Digitone feature requests!

Since introduction of KITs to DT2…

Could it be added to DN? 64 steps is too short for looong intricate sounds that Digitone is capable of

4 Likes

At this point, I just want new filters and more access to harmonics-per-operator and moving some keytracking options over into knob-twiddling land and not buried in menu diving. Maybe also add the ability to use FILL in song mode as a playlist option (Fill on/off)…unless it’s already there and I am not understanding it.

5 Likes

How many of you think that a Digitone MKII is next?

1 Like

you mean Tonverk? yeah sure, pretty positive they didn’t trademark it for nothing :slight_smile:
they might’ve done it before but I do think Tonverk will see daylight so it might be as well instead of DN2

1 Like

Oh? Was that trademarked name leaked?

yep

[TOTALLY SPECULATING] I think they’re going to pound the new framework rather keep updating the current line, they brought it so far, time for the next big thing, if I had to make a guess I’d say DT2 was the test how it will work, and made more sense to do it with DT then DN, samples require more, storage, ram, etc., so updating DT was logical really and it was a real hit, DN on the other hand can be a new device altogether, something between the keys and the digi, something with performance, maybe even small keybed, something like that, so I think they’ll skip making DN2 as another digi box and go for Tonverk directly.

2 Likes

I would slay for this on DN. I imagine that, if a DN successor is in the works, kits would be part of the equation.

1 Like

Im really cooling off to idea of more sound shaping options, as the more time I spend with the machine, the more its proving to be sufficient for the music I enjoy making (and more).
Sure having a deeper engine would be amazing, but more time spent on sound design is less time spent with the sequencer.
I would go as far as to say that the fun balance between sound design : arrangement is sqewed more towards sound design at the moment. (as i often find myself just making and playing patches)

Thus my main wishes for the future are about utility and fluidity of the sequencer.

kits… Im not sure that creating kits will be faster than to copy sounds around, since theres only 4 tracks to take care of, and managing kits would be more of a distraction.

However, biggest slowdown for me right now is that sound pool is essentially static, aka BAKED.
So I feel like I have to know exactly what I want to make and how it should sound, before actually making anything (throughout whole project no less, which is HUGE). Thats is a lot of pressure and planning, it distracts from creativity, and generally subtracts from the most fun part about DN, how dynamic and unpredictable it can be.

A quick way to alter sound pool patches like this is still my top priority, since I love using DN standalone, and utilize sound locks heavily.

After that is only god ARP

I believe Digitone II is next yes. Tonverk may come first but I’m sure we’ll see a DN2. They are difinetly two different products and Tonverk will not replace DN2. I just hope we won’t have to wait a year.

1 Like

I remember there was a SYNTONE also thread / trademark ? was it abandoned?

I doubt DN will get any further improvements. TONVERK will get some of what we want.

There never was a Syntone trademark, it was purely speculation. Looks like it’ll be Tonverk now.

Logically I don’t think this makes sense since we now have a brand new much improved Digitakt II. DN2 will benefit much from getting 128 steps, page looping and other DT2 features that will make sense for DN along with new algorithms/machines/Harm wavetables. 8 tracks and higher polyphony would be fantastic though there’s currently no room for it but you never know.
Tonverk will probably be a synth and surely not in Digi format.

For long evolving sounds you don’t need more steps, you need each step to occupy more time and you can already do that by changing the time scale.

That works only if you use evenly spaced sounds, if you want to mix some 1/8s and 1/16 with 1/2 you need more resolution – here 64 steps start to be limiting factor.

Possible solution is pattern chains/song mode but absence of kits make it impossible to evolve sounds over a pattern change – at the start of a next pattern sounds reset to what was saved in it before.

To be honest, I suspect Digitone is one of the least beloved boxes in the eyes of Elektron.

I feel it didn’t sell that well. Let’s face it, it has a very nerdy synthesis method and it is quite limited. It is quite temperamental. It’s not for everyone.

There’s very little chance we’ll see DN2. Let’s hope they’ll release one last QoL update for the existing unit though.

2 Likes

A little plea…

Can we please reserve this thread to feature requests for the current Digitone, and speculate on the DN2 in the «What’s next for Elektron» thread?

5 Likes

There’s nothing to speculate here. There were only a handful of posts about the future of this device. In fact, there are not that many feature requests either. The same ones keep repeating every few months. MIDI arp, retrigs, more voices, pretty much all.

Personally ( matter of taste ) I believe the Digitone sound much better than Syntakt, don’t get me wrong …Syntakt has his own place for sure but this machine is different and a good update would really help, like a KIT option…

5 Likes

I’d love to get euclidean sequencer on a firmware update.

4 Likes