Rust Audio Developer @ Elektron

Rust Audio Developer

Gothenburg, Sweden (on-site with flexible remote days)

Elektron builds state-of-the-art music instruments with deep functionality and exceptional sonic capabilities. We are expanding our developer team in order to push the edge of music creation. With a track record of iconic products such as the Machinedrum, Octatrack or Digitakt, Elektron has become uniquely positioned in its ability to execute on uncompromising ideas.

Elektron highly values creativity and gives room, due to small teams and a flat hierarchy, for every idea to be heard. Joining the Elektron team means being trusted in your abilities.

Role

Elektron is looking for a highly skilled audio software developer to join our team working on a cutting-edge software platform which will drive the next generation of our instruments. In this role, you will be a key contributor to core platform code, product-specifics, and crucial API design connecting distinct layers. Code base is primarily Rust, but with some parts being in C/C++ as well.

Key qualifications:

BSc or equivalent in computer science or related field
Audio programming experience in systems programming language such as Rust, C or C++
Strong interest in Rust language and its ecosystem
Good understanding of realtime systems
2 years of industry experience working in a team as a software engineer
Exceptional engineering abilities, including a strong sense for documentation and tests
Excellent written and verbal communication skills

Preferred qualifications:

Passionate about music
Experience working with Linux audio subsystems
Some experience with digital signal processing
Good understanding of MIDI protocol

What we offer:

A job in the music industry, giving joy to people
An open and friendly culture
A workplace with experts that are deeply passionate about electronic music
Competitive salary
International relocation assistance
For non-EU citizens we provide support for VISA/work permit application
Nice view of the harbor from our office & god fika
8 Likes

Why Rust? Treat me like I am 5. Does it represent a new platform for Elektron? Was all of their other stuff straight C/C++ (prototyped in Max? :smiley:)

1 Like

yeah, it’s interesting to see rust mentioned here. i wonder how it fits into their development. i don’t generally associate it with audio programming but am not also in that realm.

1 Like

For me this was the interesting part:

“Experience working with Linux audio subsystems”

Are they building a box that uses more powerful processor and runs Linux?

2 Likes

With the caveat that I have no knowledge of Elektron’s internal development processes etc.

I expect basically everyone to move to embedded Linux as we move forward.

Net result is things like the Akai range all running the same SoC and the same base/core firmware across the entire range: MPC, MPX, One, Force etc.

5 Likes

Alternatively, if you’re not a dev/coder:

Hardware Design Engineer

We are currently looking for a Hardware Design Engineer to expand the R&D team further. As an electronic hardware design engineer at Elektron you will work with the complete hardware design chain, from product ideas to full production.

or

VP Supply Chain

We are currently looking for a VP of Supply Chain to assume the commercial responsibility for all our production and logistics.

5 Likes

:joy: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Systems programming is rapidly moving to Rust & GoLang. I was a C++ programmer back in the day and am extremely happy to see us move beyond Assembly-with-Objects (C++).

3 Likes

I’m an agnostic atheist; so whilst I like a nice view; and love chokladflarn, my theological position would change quite quickly having fika with god on a daily basis.

@TobySD

4 Likes

Someone better tell the “class compliant” audio manufacturers.

That describes me, except when I’m sailing a small boat in big weather or in a club with a great sound system & DJs.

Or playing with Elektron gear (and a few other things).

1 Like

Just earlier today I was thinking about the practicality of learning Rust, getting into audio programming, and looking for a job in a company making products I love.

I’m gonna take this ad as a sign my hunch was right.

5 Likes

Gothenburg is nice. friends of ours live there now. i spent a week there on a stranger’s couch back in 2001. too bad i am not likely to be proficient in rust any time soon.

Quite likely, yes. It makes a lot of sense from the business and development (SW & HW) point of view. It’s much cheaper to build upon already available stuff than starting from scratch.

1 Like

Rust makes it easier to not screw certain things up, relating mostly to memory and multi threading. It can compile for bare metal embedded systems but I think it’s more likely that this is aimed at embedded Linux.

It’s a nice language with many nice features but I believe the drawback, for low level audio, is that it’s very difficult to stop it bounds checking arrays at run time. It can be done, but it’s ugly and by that point you might a well just use C++.

4 Likes

I’ve not done systems programming since uni in the 90s (I do front-end web)… are you mentioning this because it means Rust puts the breaks on real-time audio compared with C/C++ ?

1 Like

That’s what I read at least. Every time you use an array it checks whether you are reading or writing within bounds, which is s lot of work you wouldn’t want in a tight DSP loop.

I’ve seen someone explain how you can get around it, but it’s ugly and not very rust-like.

1 Like

Gotcha. Thanks.

I find “not Rust-like” unsurprising: memory safety is like it’s no.1 selling point :grin:.

I’ve been curious about Rust for ages. I’ll give it a proper look-see in the next couple of months. I’ve not done any aerious systems nor audio work. The closest I got was a drum machine in JS for the web audio API. This is gonna be a long journey. :rofl:

The fika part is fighting words. I live in Gothenburg and while Sweden in general is world class at fika (no we are, don’t argue), Gothenburg certainly tops the list, bar a few small towns along the coast here and there.

So yeah, Elektron, professionalism and experience and bleeding edge, that’s all good, but if you say you provide god fika, I’m gonna hold you accountable for this one if you don’t.

3 Likes

what is god fika?

2 Likes