Dark Trinity Case WIP

Been wanting to build a proper case for a while now.
Got the wood cut, glued, nailed, sanded, with paint on the corners.
Need to make a few holes, then cover with tolex.
After that I’ll add the hardware, and start to wire up the I/O patching.

10 Likes

Oh wow - this looks goooooood!

A new business is born!
Looks good!

Very nice. Interested to see the final results :joy:

good idea with the patch bay - keep an eye on your temps though !

Looks great, I also thought about the ventilation on the analog machines tho! I recently stopped touching my Elektrons so they can breathe, not sure if its actually a big deal or not.

probably not a big deal in most climates - but there’s a lot more watts there with fewer options to vent every way, especially with warm neighbours !

They have ventilation on the bottom.
I’ve had them in a similar case like this for a while now, never had any heat issues, even with sessions lasting 12 hours.

I normally rush projects like this, gonna go easy on this one and try to get it as nice as I can. The tolex is gonna be tricky.

Can’t decide if I should put the power socket on the back, or on the right side.

On the corner. You’re welcome. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

on the top - then you can nudge up any way you like !

Got the Tolex, corner caps, and outlet on the bottom half. Need to do the lid, and eventually the semi-modular I/O.
I feel like I didn’t plan for the I/O jacks as well as I hoped for.

4 Likes

ahhh, Tolex looks wicked with the black Elektrons.

How are you powering these? Do you have a custom power supply or is it just going to a powerboard with the three original power packs plugged in?

Yeah, it looks nice!
I botched up a couple cuts but whatever, it’s my first go at the tolex.
After I put the glue on the tolex and let it set up, the pieces rolled up in a bad way. I thought I had ruined it, luckily I got them unrolled and applied.

The PSU’s are attached to a 3 socket extension cord that I soldered to the outside outlet.

Like this one, http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/610cfywwIbL.SL1000.jpg

However since its pluged in on both sides it barely fits behind the boxes.
When I actually try to implement the I/O matrix, I’m gonna have to find a solution to tighten up the chords and stuff.

Holy crap, I love this. excellent work.

Thanks!

looking good…keep us posted

Awesome work dude!
Does that black covering come in rolls that you stick on?

1 Like

Yes.
It was the first time I had done it, very tricky.
You paste the glue on the tolex, and the wood, let it sit, then apply the two together.
One thing I didn’t know, the tolex was gonna roll up all over itself with the glue on it.
Should have tapped the edges down before applying the glue.
It’s fairly malleable to get in place though, gratifying for sure.

I looked at a few videos on youTube of guys showing how to cover an amp until I found a good one.

IMO you need to add some more inches to the length. The AR needs more space at its sides, since that’s where the ventilation slots are located. If the slots are blocked, the machine will heat up to a dangerous point.