The Guitar Thread

Compressor : David Gilmour, at around 2mn.
I read about Dynacomp, and Boss CS2.

Funky stuff

I use a compressor on my Hx Stomp (Deluxe Comp), and Octatrack’s compressor.

High attack time boost the transients…

3 Likes

Comp can be the missing link for some passive pups players. Can bring a rig to life with it at the front of the fx chain.

1 Like

I use a DOD milkbox compressor and sometimes a DBX over-easy.
I usually play without a pick so a little bit of compression is great for dynamics and adding a little brightness on the attack.
My other main use is to ham fist the settings and eliminate all dynamic variation for use with pedals that require accurate tracking like pitch shifters, synth pedals, etc. That combined with a single coil neck position pickup yields best results.

2 Likes

Do you happen to have any videos or recordings? You are definitely one of our resident OT experts, and I’d love to see how you are integrating guitar/bass into it from a workflow perspective. I’ve got the guitar -> amp sim -> OT going, but I’m curious what role your OT plays in that scenario.

Do you use pickup machines? Flex machines? A MIDI foot controller?

When creating a track, what is your typical flow? Make some drums on OT, record a loop, repeat for the next pattern?

Sorry for the thousand questions, I’m just impressed by your knowledge, and think you might have some insights that will help me better use a very similar setup to you.

2 Likes

yes octalord, pls tell us your secrets @sezare56

1 Like

No workflow yet! Still experimenting.
Sometimes I use OT as a multitrack recorder, with one shot rec trigs, but ideally I’d use my big foot controllers (MFC10 and FC200).

I recently noticed that it was easy to swap a Pickup overdub recording to a Flex, even with previously plocked parameters. So I’d use Pickups in that scenario only I think. Lower GAIN for recording decay is interesting too.

With Flex it’s also possible to overdub with mangling and decay.

Destructive looping with Octatrack - #45 by sezare56

I also process incoming audio with many rec trigs in order to process small recordings on the fly.
Exemples I already posted here too, incoming guitar only through Analog Heat as drive, no samples. Flex tracks to process recordings as drums, bass, synth…with pitch, amp, fx.

It’s possible to resample that and play it simply with a pattern change.

Hoping to make a decent demo one day…

11 Likes

This is really impressive, thank you for sharing! Going to have to get some real practice in. That is incredible that you prepare a bunch of these with just OT p-locks and rec trigs and then play live. Basically makes the OT some sort of weird black box function that takes guitar in, and outputs a full track!

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I have a new power supply incoming so will be able to use the compressor soon :slight_smile: Guess I’ll just experiment with some subtle settings first. Stoked to try it with some tapping as well

1 Like

You’ll definitely like it for tapping. Same benefits that folks were mentioning with fingerstyle playing.

I’d put compressor on any electric guitar style I think. :content:
Always first on the chain for me.
Maybe not after guitar volume / swell fx.

Any example of 2 compressors in fx chains?
Maybe one at first and one last as limiter?

1 Like

Just over a year later, Melanie finally has a course on Pickup Music. She’d been offering private lessons via video conferencing but I didn’t go for that, because I feel like I need to have something specific to ask the teacher before private lessons can be justified. It’s just my personal view that if I go to her or any other teacher for a one-on-one lesson, it should be because there’s something that I just can’t figure out on my own, after repeated attempts at analysis.

5 Likes

Wow, nice! Will look into it. I only have a classical guitar in Crete though. Thx gor the update!

Did you have the trem-lock button engaged :rofl: No seriously, I’ve done that more than once and been like WTF?
I really have to swap the trem socket/arm on my mk1 AmProJazzmaster for the socket type. I’ve now threaded two of the damn things.

I’ll check when I get back home.

My impression from the instructions provided with the guitar was there was no quick solution to get the whammy to pull up more. I just remember reading them then concluding “nah, not worth the effort”

The lock button is best left OFF, in my opinion. Mostly because it’s a bother to get everything in the right spot to be able to lock it accurately at the right spot.
Anyway, just pulled my jazz out for a look and remembered that one of the main limitations to pulling the trem up is the string bobs! They get jammed between the body and moving assembly.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up about the trem lock button! You were right, it was stopping the trem from pulling up. Now I can pull up a whole step.

I guess Leo F. intended this button for make string changes easier or something - assuming what I read wasn’t fake news. I dunno, I’ll live with the button disengaged for a while. I’ll just flip it back if the thing starts going wildly out of tune more often than it did before.

This reminds me, I need to get one of those smaller screwdrivers so I can lower the bridge pickup. The V-Mod2 pickups are plenty loud - there’s no reason for the bridge PU to be as close to the strings as it is right now. The sustain is ok at present but I’m sure it’ll be better with the PU lowered.

1 Like

Leaving the lock in off position won’t affect the tuning at all. You’re correct, it’s for keeping the rest of the strings in tune if one breaks. Has absolutely nothing to do with tuning stability related to the trem.

Besides a refret and no og case, this is my all original 1960 strat.

18 Likes

Thread winner…

2 Likes

My report so far: Tuning stability seems the same as it was before I disengaged the trem lock. Meaning, it goes a little out of tune after some playing time, at roughly the same rate all my other guitars go out of tune, due to neck wood responding to temperature changes.

Except the Eric Johnson Thinline Strat. After I tune it, it pretty much stays in tune until I put it away. Some people say its because of the thick baseball-bat quartersawn neck. I once read through a thread discussing quarter sawn vs. flat sawn necks which was amusing as guys argued against actual luthiers who said there’s no difference if you know how to dry wood properly.