complicated you just need the transfer app. Open the app grab the sample folders you want, drag to computer

1 Like

My bad i don’t even remember replying lol :joy:

I think the OT might be the best all around solution and no the effects are not bad at all. They just take a bit of tweaking to make sense. The Compressor on the master channel can get that really cool lofi pumping if set right too, kind of like the 404. The DT is really great too for the price and features, but the OT will probably give you more options to slice samples. Also the OT is like a magic black hole, once you fall in to what it can do, it never ends.

1 Like