Sequencer for a polysynth?

Midibox seq

Torso T-1 looks really cool. Also the Polyend Play.

1 Like

True but thinking the OP could use it for drums for his techno music so killing two birds….

1 Like

I found the OT + Rev2 especially frustrating. Others like it. I sold my Rev2 but the frustration which lead to the sale was at least in part because of the OT.

I like threads like this for ideas. The OXI1 caught my eye. The Pyramid did too, for a while, but I strongly suspect it’s screen and UI will be too small for me. If you have good vision, it’s worth researching.

Do you know how the Digitone differs from the others? I scanned the manual but it wasn’t clear to me.

1 Like

I have found the Launchpad Pro MK3 to be fun for poly synths.

1 Like

It sounds like you don’t like the “one dimensional” nature of most sequencers. Therefore I suggest the OXI One. It can do both, modular and MIDI very well. There’s a dedicated thread in this forum.

1 Like

I’d also think towards the two Squarps - I have a friend that uses the Pyramid for melodic and chord stuff; with a Keystep into the Pyramid.

T-1 seems to me like an inspiring sequencer. I haven’t looked into how well it does chords/polyphony. But it might fit your kind of polymetric music.

8 voices of polyphony on each midi track

1 Like

My vote goes to Hapax or anything like it (Oxi One, Deluge, Polyend Play).

I like being able to see all the notes at once personally. I love the Elektron sequencer but not for chords.

Hapax also gives you things like MIDI Lfo and Envelopes which can super charge your sound design and give you so much more to work with.

2 Likes

For both modular and OB6, I’d say Oxi One for sure.

3 Likes

My vote goes to the hapax

1 Like

I find the Digitone to be pretty good at sequencing poly synths. Plus, you get a whole multitimbral polyphonic FM synth for roughly the price of the Squarp sequencers. The Squarp stuff might be nicer though :slight_smile:

Oxi One.

Done.

4 Likes

Hey there Lucas !
I’m sure you could have some fun using something such as the Polyend Play (probably Hapax as well even tho I never tried it), somethign with a proper visual feedback about what you’re doing that is not on a screen.

Check out my video on the play around 9 min when I start to talk midi:

EDIT: the Keysteps (og or 37) are also quite good for a SH-101 style sequencer as they can store polyphonic data and then you can use the sync in to advance the sequence everytime you send a trigger in :wink:

You need a midi keyboard to make polyphonic sequencing fun and easy with the OT. WIthout it it’s just tedious and not very intuitive.

The MIDI arps is the main reason I keep my OT. It’s got random arp which is fantastic. It’s great for polysynths as well - set up several tracks with random arps on the same MIDI channel to get polyphonic random arpeggitation. The OT also has 3x MIDI LFOs that you can set up to control various parameters on your OB-6. This way you can get separate LFOs for PWM and pitch modulation, for example. Separate modulation between VCO1 and 2 as well.

2 Likes

Thanks. Is it still limited to all concurrent notes needing to start on the same step?

I’ve come to realise that DAW is probably my best option in the meantime. I have a Multiclock so I should be able to circumvent any clock issues.

@woz yes I think even a small keyboard should be a nice addition; if only to play pads.

Lots of people recommending the Hapax/Pyramid
I was actually aware of those. The Squarp offerings look like big studio center pieces which honestly I don’t think I need but I’ll have a look. A friend of mine has a Pyramid so I’ll definitely try that.

@Octagonist
I feel you. Ot + poly is really not fun or intuitive in any way. Props to those who manage doing something with it.

OXI One and Torso are options that seem interesting. Quite expensive both, and they both do a lot of stuff I don’t need (but who knows maybe it would be interesting to sequence the modular with it too). I don’t know if “the grid” is something I will like but I’m interested to try. Need to look into it further.

Anyway thanks a lot for the recommendations !

Here’s my first try with it; sequenced with a max for live sequencer :

https://www.instagram.com/p/CirzimjMTK8/

1 Like

Yo! I highly recommend you testing the Torso T-1.
Think it would fit ur setup/workflow.

1 Like

If you want to avoid DAW, mpc+keyboard could be a good choice for that.

I would avoid Elektron product for midi sequencing a 6 note polysynth.
DT/DN can be not bad for doing that, but with the limit of 4 notes per track, so… you might be frustrated.
And OT has other limit on 4 note poly using the same midi track.

I thought DN does 8 notes per midi track?

4 Likes