Korg OPSIX

still, I don’t get why it was only in the US? :thinking:

I have covid atm so ain’t the sharpest tool in the box. please excuse if I missed that bit :sweat_smile:

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. I love the interface of the OpSix, the flexibility of the synth engine and all that, but I just don’t want a keyboard in that form factor with that built-in sequencer. Digitone 4 life.

I’ll still watch OscillatorSink’s videos though, can’t deny that’s OpSix is a great sounding unit and I get lots of sound design inspo from that channel.

2 Likes

:fist:

I actually wonder why this didnt sell (if thats why its discontinued). Feel like theres been a disire for a proper FM synth for ages. And this is proper FM made as simple as it gets right? Sounds really good too, far better than Digitone IMO (ducking :open_mouth:)

4 Likes

I think that they used the method oscillator sink demonstrates here. From this tutorial, I think you could also build a lot if an analog four in the opsix.

4 Likes

“What went wrong with marketing/business decisions” kind of talk, speculation, etc. is happening on the below thread

3 Likes

:laughing:

Oh I get it, it’s not that I don’t acknowledge that OPSix one-ups the Digitone in the filter and routing department. But the digitone is good enough for 90% of the sounds and I am like spiritually bonded with my unit. For all the remaining 10% I can get close enough with patching in Audulus or Max/MSP.

1 Like

Anyone using these for synthesizing drums? I’m still just scratching the surface of this synth, but earlier I made a couple of pretty decent kick drums and also a snare using the FM mode/engine – the snare was fun; I used feedback on one of the modulators to create noise, even though there’s a regular noise source, because it felt like using feedback would be “the FM way” to create noise :wink:

I’m looking forward to exploring the effect engine, and maybe using the comb filter for some interesting percussion synthesis. I’m also curious to see where the wave folding engine can lead for creating drums.

Does anyone have any interesting tips in this area they want to share? I bet this thing can make some massive drums

1 Like

I’m lazy so I’ll prob just buy OS’s drum pack, then reverse-engineer presets from the pack for learning purposes.

4 Likes

Hey,
the manual of the lxr-02 contains interesting structure for percussive synths. You should look into it if you are interested, it’s a great resource I think.

3 Likes

Oh man. Good luck with that. I spent a couple hours trying to load that onto my Opsix, but Korgs drivers really are awful.

Loading that soundpack has drifted into my infinite backlog, right behind beating Elden Ring(not going to happen)

My computer on Mac OS Catalina.

I had some weirdness updating to the latest OS for Wavestate. I’m guessing similar hoop-jumping may be in order.

1 Like

Definitely. I think you’re better off on a Mac(but apparently not in the clear)

Just recieved mine about three hours ago. Damn…this thing has really surprised me. As I keep digging I mind more and more crazy things. This was a labor of love by the engineers. Little things like the sounds continuing to play even when you switch patches tells me how much time and energy was put into it’s development. I know it seems silly, but I can’t tell you how many synths I’ve owned, that cost a LOT more, that don’t do that, and it seems like such a basic fearure. The modulator options, the quality of the operators, and efx. Everything is just done way better than I was expecting. The simplicity of programming, but depth availabe is actually pretty impressive. Too early to say so far, but might just be the best $350 I spent.

Couple of other things. This thing is much bigger than I was expecting. Keys feel fine. Knobs, buttons, sliders all feel pretty sturdy as do the wheels. The randomizer is :metal:.

9 Likes

Yeah, every platform has its pluses and minuses. My work machine is on Windows 10, which to me seems to be a huge improvement over earlier Windows OS’s.

2 Likes

Don’t lose hope. The Ring is destined to be yours.

3 Likes

Digitone for ever

3 Likes

Just received mine from the warehouse, bad screen out of the box.

1 Like

Sorry to hear this. I once ordered the best 50" plasma-screen TV on the market, just as it was discontinued. It arrived smashed, and I could not get a replacement, only a refund. I hope you’ll be more lucky.

More generally, though this deal wasn’t for me, I’m really enjoying hearing that people are pleased with their first encounters with the Opsix. Hopefully, everyone’s order ships, and no one else has issues…

2 Likes

Work this through with them, and don’t delay. They may have held some back, for this sort of situation, or get access in other ways. At least it looks usable in the mean time.

2 Likes