Toraiz Squid multitrack sequencer

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

On the way to me v soon!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Curious, why the Squid and not the Oxi One? I have both, now thinking of using the Squid for drums and Oxi for synths.

Just had a good offer and wanted to try it for a long time.

1 Like

Hello,

before buying one, I have only one question : is the trigger probability per step (like elektron) ? by track? global ?

After reading the manual, I think it’s only global ? :frowning:

Thank you !
Olivier

It is a global pattern randomizer. All 16 patterns within a track has its own value, but the said value is applied to all notes/triggers within a given pattern.

1 Like

how do you use them now?
Does the squid have any advantages over the oxi one?

Anyone use this with an MPC? :slight_smile: Seems like a pretty sweet combo in theory.

2 Likes

Why not use mpc sequencer ?

Haven’t used the Squid myself so don’t know for sure. Looks cool though. Maybe GAS? :sweat_smile:

I’m using the squid with a maschine plus, it’s a great combo.
But the maschine sequencer is more basic than the mpc. I use it for changing running directions, for removing active steps in the sequences and the groove bend feature. I realy enjoy the workflow and combination of the two :+1:

2 Likes

I think that it could be very interesting, except when it comes to creating odd number of steps that MPC is not as friendly as Squid to be unconventional steping.

3 Likes

I’m seriously considering one of these versus an Octatrack MkII for sequencing a Nord Drum 3P, Virus Ti and possibly other synths. I know I’d be losing out on the OT’s three LFOs set to CC numbers, but I assume the motion recording of CC-assigned knobs helps to compensate for that a bit. Any thoughts on how the Squid and OT directly compare in actual use (external sequencing only)?

I have an OT and had a Squid. My experience with the Squid is that it wasn’t the most fluid workflow for me. The OT was much more intuitive when it came to sequencing external gear.

I did put in some time to getting to know the flow of the Squid though. I got pretty proficient at it. But at the end of the day, there’s better and more efficient sequencers out there for me. Including the OT.

You may, and will likely, have a different experience than me

2 Likes

Had an ot and now a squid. My short take is that a squid feels more like an instrument (with the pads and everything), easier to play melodies and generate new ones on the fly. Perhaps more live friendly in some ways.
The screen is much smaller, and I’ve only used it with the syntakt so far but that was pretty much plug and play.

Ot is way easier to manage projects, midi configs etc (as with all elektrons), and obviously has more depth in the programming department. And then you have the entire audio side of it

1 Like

I had both OT and Squid. I didn’t like Squid, I found the workflow very strange, not fluid at all. For example, you don"t have any options to manipulate multiple tracks at a time. Switching from a track to another can be long and is impossible while you’re changing pattern.
There is no modulation sources except the lfo for the tempo.

With OT, you have 3 LFOs per track than can modulate almost every parameters of the midi tracks, including the arp settings.

I would recommand you a Torso T1 if you want a very powerful, unique and designed for live manipulation sequencer.

1 Like

Did you have a look at the Oxi One already? I like the Squid over the Oxi One for drums, but for chords and harmonic sequencing across multiple channels the Oxi One rules, besides having also the option to dedicate one sequencer to drums. On top of that, the Oxi One is the perfect mobile sequencer companion with battery and bluetooth on board.

1 Like

I have both. I see the squid as an ideas generator but then record to either ableton or Force when I happily accident something cool.

Too clumsy as a live tool for more than one channel but still loads of flexibility (more than the OT imho) for messing with a sequence.

Ozone quick question. What are the drum pads like ? Maschine quality ?

I never owned a Maschine, but would say the pads are serviceable if not high quality though pretty small relative to Akai or NI pad boxes.

1 Like