Octatrack live recorder looping

Hi! I have question to OT users. I started to use flex machines playing record buffers. I know how to trigger recording and playing of incoming audio. Let’s say I record 16 step loops. Is there possibility not to erase whole buffer everytime recording starts on step 1? I would rather like buffer to be updated continuously as the recording goes. Bit like overdubbing, but with complete erasure of the old signal when the recording head hits it. How to do it?

I think one time I managed to to this when using flex machine on track 2 to play record buffer 1. When focus wasn’t on track 1 it worked as an continuous update, but when forcus was on track 1 buffer was deleted everytime on step 1.

I saved project and after restart of OT it didn’t behave this way.
I tried to replicate it with one shot recording trigs but with no effect.
If anyone knows how to do it, please help me.

Maybe it was a software bug. If so it would be cool to have this feature in the future updates.

That’s the case. It’s possible to read the buffer while recording.
What makes you think it doesn’t?
What do you want to achieve musically?

I know it is possible to read it. The problem is, that everytime recording starts over from the step 1 the initiation of the recording erases whole buffer.

One shot recording trigs are not helpful, because they make recording stop after reaching end of the buffer (in my case 16 steps). What I want is to make recording head treturn to step 1 and record but without erasing whole buffer.

Musically I want to warp and transform rythmically incoming audio. Basically to change playing orer of fragments of the buffer in real time. This was really cool once I got it, but after restarting OT behavior disappeared despite saving whole project.

Destructive looping?

I’m not sure if it will correspond to what you want to achieve but I experimented this things

With 2 recorders IIRC (have to find the thread)

:Destructive loop with 8 strings guitar + 3 drums sounds. Lower CUE send, for loop decay. Trig conditions to modulate the loop…

Destructive looping, from an existing sample…

With Recorder1 recording its buffer (SRC3=T1)