Isn't the Analog Four the most incredible and deep instrument from Elektron so far?

Digitone is 4 tracks with 8 voices.
Analog Four is 4 tracks with 4 voices plus a CV Track and an FX track

Model Samples and Cycles has 6 tracks but only one voice per track and no polyphony.

2 Likes

sorry meant deep as in how complex it is to master. Both are fantastic and I have the OT+A4 combo and want a Rytm to complete the dark trilogy. I am done buying eurorack modules for a while so think next year a Rytm would be nice.

2 Likes

Dn is thinner sounding. Unison mode is really wonderful but then you polyphony is less. I really like unison mode on DN for bass sounds.

If the A4 had 8 or 12 voice polyphony it would be unmatched. IMHO.

2 Likes

The thing with having an Octatrack or MPC in your setup, is that your A4 or DN can be as polyphonic as you like, even on full Unison.

Hell, I multisample my Digitone on full Unison with my MPC and turn it into a polyphonic Instrument. That makes 4 note Unison chords that are 32 voice.

Digitone

Analog Four

3 Likes

Yes, good call. Counting the CV and FX tracks feels like “cheating”, but they both make sound and can be sequenced :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m pleased it’s 4 voices. The predictable headroom is a practical benefit. There’s also a known sort of idiomatic quantity as with LSDJ or composing for a chamber quartet. It makes me feel closer to the machine.

10 Likes

Hey all, my Analog Four arrived today! And I took it for a test drive right away (well, an nostalgia trip) and created sounds from scratch. First impressions:

Behringer announced Solina, but who needs that when having an A4?

I’d love to have a Roland Alpha Juno, but who needs that when having an A4?
[Edit: as a full song in a video

)

I have a TD-3 (I’ll keep it), but who needs that when having an A4?

And some mildly interesting industrial drums
(Edit - way better, a crunchy full industrial song:

)

Sorry, it’s my first day with the A4!

89 Likes

Simply brilliant :wink:

1 Like

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Bravo!
Impressive first day ! :content:

1 Like

very nice!
next one please: pulsar 23 :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hahaaaa, after DFAM :stuck_out_tongue:

(whoops, that’s loud.)

17 Likes

hahaa…craaazy :sunglasses:

where can I subscribe to your A4 sounddesign class?

4 Likes

:exploding_head:

1 Like

cant wait to see thi shappening :wink:

@Jeanne Wow that Solina patch sounds beatiful. Care to share?

2 Likes

It is a great box but I have just put my Mk1 A4 and RTYM up on eBay as I just wasn’t using them anymore…had them both from new literally when they were launched and had a lot of fun, but no point hoarding stuff that your not using….I have way to much other analog stuff and for me my new Syntakt covers my needs and keeps me in the Elektron ecosystem.

1 Like

Just received mine MKII grey for a nice 900ish deal mint. Elektron workflow from M:S and Digitone/Syntakt prooves useful as it is very easy to navigate and start making, not troubleshooting. In this sense, the upgrade path makes sense from marketing, development, and selling standpoint. It’s really good shit, my guys. I really like the sound of this machine I would not say it is cold or anything. It matches my expectation. The whole self-contained ecosystem allows for quick and fast sound design that is complex yet very accessible. The build is great. I/O decent. The sound quality I would say very good. The internal FX is the same as on DN and to an extent ST… they give it a vibe. Waveform and OSC page is loaded. It feels like all the pages are loaded. There is so much to hook up and set up, make it interact with each other, and also write it down into the seq. to shape it further in unexpecting ways. If there is one company that is about innovation and great design like Apple is for computers. Then Elektron means that in the music industry. It is a feat of the craft of what is the human race able to achieve and do… a wonderful outer dimension sound analog box in a small, convenient, rugged package with a sound engine that really makes you smile the moment you turn it on for the first time. ARP is absolutely GREAT. I can imagine this in a live setting instead of going for Juno or something along those lines. The square wave actually sounds very great, it has it’s unique flavor.

Also it comes down to situation, preference and price. But I would say go for MKII. It feels like Macbook Pro when it was first released, compared to let’s say a Powerbook. More refined and more ease of use which really speeds it up and makes you make music instead of navigating pages.

5th subs and fine tuning with main OSC is so awesome, lol.

3 Likes

MK2 Grey and Black editions same thing yeah? Was looking at A4 Keys and wondering if i should look out for a MK2 instead?

1 Like

Yeah same thing and different price. I like it and the LED stuff is actually pretty good, comparable to DN/ST. Gaming buttons on the machine are awesome as well. OLED display makes a huge difference to begin with when really playing this machine. These machines are about actually tweaking and playing them live with rec. on and coming up with unique combos that you cannot get elsewhere as I see it with a really huge studio full of vintage, modern and anything in between.

I was doing some research too. So yeah. Black MKII was roughly at 1,3-1,5k mint. I got a mint grey one for a price of a MKI. I believe it’s worth the extra cash even if you would pay up. It will save you a lot of FN + ? and the OLED makes making music life really nice. :-).

1 Like

Mk2 would be great, but there’s something I love about the more compact mk1 design. Plus they’re so cheap these days, I got mine for $800AUD, a steal really.

4 Likes

You think it’s safe to pick up a mk1 in late 2022? They are incredibly cheap these days, just worry* about parts.