Korg OPSIX

Unhammy valley?

1 Like

Not with Youtube Premium.

Philosophically speaking...

Philosophically speaking, Youtube Premium is the distilled essence of all that is wrong with Google today compared to back in the early '00s. But life is too short to be mad all the time, so I fork over the cash and really enjoy the absence of ads and the ability to play youtube (music) videos on my phone while I’m running other apps.

It’s weird, I have high end synths and I would never even think anything was wrong or bad about these keys.

I know they’re not as high end as some of my other synths, but it’s almost like I have a different machine than the one some people describe. I think the keys are pretty good!

6 Likes

I also think the keys on the Wavestate/opsix are fine. I would rate them as on par with Arturia keys. I have grown to prefer mini-keys and the Yamaha Reface keys are my favorite that I’ve played.

1 Like

I’m not a keys snob by any means. I don’t know much about keys honestly.

But I’ve had no problem with the keys. The keys included helped to immerse me more deeply into the engine.

Granted, im an elektron/renoise fanboy so im not used to performing on instruments, but the keys didn’t hinder my enjoyment of the synth

5 Likes
off topic

Holy crap! The modwaves are now being sold as $850 synths on sweetwater?! Is this why the opsix was peddaled off so cheap? They couldn’t raise the price so they liquidated it?!

Argon8 is/was as expensive as the opsix, maybe cheaper at times. Has fatar i believe, or a really nice keybed anyway. Good value there

1 Like

Indeed the Modal Argon8, Argon8X, Cobalt8, and Cobalt8X all have Fatar keybeds.
Reference : Modal product pages

2 Likes

Are people still yammering on about the keybed? Jesus, come on people just play the damn thing.

7 Likes

I’m not really a keyboardist: I’m a former guitarist who loves synthesizers. I’m so bad at playing keys that sometimes i find myself counting to put chords together. I’m glad sequencers exist :wink:

I have no complaints about the opsix or about any of the Arturia keyboards I’ve used, but I’m trying to put myself in the shoes of a real keyboardist – if I went to a guitar store and tried a guitar that sounded great, but had a weird neck and the strings were way too far from the fretboard or something, I would not buy that guitar. So yeah, I understand the complaint. Granted, in the world of guitars, I can’t simply use MIDI to control that guitar from another guitar with a better fretboard.

Long story short: they should have made a desktop/module and then everyone would be happy.

2 Likes

Let’s be real, these keys ARE cheaply made shit, but they are playable, functional and their quality won’t really matter for the majority of owners.

So don’t worry. They are totally OK for that discounted price.

2 Likes

When Europe discount? 🥲

2 Likes

What do you guys think of the Opsix keyboard? Is it comparable to a Yamaha Graded Hammer Action keyboard?

9 Likes

Looks like a good value to me too, I hope the low prices are actually sustainable for Modal.

Interesting commentary on keypads and Fatar from gearspace, part of a much larger keybed thread.

1 Like

Something to keep in mind is housing and tuning per manufacturer is different even when using the same keybed. For example, I own a Digitone Keys and Moog Grandmother and the difference in action is pretty large despite both having a Fatar TP/9s.

1 Like

I received my Opsix from the Reverb sale on Saturday but only just found time to unbox it and get the OS updated (shipped with version 1.0.1). No issues with the screen on my unit, which shipped from their warehouse in NY. I don’t really know what all the fuss is about over the keyboard. I’ve owned plenty of revered synths of yore that had similarly cheap feeling keys. They’ll get the job done. The sounds this thing is capable of are amazing and I look forward to digging into it more this evening. Guess I can finally sell off my Volca FM now.

8 Likes

I had a friend’s Virus TI1 Polar before I bought the 61-key TI2. According to that Gearspace thread, the Polar has a TP/9s and the 61 has the TP/8s. My Analog Keys also has a TP/9s, but doesn’t remind me of the Virus at all. The 61 key TI1 felt very similar to the Polar. They are all good keybeds but it seems clear that Fatar offers a lot of customization options.

Good to hear, on both counts!

Mine arrives tomorrow! I have way too much gear and probably need to sell a few things but this one really does excite me, especially after using the plug-in version.

Perhaps it’s all a lesson for Korg in marketing and logistics, and they come out stronger for it.

4 Likes

That “wood to metal” is hot!

2 Likes

Can’t we do both?

2 Likes