Use cases that illustrate the depth of Elektron gear

Idk about other boxes but you can’t p lock a negative LFO depth on Octa.

Also, if you set a trig down on step 1, p lock it to full left, then set a trig down on step 9 and p lock it to full right, then tell your trigs to slide, your sound will pan smoothly from left to right over 9 steps. You’re welcome :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Fair enough, I was thinking of the DT and the DN

That is pretty fantastic! How do you program such a slide?

Don’t know how to do it on your fancy new boxes but I’m sure it’s there cause it’s been there since MD Mk1. Check the manual.

BTW the slide ends up sliding any and all parameter changes. Pitch, filter, whatever. Have fun.

1 Like

Octa has slide trigs, just place two slide trigs and p-lock parameter(s) on one slide trig.
Parameters will slide to or from the unlocked value relative to the sequencer tempo.
Slides are entered in the Track Trig Edit Menu where all trigs, slide trigs, swing trigs and recorder trigs are shown. [Func] + [Bank] when Grid Recording is active.

A4/AK/AR have note slides and parameter slides.
Works similar, but you enter them by holding a trig and pressing a button. Func + Parameter Slide lets you see all entered slide trigs.
Monomachine and Machinedrum also had it.

Works similar on all of them, only how you enter them differs.

1 Like

I haven’t seen anything like this on the DT or DN, sounds like a very useful feature.

Use Octatrack without samples, just using inputs without anything plugged. :loopy:

No fx but comb filters and compressor. Midi loopback with arp controlling comb filters pitch. Lfo designer for “bass” notes.
:loopy: :elot: Comb Comp Contest!

7 Likes

that challenge was fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m flabbergasted that the Digi series doesn’t have slide function when every other box before them has…

1 Like

Agreed. Hopefully it’s added eventually because it’s a super cool and useful feature. Some crazy slide sample morphing for digitakt, which now that I think about it might be what’s holding slide back on DT. Might be too difficult to slide between samples. But DN should definitely get it!

2 Likes

It is possible with lfo, so it should be possible with a slide.

1 Like

How?

feature-request@elektron.se :content:

1 Like

You said it’s possible to slide between samples using an LFO, I’m asking you how?

Apply an lfo to sample slots…:upside_down_face:
If you meant morphing between samples slots with one track, it doesn’t seem possible, but modulating Start with well prepared samples divided in 120 you should be able to “morph“ samples. You should be able to do something like the Megabreak of Doom

@wascal, you are concern by that topic! :wink:

I have an AR MKI, it’s an interesting challenge!
It’s more convenient with DT because it has sample Length instead of End. :cry:

2 Likes

Darn, yeah I meant morphing/sliding between two different samples on one track. That would be really cool

One day I’m going to really invest a few years making the perfect sample sets/chains for the MegaBreakOfDoom.
I’ve definitely made some breakbeat chains, that’s cool and all, but I have a feeling there’s more to explore there, A LOT more.
That wascal vid alludes to it a wee bit, placing breaks strategically so you can kind of finesse the cross. Would be fun to make a whole set with nothing but the MBOD, on multiple tracks, bass lines, leads, ambience, using mix mode to mute stuff on and off and get really freaky.

3 Likes

Sure. I experienced that principle with a non matrixed sample, with an lfo for offset per bar.
Also used midi loopback + processing to assign scenes depending on xfader position, up to 16. Huges possibilities (crap video, watch scenes changing at the beginning and at 1mn)

2 Likes

Between 120 samples you mean? :smirk:

That IS really cool. Done :wink:

Example with @wascal files. Would you mind if I upload them for sharing?

:joy: Sorry I can’t help from mangling like crazy.
Octatrackus OCD syndrome.

For morphing you have to prepare your samples in consequence, like this :

Made for OT but same principle : 16 plocked samples, 16 slices. Each sample is a loop with a different filter setting. One bar, morphing with crossfader, or Start of AR.

3 Likes

Wow did not think that was doable on the AR :open_mouth:

I’ve been out of Elektron land for years now and have sudden GAS for an Rytm :sob:

1 Like

Back when I had an Octatrack and I was getting my first few MBOD’s together I did a lot of experimenting with pairing ones with different lengths.

Eg, my breakbeat one had 64 samples, then I had a ‘perc loops’ one with 32 samples, a ‘bassline loops’ one with 16 samples and so on. The theory being that you could gradually crossfade between an entire set on one scene and spend more attention on my Machinedrum and Monomachine.

It worked pretty well but eventually I lost focus and started getting more into complex resampling chains and all that stuff and gave up on it. I plan to get another OT one day, I miss the little wormhole projects you can get sucked into for weeks :grin:

2 Likes