What's next for Elektron?

Just as a reminder, for Digitone II and TonVerk wild speculations we already have these discussions:

For feature requests, please choose the appropriate thread.

https://www.elektronauts.com/search?q=feature%20requests

Nothing above fits: this thread is the right one!

3 Likes

So, what’s the new programming platform use in DT2?

Should we expect, eventually, new boxes in the 3 tiers (Big-expensive, Digis, Cheap line) in this new platorm in the next 5~7 years?

Or, are we going to see a narrower of the lines? (No more Big-Boxes, neither Cheap ones) Just DT2 form/features/price in the future?

2 Likes

I hope not. I really love my M:S. If Elektron managed to solve the battery issue, as well as adding a few more quality of life shift functions like attack, loop start/end, it would be even better!

3 Likes

I’m not sure they are looking to solve the battery problem. From the wording at the time it sounded very much like “we are recalling all the battery containers and writing it off as a bad idea”.

Of course I have no inside knowledge, but from what I can remember it was definitely not worded “we are recalling the battery containers until we have improved them”.

2 Likes

The current Models line share their hardware components with the now discontinued DT1 including most of them being end of their life cycle.

1. THGBMDG5D1LBAIT is the 4GB eMMC NAND Flash device. This would account for the 1GB +Drive size for the M:S (same as the DT1). Replaced in the DT2 with Kingston EMMC32G-TX29 eMMC NAND (TLC) Flash, 256Gbit (32GB).

2. S25FL128S 128Mbit SPI Flash memory, also replaced in the DT2 with the Winbond W25Q128JVFQ , which is a QSPI NOR Flash device with 128MBit (16MB) , also very hard to find online.

3. NT5TU128M8HE - 1GB DDR2 SDRAM, not replaced in DT2, can also be found in DT1.

This is interesting to note that despite very similar components the models have much “weaker” features. This could lead one to believe there is still a lot of processing power available that could be used for future updates.

Unfortunately the timing of the last piece of informations on the models, a Live dispatch and a video from Ricky Tinez this winter, along with a discount in price, seems to make one believe they are probably not going to support the models anymore and looking at closing this chapter.

As for a successor, a “mk2” or simply a new, cheaper, line of Elektron instruments… That would be interesting but a risky investment when something as highly priced as the DT2 already sells so well.

If we start thinking that every new elektron product will have the SHARC DSP, this means a lot more power even for the cheaper line, which might makes the upgrade path much harder to maintain. See how many people already considering not buying the DT2 when they already have the DT1…

M:S PCB

DT1 PCB

10 Likes

Yeah, that is kinda just marketing fluff. Basically they mean that the filters work like their own Machines with different filter types. Also I noticed they changed the LFO button to MOD. I am wondering if they are going to bring more modulation machines eventually. An envelope that you can chose the destination of would be nice.

1 Like

Wait, so if a new Octatrack comes along and it’ll have significantly different insides, will it be Octatrack MKIII? Or, going by the new naming logic, Octatrack II? Which would be hella confusing.

I think this confirms OT will not get an upgrade, because naming it will be too difficult.

2 Likes

Interesting…
Now I really wish they’d give the M:C a 2nd lfo and/or lfo modes (especially S&H)

Who wants an Octatrack mk3 when you could wish for an HexadecaTrack?

8 Likes

They kind of cornered themselves with the “no secondary function” design philosophy for the models. It makes any wish of adding feature a bit of a nightmare when you have to consider that you absolutely cannot create any new function using knobs/buttons/keys that already got one.

Though it does mean the models will never turn into sp-404 combo monsters. Fast workflow and jamming potential.

Even with this in mind, there is “room” for updates, and it does not seem like the issue is the hardware being too weak for most of the features requested.

1 Like

Some knobs (like reverb and delay) have secondary functions so it’s not as if they can’t add more where it makes the most sense!

I think what they meant by this is they do not want to give extra functions to knobs which have not existing secondary functions clearly written already for them. Which makes sense as it would be a bit confusing having to guess in the middle of a jam that FUNC + volume now changes the attack of your current sound… for example.

2 Likes

I think they should make a performance mixer. Something drenched in effects. Look at all the effects the sp404 has. Or the polyend play. Utilize the crossfader from the octatrack. The elektron sequencer and trig locks. Let it have multiple ins and outs in stereo to run through it. If you think about it, its the only thing really missing apart from a true subtractive synth. We have samplers and drum machines coming out our ears. We have a FM synth and a few limited fx boxes. We need a legit epic mixer full of up to date fx.

8 Likes

A4 isn’t a true subtractive synth? :thinking:

3 Likes

Whats next for Elekteon?

Something analog only but not in the premium Rytm mk2 or A4 mk2 price range.

But how can Elektron make another analog synth but cheaper when the A4 only has 4 voices?

A 800$ or even 1,000$ analog something would be nice. Or even less.

Rytm mini? with no pads and performance features. In the digi form factor. Less tracks?

Idk probably has been mentioned already.
But new MSRP Rytms & A4’s are getting close to 2k$ now.
Would like to see a more affordable analog something.

I can’t find any flaw in your logic.

2 Likes

Dont think Elektron gonna go back to “affordable” any time soon, the Models were too much of a bad experience for them to invest more money into that kind of instruments especially when 1K+ elektron box sells already so well.

I would I say there is a demand and a market for more affordable Elektron devices. And I think Elektron can benefit a lot from well designed budget friendly elektrons, which probably lead to buying the bigger devices in the future.

Edit: the overall vision and direction of the models were and still is great, but was executed badly (for my needs)

1 Like

I mean, I went the other way, trying all the Elektron big boxes but then finding my home with M:S as the simplest way to get hold of the Elektron sequencer but I understand what you mean.

3 Likes

they’re cool machines and sound great. there’s room for improvements and upgrades for sure. usb c power. internal lipo or internal AA’s. better screen. maybe a handheld form factor. built in mic or somethin cool. and an attack parameter :wink:

id buy one 100%

4 Likes