Rytm tips and tricks

Let’s share our smart tricks and tips in here, or somewhere. Let’s keep it simple so it’s easy to browse.

STICKY PERF MODE
Make current perf mode stick by exiting perf mode while pressing the pads - then release them, and they’re stuck where you left them. This way you can leave a perf state half pressed, and get on with other tasks. Super handy. Go back to perf mode and press the pads again to release them.

32 Likes

Same thing with ReTrig
From this thread
How do I do it thread

Latching ReTrig.
Hold ReTrig & Pad of your choice. Once rolling, release ReTrig keeping the pad depressed & hit Mute. ReTrig now holds indefinitely until you leave Mute page & press the pad again.
(Chromatic/Scene/Perf pages work too.)

I was thinking it’d be cool to have a dedicated video thread for the AR too, maybe make it a sticky?

2 Likes

Why not keep it to the “How do I?” thread as that’s more full of discussion and predates this one? :wink:

1 Like

Yes indeed, one thread is easier to browse through than 2 !

Cool with me :slight_smile:

I searched for tips and tricks and stuff, and didn’t find it!! Ha ha, sorry.
Thread Closed. :wink:

There is another way to “lock in” a Performance parameter, but without leaving the Performance page.

In performance mode, hold down your track pad, then hold either the “Retrig” or “Track” button (I prefer the retrig, as I rarely use that feature), then let go of the pad first.
The key is not to let go of the button and pad at the same time. Let go of the pad first, then let go of the button.

10 Likes

in normal mode (when hitting a pad just plays the track sound) you can mute anything by hit/hold, ‘stick’ the pad (this prevents successive trigs from happening, the track is muted without going in mute mode)

with aftertouch modulation applied you can fix the amount of aftertouch, getting essentially a second performance mode accessible from normal mode

what I think happens: if the pad is hit, that is a non-zero velocity is sent, then the ‘sticky’ behaviour keeps hold of this one-off trig and the sequencer is ignored until the pad is released (by hitting it again); if the pad is pressed, that is a zero velocity signal is sent, then the aftertouch takes over the sticky behaviour and the sequencer trigs take place normally

Gotta love the hidden features :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe this is in the manual or this thread,
However, I just realized holding Function + Pad, mutes the pad.
NICE!

7 Likes

Where is the how to thread? Very interested .

Nope
It’s not muting, it’s playing a fixed velocity note
you’re just doing it with a short decaying sound - try it with a longer sustaining looping sample e.g. and you’ll see it’s not a mute - it just takes precedence over sequenced data whilst being played live and the sequence is ignored - a useful tool to exploit, but not a mute :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nope
you’re just doing it with a short decaying sound - try it with a longer sustaining looping sample e.g. and you’ll see it’s not a mute - it just takes precedence over sequenced data whilst being played live and the sequence is ignored - a useful tool to exploit, but not a mute :)[/quote]
Very interesting, thanks for the tips.
After a few drinks I was certain I was muting them.
Is it possible to change the velocity curve?
I’m not sure I understand.

Nope
you’re just doing it with a short decaying sound - try it with a longer sustaining looping sample e.g. and you’ll see it’s not a mute - it just takes precedence over sequenced data whilst being played live and the sequence is ignored - a useful tool to exploit, but not a mute :)[/quote]
Very interesting, thanks for the tips.
After a few drinks I was certain I was muting them.
Is it possible to change the velocity curve?
I’m not sure I understand.[/quote]
from memory - I believe you can adjust the nominal ‘fixed’ value (i.e. no curve) - think it defaults to 100 - it’s the same as though you press trigs 1 to 12 whilst not in a record mode !

cuckoo, locking the perform mode that way was going to be my tip lol
beat me to it

1 Like

Maybe a bit obvious but, using accent to select some trigs in a sequence and changing the value of the ‘standard’ velocity (in the trig menu) in order to bring the rest of notes up or down altogether.

3 Likes

I wasn’t aware of this one, thanks! :happy:

i just noticed this one… hold function and global to jump straight to the project menu :smiley:

I’m about a week in with my Rytm and thought I’d share some tricks I’ve found.

• This is probably very obvious but I was happy to discover it and didn’t see it mentioned elsewhere. The Velocity to volume parameter is not adjustable, either it is 100% on or 100% off. I thought it would be nice to have a more nuanced control over this aspect when playing the pads. Assign Velocity Mod to either the amp page level or the synth/sample page level, and there you have it, big or small changes in level based on velocity :okej: Obviously, you’ll need to turn the Vel to Vol off to get the full effect.

• It really depends on the sample you’re using and the effect you’re going for, but I’ve found using the Bit-crushing parameter with really tiny values (1-4) adds a nice static noise to your sample, and lowers the headroom a touch in a nice way. I haven’t found many other uses for the bitcrusher, aside from adding some serious craziness to single cycle waveforms, but it sounds quite nice when used this way.

• This is an old trick that I used all the time when I had an Octatrack, which is just as much fun with the Rytm. Copy the pattern you’ve made and paste it into the next pattern slot. Then change the master time signature setting on this new pattern. This is an easy and quick way to drastically change a pattern. You can set it to half time to slow it down a bunch, or double it, 3/4, 3/2, all kinds of cool stuff. I usually do this and then make some changes to the pattern to move things along, but sometimes just the change in timing is all you need to make a new section for your song.

Lastly, I have a question! The manual says this about the Velocity Mod page.
“Use the LEVEL knob to set the overarching velocity range.”
This makes it sound as if you can turn the level knob down to adjust the range of the velocity of the pads. I have turned the knob and although I see the representation of the knob change on the screen, it seems to have no effect on the velocity range. I set it to 60 and hit the pad hard and it goes to 127. Anyone care to explain what I’m missing here?

7 Likes

Some cool things I enjoyed lately. Maybe very obvious, maybe not…

• In any mode (not recording) you can play sounds with the trigger buttons (duh), including retriggers by pressing retrig + trigger button, and holding a trigger button prevents triggers from the sequencer, sort of muting tracks while holding the trig buttons. These are especially handy in scene and perf mode.

• Scenes are stored with the kit. Save your kit with no scene selected, then activate a cool scene (maybe hipassing some tracks, increase fx, whatever), play with some params on a given track to increase the tension, and press no + kit when you want everything to drop in again. Reloads the kit and deactivates the scene. Also works great if you enable reload kit on pattern change.

9 Likes

Didn’t know this one, handy indeed. It’s clumsy trying to unmute a track after a scene drop and this is muchh more intuitive