Cycles multitracks on Ableton

You, on the other hand, have such a good attitude that the only thing you know how to do is controversy.

Maybe we should all take a deep breath and a moment to read the community guidelines so that this thread doesn’t become a flag fest?

https://www.elektronauts.com/guidelines

3 Likes

I agree. However, in my opinion the topic ends here. I don’t think there’s anything else to say about it.

1 Like

I think you are wrong and I will explain why:

A drum machine is entry level because:

• it costs more to do individual outs
  • it costs a lot more to put hardware that allows Overbridge
  • it costs more to add more hardware to do any other extensive features that allow more control over synth

also, no pro it demanding things that don’t exist in the first place, pros listen to the sound of the device, pros buy the device, pros play the device and many times pros give zero fucks about updates or new versions, it’s either giving them the sound they want or they get something else.

you have options, you can record tracks individually with a bit of work, that’s why you pay less for the models, but you refuse to do the work and demanding things that’s probably not possible with these devices anyway.
pros don’t look for shortcuts.
pros do the hard work.
pros make do whatever it takes to make things sound good and professional.

and you realize that many pros that have thousands of dollars worth of modular gear have only mono out? and that Juno 106 that’s been used by pros for decades and costs $2500 on second hand market has stereo out?

another point

TR-6s vs TR-8s

exact same engine, exact same capabilities, only the size and hardware controls are different.
same sound, different boxes, less price for less controls/outs

4 Likes

This way we can talk endlessly. It seems that my long previous post was not understood.
I spoke clearly. I said it costs nothing to develop an overbridge for Cycles.
If you know it’s technically not possible, say so, and maybe even explain why. And the discussion ends. There is no point in starting a controversy with the intention of making the interlocutor look like an idiot who has done something stupid.
My speech is constructive and I realize that it is not easily understood.
If the app can be made, it will be made. If it can’t be done, it would be helpful to know why.
End.

Additional to

… and …

Elsewhere on the forum:

3 Likes

Perhaps try telling that to the person who would be developing this app and see what they say

4 Likes

Dear bibenu, probably the only thing to do is focus on another drum. I say this with regret because I like how cycles sounds. But unfortunately I don’t see any alternatives. Only walls.

1 Like

You may want to look at the Syntakt then. It’s the model:cycles machines plus an awful lot more, and I’m fairly sure (but please double check) it supports overbridge.

3 Likes

Yes. I was looking at the features of syntakt 2. Yes, it supports overbridge.

2 Likes

Re-reading the thread, I’m still not clear on whether your issue is actually expecting to get multi-track audio over USB into Ableton (not possible with Cycles) or whether you are still having MIDI trouble with Ableton playing all six tracks at once.

Because it’s surely possible to have Ableton only play and record track 1, then track 2, then track 3, etc.
But since it’s MIDI, I think you have to do the mutes on the transmit side (Ableton), not the receiving side (M:C).

And the Underbridge app was built to automate the process of exporting isolated audio tracks one-by-one from the M:C itself (though not inside Ableton).

If you expect to get multi-track audio into the DAW simultaneously (12ch audio) - then yes, Syntakt is your only option - because it’s like a “Cycles Pro” which includes Overbridge support.

2 Likes
5 Likes

I understand you are using Cycles as a midi controller for Ableton, right?

It is possible to control up to 6 channels, but you need to mute first your channels in Cycles, to not hear them while controlling Ableton tracks.

I love it. Someones has problems working with a simple machine, didn’t research its specifications, and EVERYONE is wrong but him, because everyone here does not know how to produce correctly.
@Ciccio If you are not able to get single tracks out of the Cycles, you either have to learn a lot more about music production instead of telling everyone here how bad they are, or, if you are not willing to, buy a device that fits you need.
Your attitude in this thread belongs to Reddit or X, but not to Elektronauts.

3 Likes

I recorded 6 tracks of the Model:Cycles separately into Bitwig for a song. How?

It took 4 takes of recording. 1st take was everything to stereo. This was my reference track.

Take 2 was tracks 1 and 2 panned hard left and right, everything else muted. I listened to the reference track at a lower volume and did a take of the song just worrying about tracks 1 and 2. If I recall correctly, I had a notebook with the desired changes written down and used markers in my DAW to know what section was coming up.

Repeat for 3-4 and 5-6.

It’s easy if you’re willing to put the effort in.

4 Likes

You could make a maxforlive device that sends mute (as in volume = 0) to any track that you want to mute on cycles.

1 Like

But who studies the manual before buying a device?
The devices must be tested to understand their strengths and weaknesses. I already wrote this in a previous answer, and I repeat, they must be tried.
“everyone makes mistakes except him”?? What are you talking about?
When did I say that? Copy and paste.
Regarding the way of producing, I didn’t invent the mixing techniques. Work is done on individual tracks. And I also explained why (I could have even not responded to the provocation, but instead I respond to everyone because I don’t disrespect anyone), each track needs a different treatment. This is why large production studios have huge 48-channel mixers. And even more.
You continue to throw mud at me, to denigrate and slander her just because I highlighted a lack of an elektron device, easily resolvable with the development of a plugin for the DAW (there is no need to buy a top level device to obtain the management of individual tracks ).
You sound like a person who feels hurt.
But are you the creator of elektron devices? Have you felt offended because one of your devices, designed by you, was criticized for the lack of an app? No? Didn’t you design them? So why this rancorous attitude??
And even if you were the creator of cycles, why feel rancor? If I had been the creator of this device, I would have welcomed the constructive criticism of a cycles user with interest, and I would have tried to solve the problem, which certainly would have also been the problem of many other cycles users. So I would have shown interest.
I expected a constructive and collaborative attitude, but instead I found elektron followers who immediately took up the sword to defend it at all costs, as if my post were a threat. When in reality it was just to fill a gap in Cycles, and try to solve a problem that many Cycles users have.
Absurd.
Constructive attitude, zero.
Controversial attitude, 1000.

I’m tired of standing here fighting. This wasn’t what I expected.
We are wasting time with this attitude. Or a solution is found. Or it is better to block the post.

I thought the same thing. Or an au plugin. But it’s easier with max for live.

But what he said was

Which is honestly a fair observation, I think. I think most people on this forum would agree it’s reasonable enough to expect, with such a technical product, that you might have to read the specifications to understand it’s capabilities before purchase. FWIW I often find myself reading parts of manuals before purchase too … but some might think me picky, I don’t know.

EDIT: I think this is the crux of the disagreements we’ve seen above.

2 Likes

Ok I didn’t read the specs. So shouldn’t we look for the solution to the problem now? We continue to move away from the focus of the discussion, concentrating attention on details that are irrelevant in my opinion.
With cycles you cannot work on individual tracks on the DAW. A plugin or a max for live must be developed.
This is the focus of the discussion.
If anyone has another solution, they are welcome.
Regarding the Uija user, I don’t think this was the problem. But the controversy and the mud, an unjustified resentment. And an out of place nervousness. Do you agree?