Octatrack and Guitar

Exactly what I used mine for, guitar to MPC/OT till I upped my preamp game. I’d keep it, nothing wrong with a cheap small preamp to help in a pinch.

True. Especially when I want to use a condenser mic for acoustic guitar or ukulele and don’t want to mess with the audio interface.

1 Like

i have a very basic question:

seem like the obvious use case is sample mangling… but the OT works as just a tracker, right?

i’d like to add guitar & bass to my electro, not thing too exotic, and i’m really turned off by daws. multiple bar parts, not necessarily looping.

is OT good for this or will it frustrate me?

i’m thinking i’d like to record (possibly live via trigs) with the hx stomp in the fx loop. so sample clean then possibly bounce dirty back to another buffer (i think this is what they are called). would this work?

thanks!

I just picked up a neve preamp, and against all popular opinion, it’s going straight into my octatrack for bass guitar DI :sunglasses:

1 Like

Absolutely possible. It will only be an enjoyable process once you are very comfortable with how record trigs, record buffers, saving samples etc work, though. That can take a while.

3 Likes

Exactly as @brisket mentioned.

Compared to a DAW, the Octatrack is a bit cumbersome when you want to lay down a riff and need eg. seven takes – but I used it exclusively for this purpose last year. It works.

You need to understand the maximum step length of the specific recording you want to record, then set the recording trig, arm the track, and you’re ready to go.

I think you only learn this by doing it. If I could do it, so can you :slight_smile:

Be careful with how you use the word “tracker” here. The experience of using an OT is not the same as using a Polyend Tracker or M8 Tracker, both of which are considered “trackers”.

People here have a fairly specific understanding of what a “tracker” is. It’s like asking people about “guitars” but what you really had in your mind was a ukulele

Both!
It can be frustrating at first as a basic looper, especially if you want to loop with unusual length, without previously fixed length.

It’s a super recorder : 8 recorders with different sources (A/B/C/D - Tracks 1-8 - MAIN - CUE)
Recordings can be played on any track, any step (different recordings on 1 track possible).

Recordings can be mangled on the fly, even pitch up / reverse if delayed. They can be sliced are randomed. Possible to freeze audio with timestretch. Possible to resample with feedback, pitch up.

Max recording time : 8m28s (with empty RAM)
Stereo only.

Destructive loop with 8 strings guitar + 3 drums sounds.

10 Likes

This is lovely! I’m not sure it could’ve been created outside of the Octatrack. Thanks! <3

1 Like

This is fantastic

1 Like

I’d like to see more live performances of an OT with a guitar.

I repost these ones:

Of course there’s @AldoVino:

Seems this guy is using it as well:

In some cases, it is hard to say what’s the role of the OT.
If you have any idea/link, i am hungry :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve dusted off my old bass guitar, plugged it in my OT and… FUCK YEAAAAAAH IT WORKS! Sound is a bit meh, I have to crank input gain to the max, but my bass is alive and kickin’, running through bit reduction and delay.

Oh the possibilities… Shitty post-punk one man band, here I come!

4 Likes

There is also VOL, and I recommend compressor as first FX, unless you push hard LOFI or Filter distortion ! :content:

6 Likes

I’ll try that!

The jack I was using must be busted, I had a nasty buzz going on in the background…

I have an Art Tube MP Studio V3 (blue), but no love for it (only eq presets). I recently bought a 2U Art Pro Channel II, for vocals. Should be nice for bass too.

1 Like

I used to own the Pro Channel. Really good for the money. They also have a tube compressor that sounds pretty good. Question @sezare56: So if I’m just monitoring and haven’t started sampling yet, the VOL control in the Amp section will increase the gain? I thought that was for after you have the sample in the buffer. If I can get more gain with that, I’ll be very happy.

1 Like

With Pickups, REC SETUP 2 AB/CD ? Unfortunately it seems after AMP page.

It’s possible to monitor with Flex, including Amp page while recording, or recording constantly with rec trigs. Change pattern to stop recording (no rec trigs).

I would be using Flex. Thanks!

hey there! very interesting sounds!!

You had a flex track with trigless trigs doing all the modulation here? LFO’s pitching up, long delay tempos?

The destructive part comes from a pickup machine with the gain lower than middle right? But a pickup machine alows you to place trigs in the sequencer?
Thats what Im not getting… How to you get that all that, what seems to me, trigless trigs activity but with a pickup machine due to gain < to middle?

Or your loop comes from a neighbour machine delay FX with high tempo and feedback?

More information in original thread…