Analogue 4 mk2 newbie

Most has been straight forward so far,

One thing I woukd like to do…once I get more familiar

Is try control the sperate track mutes whilst synced to my akai force … or even pattern program changes …

So I can arrange the analogue with other parts on the akai

2 Likes

One thing I haven’t quite understood is the access to the + drive , I only seen sounds in the pool [presets]…bank A

Not sure if that’s because there isn’t anything stored on the +drive as yet …

When choosing Sounds on the +Drive, you can access different Banks through the sequencer trig buttons.
E.g. trig 16 is Bank P.

Btw Bank P is the one I use for my most used Sounds. When beginning a new project, I load this Bank into the Sound pool to make the Sounds available for Sound locks.

3 Likes

I’ll will have check

So far I have only seen bank A available… with sounds… rest are empty

it might because there isn’t any sounds in the other banks as yet …

The amount of modulation sources is impressive

1 Like

You’ll be discovering envelopes for six months

4 Likes

Sometimes I’m in awe of the Elektron designers, and what they decide to include for modulation. eg. on the Analog Four you can modulate the Accent level with the LFOs (iirc). That’s so cool!

3 Likes

The A4 has a bunch of hidden sweet spots. Sometimes it takes a while to find em, but when you do it’s really rewarding.

3 Likes

Oscillator shape and filter drive give you the color of your sound.
Shape variable filter gives you the character
Go easy on modulations, as it can get out of control quickly.
If you’re using chorus, I wouldn’t use less than 100 on the send.
It’s not just about the synth. The sequencer is a big part of the instrument

5 Likes

Oh. Yes, of course.
Then craft a kick and save it in the +Drive as sound P001.

There are a lot of free sound packs available through Elektron. And has been written here recently, the Gutnishy pack breaks some new ground.

When I first got into A4 and went through the preset sequences, I took notes of all the different ones I wanted to go back and research how they were made.

This thread is full of great tips and joy.

Just remember to save your kits, and be mindful of which kits are linked to which patterns.

5 Likes

I might buy some of the addon packs :slight_smile: they are very reasonably priced

Before buying, you have a lot to explore with free A4 soundpacks on elektron.se!

2 Likes

regarding the modulation sources - its pretty wild considering there are available on FX and CV too. Its like a modular in box

1 Like

I’ve often though about ditching my modular set up in favour of a few elektron devices and maybe a couple of other desktop bits – with my Akai force as a main sequencer

1 Like

Hi all! I found this thread and decided to share here. I have reached the point where I know the sound I like and the style of music that pulls me to create, but I think I may have some to of the wrong tools for me. So, I am going to pull the trigger on an A4 MKII. I have been messing around w/ a digitakt, Erica Synths Bassline DB-01 and Korg minilogue XD the last year or so. Love my XD, but the the Digitakt and DB-01 are no longer doing it for me and the sounds that I gravitate towards. I have come to realize that the digitakt is a great box. It’s just not the box for me. The DB-01 was my first foray into the analog world, but not the sound I am gravitating to. I have found that ambient and dub are what get me going. I love layering sequences and just making shit up that sounds good. I enjoy the elektron workflow immensely. I know the A4 is a different beast, but I am willing to put in the time. Thanks for listening to my rant and I appreciate yall!

1 Like

That’s funny because the A4II is the reason I even started looking at modular. Having a way to sequence and control a limitless sound design platform using my favorite sound design groovebox seems like the best combo out there.

1 Like

The goal for enjoying the A4 is to focus on the strengths and avoid trying to turn it into a sequenced Prophet 5. While it is okay with 4 note polyphony pads that is not where you find the diamonds. The sequencer is really deep and you can produce monophonic lines that compete with modular system. As a polyphonic analog it is expensive. As 4 amazing monophonic sequenced sources in one box, it is a major force for a good price. Now, it does have its sound and will not compete with something like the Noise Engineering Basimilus Iteritas Alter, but it does earn a place in your setup.

2 Likes

Get decent drum presets (there are free ones on Elektron.se)…sequence them on 1 track using sound locks…be impressed by how much a single voice can achieve and add other stuff…then be amazed how nice everything on the A4 gels together.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like