Korg Selling Off Synths ( OPSIX, Drumlogue, etc ) Discontinued?

Very likely. I asked if it was because of the raspberry pi but he didn’t know what specific parts caused the opsix to be discontinued.

I asked this as well. Perhaps it was a cash flow issue. The sales rep mentioned that shipping costs overseas have gone up significantly this year.

These units were all in warehouses in the US. I see they still have stock with European retailers.

Yes shipping has gone up drastically, and fluctuates. Again why liquidate ?

Good job Hamuel getting this info from a source that has a lot more info than we idle speculators.

4 Likes

Yes, the decision to liquidate is still puzzling. There must be some people who can be contacted who know more info.

I played the opsix for the first time yesterday and my first impression is that it is an excellent, deep synth with a great sound and the best user interface for a FM synth I’ve used. This will probably become a FM collector’s item like the Yamaha FS1R.

3 Likes

This can happen all of a sudden because the banks all cut you off. This is a very bad sign, and usually doesn’t end well — you eat the seeds to grow new profit dumping inventory. And you’d think there would have been other signs rather than a bolt from the blue. Very sloppy bookkeeping could be another cause.

But you’d think Korg HQ would have a fair amount of cash in reserve, and you wouldn’t have to generate 2-3 million this way. They have been buying other companies and growing the corporation this year.

And you wouldn’t have to completely liquidate one product and discontinue it. So i kinda doubt this. But if this was what happened we will see more of it soon.

1 Like

Count me among the disappointed, and surprised.

The Volca FM Mk2 was just announced earlier this year. It seems unlikely that Korg would invest in developing a Mk2 Volca immediately after the OPSIX if the OPSIX was anything but a success.

1 Like

The eternal conundrum of going all-hardware, all-software, or somewhere in between.

Not knowing specifics, I do know many manufacturers use the same warehouses and it’s been in the news that they’ve been filling up with unsold products.

I’m still guessing Korg either has some new products or just that they have other products that sell better and these Opsixes are hurting future plans.

Just a guess.

2 Likes

And much easier to use than the Yamaha FS1R! That synth is rad… I would totally get one

3 Likes

I think there’s plenty more parts besides raspberry pi’s that are problematic to get at this moment. Raspberry pi itself is made from multiple elements. Supply chains are severed worldwide. Some manufacturers wait more than a year to get something. Smaller companies might even go bankrupt eventually. This autumn will be harsh.

4 Likes

opsix then might be a great demonstration why super conservative and super bland sound demos don’t always pay off.

5 Likes

Maybe Korg is just clearing out warehouse space for the Drumlogue.

3 Likes

On topic here.

???

2 Likes

A number of folks just receiving their units are reporting dead or very dim displays.

Personally, I wouldn’t read too much into the dead displays. It might be within the normal amount. It’s quite possible that there is a percentage of sold synths that have hardware issues and end up being returned, which is why a lot of retailers allow that shortly after a purchase. It’s also possible that most people are simply receiving their synth in normal condition and not posting about it – I think people with hardware issues are more likely to be vocal.

6 Likes

Would being stored in hot or humid conditions for a long period of time possibly affect the displays?

I received mine. I got a faulty unit. It makes noise until you touch a knob or button then freezes up. It freezes on its own in about 15 seconds after boot. My computer won’t recognize it long enough to update firmware before it freezes. Hopefully they saved some units for replacements. I kinda doubt it tho. I guess I’ll play with my other synths while I wait for a response from the seller. Glad I didn’t sell my digitone like I was planning to.

10 Likes

Man, I guess I dodged a bullet. I put in an order on reverb then felt bad for making an impulse purchase and cancelled my order for a refund. What a turn of events :open_mouth:, I want to see the documentary about the reasons behind the sale and the aftermath.

1 Like

It’s Korg’s ET cartridge ( for my Atari heads that remember )

5 Likes