Korg Selling Off Synths ( OPSIX, Drumlogue, etc ) Discontinued?

I received mine. I got a faulty unit. It makes noise until you touch a knob or button then freezes up. It freezes on its own in about 15 seconds after boot. My computer won’t recognize it long enough to update firmware before it freezes. Hopefully they saved some units for replacements. I kinda doubt it tho. I guess I’ll play with my other synths while I wait for a response from the seller. Glad I didn’t sell my digitone like I was planning to.

10 Likes

Man, I guess I dodged a bullet. I put in an order on reverb then felt bad for making an impulse purchase and cancelled my order for a refund. What a turn of events :open_mouth:, I want to see the documentary about the reasons behind the sale and the aftermath.

1 Like

It’s Korg’s ET cartridge ( for my Atari heads that remember )

5 Likes

We’ll be digging up the dump site years from now amazed at how many we find!

1 Like

Email received today:

Hi Reverber,

We noticed that your Opsix order from KORG USA Warehouse Outlet got canceled last week. We’re glad to see that you were fully refunded, but we know that you were looking forward to getting your hands on a new synth.

To help make your synth dreams a reality, we’ve added $50 in Reverb Credits to your account*. When you go to buy your next piece of gear, your Reverb Credits will be applied at checkout. The credits will be available until December 28.

NOTE: Some Reverb users got $100 in credit instead of $50.

9 Likes

I don’t know anything about business, but I think that’s smart! They know you had money to spend on a synth… They retain a customer and encourage more sales.

4 Likes

Strangely, I think I wish I’d ordered one now so that I couldn’t get it.

1 Like

:grinning:

OTOH you saved yourself the possible inconvenience of a broken screen or other issue reported by customers who ordered from the Korg warehouse.

That said, there have been a handful of customers who also ordered from the warehouse, yet reported their Opsixes were functional, updated to the expected OS, etc.

2 Likes

I really want to know how many actually sold and how many have problems. Mine works just fine, got it updated, etc. It sucks so many have problems.

3 Likes

Also for anybody who missed the sale, Guitar Center reportedly has it for $329 now on clearance.

4 Likes

Nice! I was just coming here to tell people on this thread and the other opsix thread about it: Korg opsix FM Synthesizer | Guitar Center

(Edit: apparently my browser freaked out)

Another edit:
A word of caution — @tentakill pointed out in another thread that the opsix is listed as a clearance item on Guitar Center, which could mean you cannot return it even if it shows up with a broken screen. It might be worth reaching out to GC to see if that’s the case if you plan on getting this synth there.

3 Likes

Another nice thing, or at least this used to be the case with GC, you could order it to be delivered to a nearby store, and then you can open the box and make sure it was working perfectly before you take it home. GC is great, having so many stores across the country.

Just try not to buy the beautiful Fender guitar too, while you’re there.

6 Likes

And if you do feel that temptation, just have that teenager over there play it for a few minutes…

1 Like

No shipping to the UK by the looks of things. Channel Islands ok but not the mainland. The cheapest I’ve seen them over here is £441

Had this game. Can confirm, it was awful. But without it I couldn’t commiserate with you.

1 Like

also not to germany. cheapest here is 533 euros. :cry:

1 Like

🥲

1 Like

I think those who live outside the US wanting an Opsix should contact dealers in their country and make them aware of the discontinuation and the US price cut. If many customers push for a price reduction, maybe one dealer will give in? If so, the rest will follow. Thomann (or was it g4m?) reduced their Opsix price last week, but it’s still a fair bit more than the US price.

3 Likes

As noted on the other thread, Guitar Center has it marked as a clearance item.

Musician’s Friend does not even though it is owned by Guitar Center. Q&A for this item says there is a 45 day return policy.

Highly recommend calling either store yourself to clarify the return policy though. Best to rely on your own experience than mine or anyone else’s on this matter.

2 Likes