How "musical" is the A4?

No, not at all. I’m fairly keen on determining a character for them. My jibe was more about the definition for “musical” (or lack of it). I feel there’s an implied “sweeter sounds make better music” behind your original question, but I’m in the John Cage & David Byrne camp “silence and setting are music too”.

I’m lucky, I have some great synths:

• Matriarch has such a joyful vibe; it’s like salted caramel - you just want more of it. It’s so striking I usually play it by itself as a mediation. I’ll work on bringing it into tracks more next year
  • Syntrx is darker, fizzier, grainier; the spring gives it a physicality. I currently use it more for “features” because its matrix mixer lets me integrate external FX, and the trigger and joystick let me play it without keys or a sequencer in my drone project. In that setting, the fact it’s not as bright and shiny as the others helps it fit with the other instruments in the project
  • MS-20 is unruly and muscular, scratchy and intense
  • Juno 106 is bright, confident, comfortable
  • A4 is more neutral . I use it as my main melodic and harmonic composition tool. A lot of demos show it off to be more interesting than I can make it :smiley:

I wonder if a better framing for your question would be more like “which character synth do you like the most, and why”… or “what do you use each synth for?” etc.

9 Likes

Yes I would say “more musical” kind of feels like saying “better” which is why I said it doesn’t.

I think some people want their synth of choice to be all things to all men but I think that is a negative not a plus point.

Are darker sounding synths less musical? :thinking: Who knows but they have their place. Is the A4 a dark synth? It’s all relative.

For me the A4’s character matters less than a more ‘normal’ synth since its strength lies in its insane programmability possibilities. That’s also why it’s lower polyphony matter less also. Usually I would be asking for at least 6 voices on a polysynth but this is a different animal.

1 Like

Beside the “features/groovebox” aspect of the A4, I guess it’s musicality really begins with gainstaging. Writing quick or refined loops, with sound design art, performance tortures, void reverbs on top, leads by itself to big/dull noise. But when matching fine levels on the mixer page, it sings and it grooves and scream to be structured along différent patterns, and to be saved and played again and again.

2 Likes

Yeah Neutral is kind of where I would place the A4. When I first got it I almost felt disappointed by the sound. It could easily be mistaken for a VA synth at first. But when you start implementing the Slide and Glide trigs and start moving everything then you can really hear where the analog kicks in. There’s just something inherently analog to me once you start modulating stuff.

5 Likes

…most “musical” truu analog but digitally supertight mirical controlled 4 individual mono synth at once in one interactive groove as groove and breath can plus fx alive box, i’ve ever touched…

and for the 1000+ times, nope, there is no such thing as a difference in naked sound essentials between mk1 and mk2…

3 Likes

How musical is the A4? Not musical at all

3 Likes

Deep and musical are two different things, maybe even opposing things based on more intelligent discussion above.

1 Like

You misspelled “parochial.”

1 Like

Nope just the opposite. I think some synths are more musical than others, I did point out this does not mean they are better but you got defensive anyways.

The best sounding synth I own (by far) is not my most musical (Super 6).

I don’t think any of my instruments are any more or less musical than others. Just different.

3 Likes

Can’t tell what is more “musical” until we define what “musical” means, beyond the difference between
bright and dark, of which any decent synth can be both, so I’m a little lost as to what we’re actually talking about.

Like, my Polivoks has lovely bright sawtooth oscillators, but it’s fucking superb at dark, moody and industrial sounds and is a piece of piss to use. Does that make it more or less musical than something else? I don’t know.

Most of my mission, musically (and not necessarily consciously) seems to have been to take nice musical instruments and make horrible unmusical noise with them. So maybe synths aren’t musical in any measurable way at all, maybe it’s the user, and, if that’s the case, then musicality is just too subjective a term to even begin to a apply value to it.

Probably.

7 Likes

the A4’s natural character leans to a bright, reedy signature. It can make beautiful metallic sounds like cymbals / hats and stuff with sharp transients with its super fast envelopes. Not to say it doesn’t have bass, the filter can supply tons of it, combined with those quick envelops it can spit out big massive kicks too. That said, the easier things to achieve on the machine are going to be bright and brassy. It has tons of harmonic complexity and loves to be paired with thick, drifty mono synths like a Moog.

To me, those timbres that the A4 excels at are vital and give my music tons of energy. Is that musical? To me it is. It has very tight and precise tuning with its DCOs so a lot of people take issue with its precision and claim it sounds digital. You being a Roland fan, should have no issue with that considering that the main characteristic of the Junos / JX synths were their tight and solid DCOs.

4 Likes

Well said.

Musicality? Who knows really. That certain something, a balance of…

Vibrancy? Range? Brightness? Harmonics? Colour?

Would you say a grand piano is more musical than a felt piano?

Not more musical, just different.
However I do think in these terms when talking about music production tools.

Some mixing tools for example are more musical imo than others. Meaning they are more expressive and pleasing and less engineer-oriented. Go figure. :slight_smile:

Which of these fruits are fruitier and why?

Mango
Apple
Grapes
Oranges

13 Likes

Mango. It has the most textures flavour wise.

1 Like

I agree firmly. I’m lucky I could afford a bunch of really special monos a while ago, and even luckier to get my 106 when they were much cheaper (because I’d probably get a Sequential or a DNK instead). I get that other people may have a range of reasons to want just one “all things to all tracks” type synth.

1 Like

I would say that most of these qualities are fairly ephemeral and subjective and more a result of synth settings and sound design and can apply (or not apply) to about 90% of gear depending on how it is used and by whom.

Nope.

Different tools for different needs.

I could see an argument that a grand piano is more musical than a prepared piano, but then we’d be getting into subjective discussions about taste and modernism that would take us a pretty long way from trying to measure the A4’s musicalityness.

3 Likes

Durian is the most powerful fruit.

Beans are the most musical fruit.

6 Likes