Your Favorite Ways To Use Samples For RYTM Are...?

Hey everyone! I’m about ready to start trying out the sampler features of the Rytm, however I haven’t sampled directly into a hardware sampler before. My goal is to build a small library for myself.

I was wondering if y’all could give some general tips on recording/using samples in the Rytm specifically? What are your favorite ways to use the sampler?

Do people tend to use the sampler more for one shot percussion sounds to mix with the synth engines and less for musical elements such as multi-sampled synths/chords etc to spread across the pads in Chromatic mode? Or is it about even here?

You’re in for a ride! The ARmk2 is my favorite sampler ever, and i’ve used a LOT of samplers.

I use the AR to make samplebased hiphop, (check it out here: https://youtube.com/channel/UCNNctXUUOj-yYTYPt2ScpiQ )so I’ve been sampling everything from drumsounds to atmospheric fx to sings on vinyl to synthsounds to chords.

Some things I love to do:

• I do sessions where I solely sample drum sounds into the machine, shape them using the analog filters, drive, distortion and the compressor, and resample those sounds to save into my library. This way I’ve built up a library of samples which are completely unique and sound the way I like them to. I’ve made folders for snares, hihats, kicks, percussion, drumbreaks etc.
  • An old trick for making samples sound more lofi is to sample them, tune them up (like 10 semitones) resample this, and tune this second sample down again. This way the sample will sound like it has a lower samplerate. It sounds great on both melodic samples and drum sounds. You do lose some higher frequencies but things sound more thick and punchy.
  • You can make a library of chords (maj, min, dom, maj7 min7 etc). You can pitch the chords inside the machine, so having 1 or 2 options of the basic chords is enough to use them in every basic chord progression).
  • Instead of chopping longer melodic samples into pieces I’ve found a way to finetune the startpoint, so you can save a long sample and still reach the exact startpoint you need. This saves work and space on your plusdrive. You can find the explanation in the ‘tips for the AR’ thread.

Have fun!

10 Likes

Some soild advice here.

Hi i have watched your videos and i like them a lot. I am currently thinking of going for a rytm. I have a Digitakt and a 404. In theory i could use the 8 sample tracks of the DT plus the midi tracks to sequence the 404. But having 12 tracks on the rytm, all going through the same chain sounds better to handle than having it split up into DT and 404.
As you have AR DT and 404, what is your take on this? Is is worth having the AR additionally to the DT404 setup?

1 Like

Thanks for watching/listening!

Your question is difficult to answer…
I love the DT-sp404 setup, best of both worlds as they offer a great sequencer and amazing fx/sampletime if you combine them. The AR has stolen my heart as a great all in one box though… I’d say stick with the DT/sp combo for now, until you feel you’ve completely exhausted all the possibilities, and then you might consider changing the DT for an AR. I dont think adding the AR to your setup would really be logical, as it overlaps with the DT a lot. Some things to keep in mind:

• the AR has 12 tracks, but only 8 voice polyphony, some of the tracks cut eachother off, so you basically have the same polyphony as just the DT.
  • The AR sounds more ‘boombap’ and less ‘lofi hiphop’ than the DT/sp404 combo, so thats a matter of preference.
  • The AR has songmode, and some more performance features, as well as the analog engines, but also does some things worse than the dt (sample finetuning, midi sequencing, sidechain comp etc).

I’d say it’s a matter of preference, the AR isn’t better than the DT/sp combo, just different.

Rytm tips and tricks for those who (like I just did!) had some trouble with the search bar :smiley:

2 Likes

thanks for the response, sounds reasonable, gas was kicking in :smiley:

1 Like

The AR is very basic as a midi controller for other devices as each channel only sends monophonic midi data versus the DT’s 4 note polyphony per channel.

1 Like

I have been using the AR more for samples lately.

I have tended to use non-drum hit samples, things with a lot of harmonic content (like chords from an FM synth, or stuff from Soma Ether, or sample my A4) and then use the filter and envelopes, sample start position, and loop, to turn them into different types of bell/percussion/hit, or even drones.

1 Like