Korg OPSIX

If Korg had priced these all at $400 or $450 from the start I think it would have been a monster seller. The MSRP was just silly, totally off-base.

7 Likes

This is when a warehouse manager just asks the impossible of his warehouse workers.

• Signed former Ops manager

I couldn’t resist the $330 price either. Checking out some of the Korg sound packs. Sinevibes has some in there. The Drums and Percussion sound promising.

Might spring for the Yasuhiko Fukuda ones too - a legend worked on Bomberman and countless other projects.

https://korg.shop/sound-libraries/opsix.html?___store=english

The new presets introduced with v2.0 sound great to me, actually. Might not pick up any optional sound packs for a while.

6 Likes

any presets that come across as very organic that you might recommend?

I just ordered mine minutes ago. I don’t have it yet, so my ability to comment on its presets is very limited at this time.

The v2.0 preset demos are here. I like most of them, but not all of them.

YMMV

If they do a new version, given how they closed this version down, suggests a few things to me.

• The new version will be announced and be available fairly soon.

• It will cover much of the same territory as this discontinued version, so they couldn’t keep the present version and have another along side like with the two Minilogues.

• It will also be markedly better, so they decided to pull the plug rather than letting this one slowly sell down.

• It also seems to me probable there is a replacement, because, (a) this version wasn’t a failure ( i disagree with those that might suggest it was ), and otherwise (b) they would have just let this one sell down slowly.

The suggestion that they ran out of warehouse space, as a reason for this close out, is garbage. A company might dump stock to meet payroll ( been there ), but Korg is nowhere near that territory. And the idea that they flubbed a number on manufacture volume, or lost track of goods in shipment is ludicrous.

So Ryan, i really think you’re right — there will be an expanded follow-on, maybe a Mk2 or even something more than that !

Anyone dreaming about the replacement.

2 Likes

I really hope so. I don’t mind having the humble mk1 version. It really is a special synth. Imo, it is THE modern FM synth. There is nothing else that is as comparable saving the digitone- and even then there is an exception to be made.

As much as I despise the commenter that couldn’t look past the plastic to appreciate the offerings of this synth, I do think a heavier more luxury version of this synth would be a welcome addition.

Outside of that, I can’t think of anything outside of external inputs for fx that I could reasonably dream for a mk2.

I genuinely love this synth. The interface is as perfect as could be understood. The features were generous. The workflow was superb.

I wish I could think of a reason to own two so I could join in on the deal

6 Likes

They seem to be gone now. :frowning:

1 Like

I meant from the korg-shop, but…

May I direct you to the thred to consol each other?

4 Likes

Well, i don’t have mine yet, so can’t help ya there.

I’ll probably get the Nori Ubukata + Yasuhiko Fukuda packs because Google tells me they’re fucking legends… I’ll let y’all know if the packs are all that or if they suck.

1 Like

Ah damn, I’m going to soon end up buying all three of these aren’t I?

If they are clearing stock to release a new version, I wonder how that’ll work for the recently released VST? Not sure how I feel about that theory.

VST’s don’t take up space in warehouses.

But I feel if it were for a new version then it would be a global sale, personally. I’ve been wrong many times before.

More what I mean is, if they release an Opsix Mk2, will the VST also get that upgrade? Kind of hoping if there is an upgrade it’s mostly in the realm of hardware and whatever additional synthesis features make their way to the Mk1 and Native versions.

Ah got it - not sure about how Korg handle their VST’s, I know some folk provide free version upgrades but not all the makers do.

Would have to be a very specific hardware upgrade for it to port into the same physical box - I guess we’ll see!

Has the Opsix been popular enough for them to be looking to release a new one already? It’s only been out 5 minutes and people seem fairly happy with it.

2 Likes

I think part of me also just hopes this isn’t an EOL for the product. This sale got me to give the opsix a proper look and after messing with the native demo for hours the last few days, it’s largely the modern digital synth I’ve been wanting for ages, I just never realized it because of the branding! Kind of hoping this is maybe Korg’s attempt at a sort of viral marketing campaign. Getting it in the hands of lots of people so word spreads that it’s a more impressive synth than they let on. Then maybe some software upgrades for my nicely priced Mk1 :relaxed:

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s been a big enough seller to rush through a mk2 in such a short space of time.

Could be wrong though

Is this thread becoming the korg opsix MK2 speculation thread ?

3 Likes

Then do you think it’s just temporarily out of stock and not discontinued ?

1 Like