Oxi One Hardware Sequencer

developer of this posted on muffwiggler. hadn’t heard of it and thought you all might be interested. it has a ton of features. there’s some videos of it in use posted on their page and youtube.

supposed to be priced under $600

has poly/mono/chord/multi modes and more modes to be added.
8 cv outs/8 gate outs
1 CV/Clock input

• 64 steps per sequence
  • 4 deeply configurable sequences
  • 4 modes: Monophonic, Polyphonic, Chord Mode, Multitrack (up to 8 independent tracks, one per row)
  • Cvs and gate outputs are user assignable.
  • USB MIDI, TRS MIDI, BLUETOOTH (BLE) MIDI routable to the cvs and gates outputs
  • Clock out and clock in (which serves as parameter modulation by pulse frequency)
  • Intelligent and musical pattern randomizer (with humanization and controllable randomization)
  • Innovative chord function
  • Playback and perform randomizer (velocity, octave, trigger and retrigger independently)
  • Keyboard mode with arpeggiator (10 modes, octavation, gate, rate and hold functions) and chord triggering (in chord mode).
  • Internal clock or external sync (USB MIDI, TRS MIDI, BLUETOOTH MIDI and clock IN)
  • Song mode with multi clip launching
  • One LFO per sequence with one assignable destination. Clock In can act as an assignable modulator.
  • Preview function
  • Velocity, octave, gate, modulation, glide (for cvs outs in mono mode), retrigger, micro offset, probability and strum (in chord mode) per step.
  • Plenty available scales and user selectable root note.
  • CV outs with portamento and vibrato. They can also act as VCA ready dynamic envelopes with different shapes.
  • 1/32th to 1bar resolution per step
  • Extend/zoom function
  • Loop function
  • Selectable Init and End steps. (Independent for each track and sequence)
  • Selectable MIDI output channels (Independent for each track and sequence)
  • Swing per sequence
  • Playback directions: forward, backward, alternate, random.
  • Multiple pattern edition features like duplicate, moving patterns in all directions
  • Copy, paste, clear features for patterns, parts, sequences, steps and presets.
  • 5 undo steps
  • Up to 15 projects which include project configuration and up to 16 patterns per track. A total of 960 patterns that can be stored in non volatile memory
  • MONOME GRID support in upcoming FW updates

HARDWARE

• Compact format: 36 x 14 x 2 cm
  • Less than 2cm thick (without knobs)
  • 128×64 bright OLED display
  • 4 rotary encoders with push button
  • 8×16 RGB buttons matrix
  • 5.1 fully functional and compatible MIDI BLE
  • Battery powered for up to 20 hours of wireless sequencing via BLE MIDI
  • Premium anodized aluminium case and knobs
  • All case drawings by laser etching
  • Tempered glass screen cover
  • ARM Cortex M4 120Mhz for great timing performance
  • 8 cvs and 8 gates
  • CVs outputs from -3V to 5V (8 octave range)
  • 5V gate outputs
  • 1 CV or Clock input
  • MADE IN EU

26 Likes

Interesting. Looks kind of like a squarp hermod met a polyend seq.

1 Like

Looks cool.

2 Likes

Interesting :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Standalone sequencer choices are hotting up in the past few years, nice to see.

17 Likes

compact form factor is attractive too. if the clock is solid it’ll be a contender.

3 Likes

One of the innovations recently was the zoom feature on deluge sequencer , showing sub steps etc.

This seems a fairly typical device , what’s innovative about this ? ( hard to tell right now )

i don’t know. did someone claim it’s innovative? it seems feature rich. has built in LFOs supports CV/Gate and midi. it’s another sequencer that may or may not be appealing to some people looking for something in this format with these features. that being said… the developer said on muffs that they plan on adding more modes. So, it’s in development and firmware is updatable.

i’m a ‘the more the merrier’ mindset when it comes to gear like hardware sequencers.

9 Likes

I guess my point was that new devices need to stand out from the crowd at launch and it wasn’t immediately obvious as to the features that stand out except the look of it and form factor of the sequencer grid.

Agreed but I think with so many relatively inexpensive hardware options these days and so many people going DAWless, standalone sequencer options could use some more variety and price points!

2 Likes

i think a lot of a product’s success or failure comes via the workflow. on paper the specs may be fewer or greater than other similar things but if the workflow and UI make sense to people and is inspiring and fun to use to create then it will do well regardless of not having a certain feature.

there’s only so many features for a sequencer like this… things that people really want/need and the rest is “what is the experience of using it” that will lead to it’s success/failure in the marketplace.

6 Likes

too many great sequencer options these days!

5 Likes

so many new pieces of hardware these days featuring those button grids :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

This thing looks really cool. Dig the design from what I can see.

1 Like

Hi All, I’m Manuel at Oxi Instruments.
Thanks for the introduction and for all the comments and feedback.

I would like to add a few points about the Oxi One:

• The intention was to create a tool that not only helped to sequence some patterns but to inspire in the creation of new melodies and musical ideas. People who has tried it loved the chord mode, the pattern randomizer and the chord triggering.
  • Chord assistant and triggering as we offer it is not currently available in any device on the market.
  • On the other hand we focused on having a very fast workflow. You have direct acces to most of the features. There are also nice performing options.
  • Lastly, we provide many connectivity options so you can express these ideas in different ways. For example controlling a full modular rig, some poly synths, assiting with your DAW, having fun with an smartphone app or a mix of them.

Clock sync works perfect even via MIDI BLE. Many hours of testing behind already.

In case if you miss something or have more questions, I’ll be glad to hear your comments.

Launching price will be under 400€ for the first backers of the Indiegogo/Kickstarter campaing.
Market price around 500€. We say under 600€ in the website to be cautious.

Thanks!

33 Likes

Sounds great, good luck with it and shall keep an eye out for the launch

1 Like

hey ignatius

totally agree with you in the workflow thing, for me is so important to not be in the need of studying how to use a new hardware device for a month to start taking advantage of it, as one of the beta testers i can tell you that is easy and intuitive to use from the first moment and the workflow is so fast, believe me when i tell you that with it you will spend more time twerking the knobs of the synth than building any of the harmonic elements of a song, plus theres no other with this amount of features… dont hesitate in asking if you want a more detailed explanation about functionality

2 Likes

Hi Manuel, great to have you here …

I already signed up to your email list and I’m very interested to learn more about your project. After reading your website I had some questions, which I couldn’t answer:

1. What is the structure of a project? The web-site uses the usual terms like “project”, “pattern”, “sequence”, “track” but seems not to define what the meaning is exactly. From using a couple of sequencers already I know that those terms can have quite different meanings for different products. It would be helpful to have a description like: "… each project consists of #sequences, each sequence can have up to #tracks, each track can have #steps … or whatever applies to your project structure … :wink:
  2. How is the number of the available tracks corresponding to the sequencer modes? Example: can we define that one track will be mono, poly, or multi but having 8 tracks available all the time … or have we to combine some mono-tracks to get one poly- or multi-track?
  3. Can we use user defined MIDI-CC commands and how many?

Thanks and keep up doing this great work :+1:

1 Like

Hi, most of your questions are already replied in this thread,
https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=240039

You can also find all the info about the modes that will be available in this release here:

Every project contains 16 patterns of each sequence (whatever the mode), so 64 patterns in total per project. There are 15 projects.

Can we use user defined MIDI-CC commands and how many?

Yes, 4 per track user defined.

Modulation CC currenly controls vibrato amount of the assigned pitch cv. You can set the modulation speed or turn it off.

2 Likes

So the “randomizer” functions are able to add Elektron tricks like probability (trigger randomization)? Can step length of tracks be randomized?