Open Battle #4 - Mix first, ask questions later(ed)

I’m glad I have a great delay :upside_down_face:

Fun prompt! It’s not too different from how I work. Looking forward to coming up with a track in the spirit of the battle. And to hearing everyone’s naked, reverb-less tracks

4 Likes

Well the tracks don’t have to be reverb-less, you’re just not allowed to use a reverb unit to achieve it.

If you want to build your own out of a bunch of delays that’s allowed.

If you want to resample all your drums under a railway bridge, that’s allowed.

If you want to record your vocals in the shitter, that’s allowed.

Creativity is encouraged.

Black hole presets are not.

14 Likes

Can I Blue Peter it? Submit something I made a while ago, it meets the critera already.

3 Likes

As long as it meets the criteria I don’t give a shit.

And where I’m from, “Blue Petering” something has a far less savoury connotation.

4 Likes

Cool. I’ll upload it if I remember.
What does it mean where you’re from then?

Done! (with more restrictive rules so I’m off :pl:)

:elot: Comb Comp Contest!

1 Like
grown up stuff

Pleasuring onesself with a homemade implement.

For example:

Don’t touch that bottle Dave, our Mandy’s been Blue Petering that all week.

4 Likes

Oh. Is that all? I was hoping for something less savoury.

Anyway will enter this thing. My track is hardly a track, but its a live take, no reverb at all.

1 Like

You’ve not seen our Mandy…

5 Likes

I am so excited about this :flushed: just need to reserve a bit of free time to record some jamz.

…Can’t wait to hear others, too. (He said politely)

1 Like

Here’s one I made earlier (Our Mandy was not involved)

No reverb. Single take etc. Originally made for another one these challenge wotsits, but I cant remember what it was called.

5 Likes

Ffs. I’m getting a Quadraverb in 2 days man.

3 Likes

It does have a lovely EQ on it.

1 Like

The chorus and delay and EQ are pretty good

2 Likes

better?

3 Likes

okay, so just do what i do and dont use reverb… right? thats what i got from your brief. but you and i kinda do it in the same vein, so i just want to make sure i not missing a detail…

Pretty much!
I think its more a challenge for the people that mix post recording. Or who get stuck some where and cant finish a track. (What ever that means. Its finished when you say it is)

For the people that already work that way eg: record a live stereo mix and if its good its good, yeah… turn your reverbs off.

3 Likes

I loved this track you put up for the Mars challenge…
I had wanted to go a very different route, with comic book influences and all that, and you just kind of quietly destroyed all that with this very subdued track that, i felt, captured the isolation of the droid very well.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll admit it’s not much of a challenge for some people.

But that just means your track should be much better than everyone else’s.

2 Likes

Lets not get too carried away, shall we?
I was about to follow suit from these other guys and post the thing i didnt post for the last hip hop battle because i got too drunk on wine and fell asleep and missed the deadline, but now that youve lit a fire under my ass i guess i have to really bring the stuff.
What are we looking at as far as a deadline goes, sir?

1 Like