Destructive looping with Octatrack

Wasn’t it the case that insert effects (especially filter and lofi) - even at neutral settings degrade the audio over time and send fx (delay, reverb…) don’t.

Of course, you are right here. When just internally overdubbing this will not happen. My looping setups almost always involve some external analog gear as send effects, but of course that’s just me and my setups.

1 Like

With FX set to None?
Wrong settings then.
With my method it gets very slowly lower.
I’m making a test, with 16/128 VOL increase with an lfo.
Since 10mn, the sound didn’t change noticeably : I’m checking it with the same sample out of phase.

1 Like

Good call, I’m fairly sure I had time stretching still enabled even though it was at a neutral setting. There are quite a few details to take into account to make this work!

1 Like

So @ilmai you’re not interested in a working solution? :sketchy:
Work with 1 pattern, 32 step loop, which can be doubled with scale 1/2.

1 Like

I didn’t quite get what the benefit of this was compared to just using a single record buffer?

@ilmai That way you’re totally free to mangle the loop!
With 1 recorder, the playback is stopped if you pitch up, reverse or timestrech it.

With 2 recorders, once recorded by recorder 1, you can mangle recording 1, reverse, pitch, anything, while recording it by the recorder 2. Then the recording 2 is played, and can be mangled freely while recording it by the recorder 1.
Etc.

Recorder 2 records buffer 1
Recorder 1 records buffer 2

4 Likes

I just recorded a 1 bar loop with a sine with a recorder recording CUE continously during 20 mn, recording being sent to CUE. It gets progressively noisy with artifacts, but I think it’s still usable. 600 passes!

Of course it’s better with less passes!

3 Likes

Would love to hear these artifacts - easy for you to record?

Slow roasted audio :grin:

See also (related): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVy9ABT5-iY

1 Like

Artifacts on the sine are not really interesting.

I heard it was possible to record with the OT…:thinking:

Exemple of Destructive loop. beware, it goes crazy. :grimacing:

6 Likes

haha, I think you got a high score in galaga at about 1:50

huge smile on my face - long live the OT

4 Likes

Nice.
And again I am reminded of my early realisation with octatrack.

It really does not matter at all what the source material is. You can literally transform any source, into anything you can imagine with OT.

4 Likes

:smile: Yes! I was playing the recording with the chromatic mode, but I forgot to press Function to avoid to retrigger the recording. So it stopped to record. Had to play like crazy to feed the loop again. :pl:

2 Likes

Destructive loops with 8 strings guitar + 3 drums sounds. Lower CUE send, for loop decay.

With Timestretch (hence pitch shift)

Without Timestretch (pitch, wilder)

I’m hesitating between with or without timestretch, maybe both, on 2 tracks.

8 Likes

You’re definitely the brainiac wizard of OT.
Both good and evil side.

This is brilliant!

And as I told you earlier, I prefer timestretch on on your sound. It add some kind of digital weirdness that really fits the sound.

2 Likes

Yep didn’t mean anything to do with gain. It was some time ago but I chose a short sample like a 909 snare and made it alternate between two recorders at a quick pace. I don’t have th time now to dig out the OT but it might be a way to get lofi snare sounds :smile: Of course with the filter in there it will degrade much faster but also in a different flavor IIRC

I’m going to try this, probably tonight. Thanks! Love a bit of destructive looping :slight_smile:

:coffee: One pattern suffice.
Ex with 2 bars looping (4 bars with 1/2 scale, increase RLEN to 64)

Pattern length = 64
Track 1 :
Flex Recording 1, trig on step 1
Recording 2 on step 32 (sample lock, trig + level to set it)

Recorder 1
RLEN = 32, rec trig step 32, SRC3=CUE

Recorder 2
RLEN = 32, rec trig step 1, SRC3=CUE

Activate CUE (CUE + TRACK or Studio mode)

(For an even more stable volume I added +20/127 on VOL with lfo designer designed with 1 max, depth 20, but it works without, loosing level slowly).

12 Likes

Cool stuff mate!

2 Likes

Sample locking the other recorder buffer :exploding_head: - I have definitely never thought of that.

l o l

2 Likes