Octatrack for digital loop destruction (Challenge?)

Maybe the word “challenge” is quite a misfit, because it implies a race to win. It was more meant in the sense of “challenge yourself (if you want)”.

1 Like

thats the only person i want to “win” against…
me.
he sucks and i want to beat him.
emerge victorious, right?

1 Like

Just as an inspiration (analog loop destruction in use):

1 Like

Hainbachs video is pretty cool.

I’m switching on my OT, lets see what we can do.

1 Like

fuck. this made me weep.
thank you.
made me want to make a music out of the voices in my head that speak negatively about me.
which we all share to some extent…
right?

2 Likes

@tnussb I already done it in another thread. :pl:

Destructive loops with 8 strings guitar + 3 drums sounds. Lower CUE send, for loop decay.

With Timestretch (hence pitch shift)

7 Likes

holy moley

Why I haven’t used search in the first place? It’s so obvious that you’ve already done it … :roll_eyes: :rofl:

(alternating with 2 rec buffers … exactly as I thought)

4 Likes

I just spent an hour curiously playing with this.
Each track recorder records the track before it. Flex play their own recorders
Start with a one bar sample to get it going. Solo the track.
Arm record.
now solo the next track, while that is happening swap the sample on Flex1 to play recorder 1.

Arm record on the next track. Then solo that track once the new loop is sampled, repeat ad destructum.

Each track as a bit of Bit riduction, a bit of filter movement, and a slow LFO to pitch.

Interesting to hear the loop slowly degrade into a bass nightmare of low frequency static, I thought I was damaging my speakers at some point… go easy!

will return to this idea for sure. Long form digital audio grime… very long form

4 Likes

regardless of who came first…
the great idea that i took from this is to record myself saying all the things that i feel are my worst properties.
(thats pretty fucking heavy)
record that onto a TR on OT and set some recBuffs up to constantly rec and re-rec over and over and over these voices until they are destroyed by resampling/effects/ etc, but mostly by repetition and degradation…
i feel like this is a very powerful exercise in identifying your negative self and exposing it to the harsh light of repetitive sampling, like a vampire to the rays of the sun.
and then sample that shit.
and make a tune. or a dirge.
these feelings run through us very deeply, i dont care who you are…so setting them free may take some letting go. of a lot of things.
blessings.

5 Likes

I’m glad that I finally sat down for a few hours and dug into feedback flex machines and other Octatrack digital degredation techniques.

It was really fun, really glad I came across this topic! :upside_down_face:
I’ve briefly played around with that stuff before, but never to that extend.

5 Likes

I’m really jealous, you know? :rofl:

Can’t wait to reunite with my darling … damn lockdown.

1 Like

I might post the results of this mornings experiment later. After 2 hours I arrived at something quite unexpected.

2 Likes

In this session I started with a single drum break.
I then cycle through each track on the OT, resampling the track before it. Each pass adds more bit reduction using the LOFI on FX1.

no other FX or manipulations were added.

After about 2 hours, the signal of course reached critical levels, and was almost gone completely, so I started playing with the RATE and AM MOD. This was captured by the eightfold resampling path.

A new loop presented itself, completely unrecognisable from the original. I plugged in my Field recorder and captured the last few minutes.

9 Likes

Thats really cool. Coming from a drum sample thats pretty awesome.
good call on sampling that… thats food for the machine, for sure…

I feel like i should comment on my project, after all those bold posts before.

i had to hit the ejector button on that one.
My musical creation process with these machines is not fast, by any stretch of the imagination, so listening to the same loop over and over and over is a big part of it. Generally, I love it, its a hypnotic process where i feel things and think about stuff and what not…
BUT, listening to loops of myself saying horrible things about myself ( i went into the darkest corner of my yard and muttered into a DR-05X in the rain for close to an hour after drinking several quarts of wine :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:) , well, it took a toll…
i didnt get to see the sun.
all i got was the darkness and it was like being on a frozen lake where the the ice was thin, the water was deep and dark and went alllll the way down…and all i could hear was the ice making noises close to breaking.
so.
while i " get " my idea, it actually damaged my mental health trying to get there.
i couldnt recommend the process to anybody.
the OT is a powerful tool. I can get very hypnotized (sic) by it.
be careful about what you hypnotize yourself with.

I will try something else, but def had to abandon that. it made me feel like the worlds worst person/father/set of lungs/ waste of oxygen.
im on the other side now.

2 Likes

oddly enough i had a dream afterwards where @sezare56 was in it.
we were moving furniture, moving households, and somewhere in that we witnessed an armed robbery. i looked over and it was @sezare56 's current avatar on a ody looking at me and shrugging.
strange.

Beautiful! Knowing how this came to be makes it extra special but I would totally listen to stuff like this in its own right. (If it was my stuff, maybe layer it with a few sparse notes from the piano thru a shitty mic —> and call it a track.)

1 Like

Thanks for the compliment :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah awesome! This is how I made it work earlier this year:

Basically a flex track buffer playing and recording itself over and over again, each time losing some detail slowly! (Watch out for your ears with feedback getting out of control though)

1 Like

Ok, here I am, after listening to the same piano loop of mine for two hours. Well, not quite the same, of course it degraded but maybe I was expecting more of a surprise effect. I did apply some delay around the one-hour mark which gave some of the coolest moments musically. All in all, a cathartic experience.

Recorded the whole thing into Logic. Also resampled bits for further testing. Not going to start from scratch with the same original loop any time soon. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes